• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Rare book in grade 1 of 4 none higher!!

Hulk 181 - 119 copies in 9.6= $5000-6000?

Hulk 181 grades 9.8-9.9 - 16 copies - didn't a 9.8 copy fetch more than 10K recently.

Doesn't sound that crazy for a Hulk Collector!!

Again, you can't compare the first appearance of Wolverine to the first appearance of the Hulk in his regular title. Hulk 181, while being in tremendous demand by collectors, will also appeal to the outside investor looking to purchase a small number of notable books.

HG Hulk collectors are interested Hulk 181

Key collectors are interested in Hulk 181

Wolverine collectors/fans are interested in Hulk 181

X-Men collectors/fans are interested in Hulk 181

Outside investors are interested in Hulk 181

How many different groups does TTA 59 in 9.6 appeal to, especially for 10K?

it does seem like a house of cards when when an unimportant (sorry) book can get 10k in 9.6. I like the book as much as the next guy, but come on.

"beginning of mid 60s half-hulk/half-giantman series" doesn't quite sound as impressive as you would like for 10k

it does seem like a house of cards when when an unimportant (sorry) book can get 10k in 9.6. I like the book as much as the next guy, but come on.

How about $7100 for an FF #72 in 9.6! :screwy:

How about $7100 for an FF #72 in 9.6! :screwy:

Now that is insane!

Hulk # 181 - 3700 copies graded

TTA #59 - 139 copies graded

I'm not arguing the price, just the rarity, for a "Hulk " collector!

50 posts huh? Sounds like shill city with witty comments like that! hm

I dont understand the motivation behind the majority posts in this thread. IMO fans of the hobby should be happy. I cant tell if ppl are angry/jealous at/of the buyer/seller. Or perhaps people are scared that books they want are going to be out of financial range soon.

Congrat to the buyer and the seller (thumbs u . Im very happy for both of you.

anyone who says tta 59 isnt a key book i got 100 :makepoint: for ya

hey Green :hi:

i love the book which is why i bought a copy from you just recently. but to me these insane prices will only lead to one thing. a major crash just like the housing market.

:hi: my best argument....nu uh lol

10K+ for a 9.6 (1 of 4 I believe, so it's not even a one-and-only), and you'd be lucky to get $20 for a good copy of this book, so the spread is now 1:500? :o

Why not? The spread of G copies of this book compared to NM+ copies is probably 500:1.

Why not? Because that spread keeps getting higher and higher and higher. How high can it go before it drops like a lead balloon? hm

Certainly history is on the side of spreads continuing to rise, but it can't last forever can it?

Maybe it can, I dunno. But its waaaay too spicy a meatball for most collectors.

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

(worship)

I agree with Matt. Hey if paying $10K for an extremely abundant book, that will probably also prove to be abundant in 9.6 or better blows your shirt tail out, then more power to you.

I've paid $10k and much more for key books over the years, so I can't waggle my finger at those who do. But, I haven't, nor will I, pay that kind of money for a non-real key book in any grade.

I feel the same way about The Mile High Captain America #4 or whatever. Just not worth $10k or more to me. Certainly not a TTA 59. Not in 9.6, 9,8, 9.9 or 10.0. It's a cool silver age book of no real significance. Hanging a high grade on it and paying a large sum of money for it, doesn't change that in my view. The book is what it is. Batman #1, Captain America #1, et al, are big books no matter what the grade. That's my point.

But if it keeps the hobby moving forward, then I guess it is a good thing?? (shrug)

Next time one of you GA guys rambles on about Suspensce Comics, or some other GA obscure 'gem'... I'll be sure blurt out the obvious dumb arse response I just read above.

Saying TTA#59 isn't a key is delinquent in the extreme...Hulks first apperance in his own on-going tile.

What's 44 years of an ongoing title worth spanning four ages... gee talk about a complete non-event doh! doh! doh!

That's a little harsh.

What, b/c you don't agree then some of our "gems" aren't real "gems". But this TTA just has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread? A little hypocritical of you. You say obscure like that's a bad thing. And Maybe it is in your world considering TTA59 is anything but. Unless 4 copies in 9.6 and another 15 in 9.2 or better is obscure.

Usually the only rambling I see about suspense comics refers to issue 3. Which boasts a whopping 9 unrestored copies, the highest being an 8.0

I'll take this every time.

335_4_003.jpg

Like most of the GA guys have said here, whatever floats your boat. I can say that too and still think anybody who pays it is ing :screwy:

I believe his response was brought on by the statement I bolded from Bill's post. It boils down to the same old fued between GA and SA collectors and, in fact, collectors in general. "What I collect and others like me collect is great but what everyone else collects is garbage."

(thumbs u

Why not? Because that spread keeps getting higher and higher and higher. How high can it go before it drops like a lead balloon? hm

Certainly history is on the side of spreads continuing to rise, but it can't last forever can it?

If history has taught us anything it is that all exponential curves continue forever. :insane:

hey, do you think CGC would grade tulip bulbs? hm

Maybe we as collectors and hobbyists have become to smart for our own good. I mean Bill has a point, at 10k you can find a Batman #1 where even non-hobbyists would say WOW. Now we are paying 10k for 2nd tier keys, because the label says 9.6. If that book gets dropped, chances are it is no longer a 9.6 book but a 9.4 (or lower, in actual condition) that still sits in a 9.6 holder. If ever sold, the buyer is paying a premium for the label and not the actual book and here is where the problem lies. Very few books in comicdom are truly rare, so to set our collections apart from others we are paying sometimes stupid premiums for 9.6 and 9.8 books. We've done this to ourselves and I'm just as gulity as the next person. We need to find a way to correct it, as things are getting out of hand rather quickly. BTW it is a beautiful book, and I certainly appreciate it's historical importance.

Jim

Here is an interesting thought. We all admit that SA books are far more readily available in most grades than GA books.That is not in dispute and very easily quantifiable. What is not so easily meausred is the demand for these SA books. That is the main ingredient for these crazy prices. We all :o at the prices the HG AF #15's command. Can you imagine what it would command if there was say only one 9.4, one 8.0 and a few at or below 5.0? I dare say it would outstrip any action #1 or tec 27.

Or, is it the abundance of these SA books that makes them so popular?

Thoughts?

If ever sold, the buyer is paying a premium for the label and not the actual book and here is where the problem lies. Very few books in comicdom are truly rare, so to set our collections apart from others we are paying sometimes stupid premiums for 9.6 and 9.8 books. We've done this to ourselves and I'm just as gulity as the next person. We need to find a way to correct it, as things are getting out of hand rather quickly.

I agree with you. The solution is to collect for the love of collecting and not the social status your collection earns you within the community.