• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Without Hulk 1-6, TTA 59 might be closer to JIM 83 than TOS 58 in terms of key status, but the reason Hulk 102 and Captain America 100 are worth much more than TTA101 and TOS 99 is that traditionally collectors have considered these to be the "first" issues of their long running titles. Compare this to the Journey into Mystery 125/ Thor 126 relationship where the perception is that the title change was little more than a formality.

TTA 59 is still a key, but not a major one in the minds of many. How would people here rank it in relation to a book like Strange Tales 101?

Without Hulk 1-6, TTA 59 might be closer to JIM 83 than TOS 58 in terms of key status, but the reason Hulk 102 and Captain America 100 are worth much more than TTA101 and TOS 99 is that traditionally collectors have considered these to be the "first" issues of their long running titles. Compare this to the Journey into Mystery 125/ Thor 126 relationship where the perception is that the title change was little more than a formality.

TTA 59 is still a key, but not a major one in the minds of many. How would people here rank it in relation to a book like Strange Tales 101?

I consider it a "key" and it's a pretty big one for me...I am biased of course being a Hulk fan. I personally put it on the same level as the ST 101, TOS 58...maybe 2nd tier keys... (shrug)

It obviously doesn't compare with the 1st appearance keys, AF 15, JIM 83, FF 1 etc...

With that being said, it's a very important book in which the Hulk finally became a monthly mainstay in the Marvel Universe, I understand what brasseye is saying...He had previously had his own series which failed after 6 issues...he had appearances in FF 12,25,26 and got some face time in Avengers 1,2,3,5 after which he made an appearance in ASM 14 before finally getting his 2nd chance at an on-going title in TTA and there was no looking back. I think the book has been undervalued for a long time...but like I said earlier, time will tell if 10K is the benchmark or a one time thing.

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

(worship)

I agree with Matt. Hey if paying $10K for an extremely abundant book, that will probably also prove to be abundant in 9.6 or better blows your shirt tail out, then more power to you.

I've paid $10k and much more for key books over the years, so I can't waggle my finger at those who do. But, I haven't, nor will I, pay that kind of money for a non-real key book in any grade.

I feel the same way about The Mile High Captain America #4 or whatever. Just not worth $10k or more to me. Certainly not a TTA 59. Not in 9.6, 9,8, 9.9 or 10.0. It's a cool silver age book of no real significance. Hanging a high grade on it and paying a large sum of money for it, doesn't change that in my view. The book is what it is. Batman #1, Captain America #1, et al, are big books no matter what the grade. That's my point.

But if it keeps the hobby moving forward, then I guess it is a good thing?? (shrug)

Next time one of you GA guys rambles on about Suspensce Comics, or some other GA obscure 'gem'... I'll be sure blurt out the obvious dumb arse response I just read above.

Saying TTA#59 isn't a key is delinquent in the extreme...Hulks first apperance in his own on-going tile.

What's 44 years of an ongoing title worth spanning four ages... gee talk about a complete non-event doh! doh! doh!

That's a little harsh.

What, b/c you don't agree then some of our "gems" aren't real "gems". But this TTA just has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread? A little hypocritical of you. You say obscure like that's a bad thing. And Maybe it is in your world considering TTA59 is anything but. Unless 4 copies in 9.6 and another 15 in 9.2 or better is obscure.

Usually the only rambling I see about suspense comics refers to issue 3. Which boasts a whopping 9 unrestored copies, the highest being an 8.0

I'll take this every time.

335_4_003.jpg

Like most of the GA guys have said here, whatever floats your boat. I can say that too and still think anybody who pays it is ing :screwy:

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

(worship)

I agree with Matt. Hey if paying $10K for an extremely abundant book, that will probably also prove to be abundant in 9.6 or better blows your shirt tail out, then more power to you.

I've paid $10k and much more for key books over the years, so I can't waggle my finger at those who do. But, I haven't, nor will I, pay that kind of money for a non-real key book in any grade.

I feel the same way about The Mile High Captain America #4 or whatever. Just not worth $10k or more to me. Certainly not a TTA 59. Not in 9.6, 9,8, 9.9 or 10.0. It's a cool silver age book of no real significance. Hanging a high grade on it and paying a large sum of money for it, doesn't change that in my view. The book is what it is. Batman #1, Captain America #1, et al, are big books no matter what the grade. That's my point.

But if it keeps the hobby moving forward, then I guess it is a good thing?? (shrug)

Next time one of you GA guys rambles on about Suspensce Comics, or some other GA obscure 'gem'... I'll be sure blurt out the obvious dumb arse response I just read above.

Saying TTA#59 isn't a key is delinquent in the extreme...Hulks first apperance in his own on-going tile.

What's 44 years of an ongoing title worth spanning four ages... gee talk about a complete non-event doh! doh! doh!

That's a little harsh.

What, b/c you don't agree then some of our "gems" aren't real "gems". But this TTA just has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread? A little hypocritical of you. You say obscure like that's a bad thing. And Maybe it is in your world considering TTA59 is anything but. Unless 4 copies in 9.6 and another 15 in 9.2 or better is obscure.

Usually the only rambling I see about suspense comics refers to issue 3. Which boasts a whopping 9 unrestored copies, the highest being an 8.0

335_4_003.jpg

Like most of the GA guys have said here, whatever floats your boat. I can say that too and still think anybody who pays it is ing :screwy:

44 years...and still counting....ya rib on it, keep going.

Some 'wow', 'fantastic' GA book...that 99.99% of us has never seen other than a musty scan, if i can stop yawning enough to type.... I might have something to say here.

(worship)

That's a little harsh.

335_4_003.jpg

I believe his response was brought on by the statement I bolded from Bill's post. It boils down to the same old fued between GA and SA collectors and, in fact, collectors in general. "What I collect and others like me collect is great but what everyone else collects is garbage."

(worship)

That's a little harsh.

335_4_003.jpg

Some 'wow', 'fantastic' GA book...that 99.99% of us has never seen other than a musty scan, if i can stop yawning enough to type.... I might have something to say here.

The more you type, the more ignorant & arrogant you are sounding. You don't like it that's fine, but there are a lot of people who collect comics as an art form, rather than a series of first appearances. The suspense is an example of comics as art, and appeals to people who appreciate that.

Because you may have only seen a musty scan of a james ensor or a chaim soutine painting, they must not be as valuable as an artist whose work is more well known?

I dont understand the motivation behind the majority posts in this thread. IMO fans of the hobby should be happy. I cant tell if ppl are angry/jealous at/of the buyer/seller. Or perhaps people are scared that books they want are going to be out of financial range soon.

Congrat to the buyer and the seller (thumbs u . Im very happy for both of you.

anyone who says tta 59 isnt a key book i got 100 :makepoint: for ya

(worship)

That's a little harsh.

335_4_003.jpg

The more you type, the more ignorant & arrogant you are sounding. You don't like it that's fine, but there are a lot of people who collect comics as an art form, rather than a series of first appearances. The suspense is an example of comics as art, and appeals to people who appreciate that.

Because you may have only seen a musty scan of a james ensor or a chaim soutine painting, they must not be as valuable as an artist whose work is more well known?

ok ill bite, but im a young collector. I hold very little (none actually)value to "art" depicting a racist hate groups violence toward women. ymmv

And so the reductive arguments begin. One could say that TTA 59 is merely a depiction of a big green musclebound monster with a mean look on his face, which scarcely qualifies as art either.

Being someone who likes both GA and SA (and I would've assumed that it isn't impossible to be a fan of both eras at the same time) I wouldn't say that, of course (I have several copies of that book).

Carry on by all means...

No, no more from me. I never said the tta wasn't art, nor did I say I don't like the book. Art reflects what's going on it's time. It doesn't need to be pretty, and is often horrifying. This isn't the place for this discussion.

Agreed, although I never insinuated that you didn''t like Silver Age. :)

I don't have just a whole lot of faith in ComicLink's and Pedigree's numbers. Put those books on eBay and see what they bring. That would be a closer gauge as to their value. At least you have an idea of who's bidding and a measure of security that you aren't bidding against the moose head on the wall, so to speak. I know, it isn't fool proof by a long shot, but at least someone's name is in the winning bidder slot.

Plus, once these two or three people get their copy, what will this do to the value?

Apples and oranges, ebay is for who has disposable cash right there and then. Clink in pedigree you can get terms,etc.

Two very different scenario's when rationalising spending.

Again you're missing the obvious.

And explains why guys like Zillaf4 moved his recent high grade Firelake collection off ebay, to the clink. He got considerably better results.

zillaf4 sold the fire lake books on eBay. A bidder alleged to be Brutalo bid them up to insane levels and won most of them. What you see on CL is from him.

44 years? Am I supposed to be impressed by that?

I like SA. Used to collect SA. I just don't believe somebody paid 10K for that particular book. I didn't start bagging on SA. I just thought it hypocritical of you to slam GA b/c some people didn't hold this book in as high esteem as you do.

As for you having something to say. Hopefully what you say next will be worthwhile.

We see it constantly, particularly with uber books, GSX-men#1 9.8, Spidey #129, Hulk #181. They flatten out in price over a period, then do short periods of excelerated price escalation.

Nothing new there.

You can't compare TTA to those books, no matter how big of a Hulk fanboy you are. 1st appearances are another class of key. This book would be low on the list of priorities to a key collector, and only really appeals to someone who is looking to collect these runs in super high grade, as opposed to a Hulk 181 or an ASM 129 which stand on their own, as well as being part of a popular run.

He's known as avid collector, happy to pay to get the books he wants. And that in turn leaves him a very happy collector.

I've been that same collector many times over, and so have other's. Obviously not you, so best leave it be.

...we're just not your kind \:\/

Yep, you sound quite happy and content, and not at all like you're trying to rationalize your crazy purchases.

TTA #59 9.6 is now one of the safest books going, the new owner, and two 'black hole' collectors, Schmell, and Brulato hold 2 other's, then one floating around in another collection.

As for all those Spidey collectors out there... hm

Brulato and Schmell started buying these books when they were cheap, and did so diligently for years, from what I understand. The money they made (and continue to make) off of the hobby, not to mention the connections they've made, allow them to be "black hole" collectors and pay whatever they need to in order to upgrade.

In order for a book like this to turn out to be a good investment over the years, you're going to need new blood coming in to assemble these runs in 9.6/9.8. At these price points, and with an aging demographic, who is going to absorb all of these books when their current custodians move on, due to retirement, shifting priorities, death, etc..?

Rare book in grade 1 of 4 none higher!!

Hulk 181 - 119 copies in 9.6= $5000-6000?

Hulk 181 grades 9.8-9.9 - 16 copies - didn't a 9.8 copy fetch more than 10K recently.

Doesn't sound that crazy for a Hulk Collector!!

Hulk 181 grades 9.8-9.9 - 16 copies - didn't a 9.8 copy fetch more than 10K recently.

The demand for 181 FAR outstrips the demand for TTA 59. I've never even seen the cover to TTA 59 prior to this thread.

The demand for 181 FAR outstrips the demand for TTA 59. I've never even seen the cover to TTA 59 prior to this thread.

Nuff said!!

I've seen hundreds of 181 covers!! :grin:

I dont understand the motivation behind the majority posts in this thread. IMO fans of the hobby should be happy. I cant tell if ppl are angry/jealous at/of the buyer/seller. Or perhaps people are scared that books they want are going to be out of financial range soon.

Congrat to the buyer and the seller (thumbs u . Im very happy for both of you.

anyone who says tta 59 isnt a key book i got 100 :makepoint: for ya

hey Green :hi:

i love the book which is why i bought a copy from you just recently. but to me these insane prices will only lead to one thing. a major crash just like the housing market.