• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Are we entering a new phase of pricing for HG Marvels, a shot of speed pushing 3K books up to the 10K level? WHERE is this irrational exuberant enthusiasm coming from?

Beats the hell out of me. I'd love to know who is making these huge purchases.

I know there have been lots of theories about pressers buying the books to maximize their potential, but the prices being paid are so high that most, if not all, of the profit has already been priced in, and that's assuming the book really gets the higher grade.

Does anyone think the Vault books aren't already "maximized"? I seriously doubt that Doug would leave that much money on the table on these big dollar books.

^^

Not really given the current situation. I think we are on the verge of seeing a large amount of HG Silver making its way to the market.

At these prices, I can see lots of willing sellers...well, I can imagine them anyway. As they say, seeing is believing! :headbang:

I can't wait for the 9.8s to show up and tank the 9.6s. :)

You've not been paying attention, a lot of the big ticket books on clinks last auction are in numbers in the 9.6 category already... they're not all sitting like FF#50. And still the $$ are there each time.

Yes there is some backbone to this surge in the SA Marvel market (thumbs u

You've not been paying attention, a lot of the big ticket books on clinks last auction are in numbers in the 9.6 category already... they're not all sitting like FF#50. And still the $$ are there each time.

Time will out. (thumbs u

The spreads between low/mid-grade and HG has been increasing since OS #1 was published with a 1-2-3(?) spread for G-F-M(?), and has only been growing greater since CGC's inception. For most quality books, the value of lower grade copies has also increased, although not nearly as much as HG.

There are so many slabbed copies out there now, however, that I can't see Goods and Fines and even VF's of these books increasing in line with these huge increases in price of HG copies, and really, outside of the key SA and high-demand GA books, it seems prices for low/mid/not-quite HG copies have been coming down.

10K+ for a 9.6 (1 of 4 I believe, so it's not even a one-and-only), and you'd be lucky to get $20 for a good copy of this book, so the spread is now 1:500? :o

Looks like my guess was right :sick:

Yeah...I can't belive it sold for that much...thank goodness I already have my high grade copy... :headbang:

yea seriously, im that guy who got on the subway juuuust before the door slammed shut

You have a 9.6 copy ?

9.4's

Frankly...I don't believe it and think there's a little price manipulation going around...

Wouldn't be the first time. Hell...I'm not sure when it stopped...

Jim

I know and have spoken to both the buyer and the seller and I have no reason to believe that there was any price manipulation going on (shrug). The seller has been known to overprice his books :baiting::jokealert:

And, from what I know, the buyer has been known to pay whatever it takes to get the books he wants...

Whether or not this will equate to "market value" remains to be seen...I have personally bought and sold TTA 59 9.4's in the last month for 2600 and 3000 respectively...now, is a 9.6 woth 3.5x to 4x the 9.4's latest sale prices (shrug) Not to me, but to each his own!

Congrats on the sale and purchase guys!!

Nice book. But for 10k I would have wanted the cover to be whiter.

For $10K I would have wanted the cover to look more like this:

mm0140.jpg

OK, I admit I laughed at this one.

And agree with you, but as bighulk said..to each his own.

The Silver Age represents the nexus of easy availability in general and scarcity in super high grade, so I expect the ratios between grades to remain high or even increase, more so than Golden Age which is often relatively scarce in any grade, and frequently non-existent in super-high grade. so there is more upward pressure on low grade and .2 differences in high grade are not as dramatically important to collectors.

That being said, given the current economic climate these sort of prices do look like a bubble about to pop. Granted there are always some collectors with enough disposable income to afford books like this, and some may even feel that high grade Silver is a better place to put one's money than most investments right now, but other collectors will see this as a time to cash out, especially if they still plan on retiring on time/paying for the children's college/meeting the reset on their upsidedown mortgage. Not only will they start divesting, but they will also stop investing in comics, so their will be less competition for the unique or at least super-scarce uber-grade books. I think it will be along time before a TTA #59 sells for 10K or more again.

And that cover does look awfully yellow to have garnered such a premium.

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

(worship)

I agree with Matt. Hey if paying $10K for an extremely abundant book, that will probably also prove to be abundant in 9.6 or better blows your shirt tail out, then more power to you.

I've paid $10k and much more for key books over the years, so I can't waggle my finger at those who do. But, I haven't, nor will I, pay that kind of money for a non-real key book in any grade.

I feel the same way about The Mile High Captain America #4 or whatever. Just not worth $10k or more to me. Certainly not a TTA 59. Not in 9.6, 9,8, 9.9 or 10.0. It's a cool silver age book of no real significance. Hanging a high grade on it and paying a large sum of money for it, doesn't change that in my view. The book is what it is. Batman #1, Captain America #1, et al, are big books no matter what the grade. That's my point.

But if it keeps the hobby moving forward, then I guess it is a good thing?? (shrug)

Nice book. But for 10k I would have wanted the cover to be whiter.

For $10K I would have wanted the cover to look more like this:

mm0140.jpg

OK, I admit I laughed at this one.

And agree with you, but as bighulk said..to each his own.

lol

Thanks Kenny, I was hoping someone would pick up on the yellow double entendre as well.

There are so many slabbed copies out there now, however, that I can't see Goods and Fines and even VF's of these books increasing in line with these huge increases in price of HG copies, and really, outside of the key SA and high-demand GA books, it seems prices for low/mid/not-quite HG copies have been coming down.

Quite true, I'd say it's cheaper to get a slabbed 8.5 over a raw VG+ right now, and a few books break through this barrier, where lower grades are not only stagnant, but in reverse price wise. But laying this at CGC's door would be nieve. The proliferation, and all hours access to books on www is the driver for this (thumbs u

10K+ for a 9.6 (1 of 4 I believe, so it's not even a one-and-only), and you'd be lucky to get $20 for a good copy of this book, so the spread is now 1:500? :o

4 9.6's isn't really considered a lot.. FF#55 hit the same dollars on clinks recent auction, and there's what 13! copies in 9.6.

4 is not a lot.

I don't have just a whole lot of faith in ComicLink's and Pedigree's numbers. Put those books on eBay and see what they bring. That would be a closer gauge as to their value. At least you have an idea of who's bidding and a measure of security that you aren't bidding against the moose head on the wall, so to speak. I know, it isn't fool proof by a long shot, but at least someone's name is in the winning bidder slot.

Plus, once these two or three people get their copy, what will this do to the value?

I don't have just a whole lot of faith in ComicLink's and Pedigree's numbers. Put those books on eBay and see what they bring. That would be a closer gauge as to their value. At least you have an idea of who's bidding and a measure of security that you aren't bidding against the moose head on the wall, so to speak. I know, it isn't fool proof by a long shot, but at least someone's name is in the winning bidder slot.

Plus, once these two or three people get their copy, what will this do to the value?

Apples and oranges, ebay is for who has disposable cash right there and then. Clink in pedigree you can get terms,etc.

Two very different scenario's when rationalising spending.

Again you're missing the obvious.

And explains why guys like Zillaf4 moved his recent high grade Firelake collection off ebay, to the clink. He got considerably better results.