• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Well said.

It has nothing to do with self esteem or feeding an ego, my customers feed my ego everyday :acclaim:

The chase and find and having a sweet looking HG copy you can afford is what its all about, for me anyways.

If people are collecting for those reasons specified, then its only a temporary fix/high and usually doesn't last.

Collectors need to question why they are, in this case and in general, vastly overpaying to "set their collection apart". Is this a contest? Do they need the attention? Why are they collecting comics at all? In the whole scheme of things, having the best comic, or collection, around doesn't mean much...and is impressive to a very narrow audience who really don't have any bearing on your normal life.

If you're balancing your self-esteem on comics, then be ready when reality smacks you down hard for some foolish and expensive choices...

Jim

Read my post above, Jim. Why must the assumption be that anyone who wants to have a top collection wants attention? The evidence seems to be that most of the top collectors are actually lower profile than the average collector. Similarly, what`s with this myth that collectors of top books must have fragile self- esteem? So you think Dave Anderson`s going to have a nervous breakdown if a better copy of Action 1 emerges? And why this belief that wanting a top collection isn`t a genuine reason for collecting? Why the hell not? Because that`s not what YOU value in collecting?

How about the person just wants to own really nice looking copies, because they`re tough to find? How about the person could have a complete run of TTA in krapola grade in no time at all, so would derive no enjoyment from doing that? How about the person isn`t in the same economic circumstances as yourself, so dropping $10K on a book isn`t something that`s going to make or break him, even if the value of the book dropped to zero tomorrow? You have a lot of qualities, Jim, but the ability to see the world from other people`s eyes is not one of them.

Well I've obviously hit a nerve here...

A smart person can have a "really nice looking" copy for a fraction of what was paid for this one. It's clear whoever bought this copy was buying the number, NOT the relative "niceness" of the book.

And if they have $10K to blow on a comic...more power to them. But seeing how they vastly overspent on a number instead of the book tends to look like more self-grandiose fullfillment than an actual wanting of the book. And yes, I'd say there's some self-esteem issues at play here...

Jim

If people are collecting for those reasons specified, then its only a temporary fix/high and usually doesn't last.

True...comic collecting, and buying, usually only gives a true rush when buying an upgrade or missing issue. After it's obtained, the rush passes quickly until the next target is seen. It's an never-ending cycle...that can be quite expensive should you fall into that trap. And god knows, there are many on this Forum who fit the profile to a T...

Jim

Well I've obviously hit a nerve here...

Yes you have, because I`m so tired of the constant blanket misrepresentation of the motives of high grade collectors.

A smart person can have a "really nice looking" copy for a fraction of what was paid for this one. It's clear whoever bought this copy was buying the number, NOT the relative "niceness" of the book.

So now the issue is whether the person acquired their collection in the most cost effective manner? I had no idea that was one of the rules of the game. How do you know how this copy stacks up against other copies? Have you seen it in person, and have you seen copies in 9.4 slabs that were clearly equal or superior? Or are you saying that no 9.6 copy is superior enough to any 9.4 copy as to justify the price differential? If so, who gave you the right to make that judgment?

And if they have $10K to blow on a comic...more power to them. But seeing how they vastly overspent on a number instead of the book tends to look like more self-grandiose fullfillment than an actual wanting of the book. And yes, I'd say there's some self-esteem issues at play here...

Jim

Why are you getting so worked up over what someone else was willing to spend on a book? Your feelings seem to go beyond just mere disagreement with the price that he paid, and into sheer loathing. Got some self-esteem issues? :baiting:

True...comic collecting, and buying, usually only gives a true rush when buying an upgrade or missing issue. After it's obtained, the rush passes quickly until the next target is seen. It's an never-ending cycle...that can be quite expensive should you fall into that trap. And god knows, there are many on this Forum who fit the profile to a T...

Jim

Jim that is not really true. I have not bought a book for my personal collection in months IIRC, but I get a rush just knowinng what I own and looking at the artwork. I'm primarily a visual person though so it may be different for other types.

I have to agree with Tim...too many people try to pick apart other people's reason for collecting. There are no two people alike in any respect so anybody trying to understand another person will fail in trying to rationalize it.

Sorry, but the guy is free to blow whatever he wants on a comic and if he justifies it in his own mind FOR WHATEVER REASON then that is cool with me.

R.

Why are you getting so worked up over what someone else was willing to spend on a book? Your feelings seem to go beyond just mere disagreement with the price that he paid, and into sheer loathing. Got some self-esteem issues? :baiting:

No...it's called being extremely stupid...or having more disposable income than a smart person should be allowed to control...

There's no loathing involved here...just a realization that there truly are suckers born every minute. And people out there who are more than happy to cater to, or defend, them....

Jim

No...it's called being extremely stupid...or having more disposable income than a smart person should be allowed to control...

There's no loathing involved here...just a realization that there truly are suckers born every minute. And people out there who are more than happy to cater to, or defend, them....

Jim

Jim the only thing stupid is your closed minded, conservative, judgemental point of view of everything that does not line up with your point of view.

Seriously Jim, you always come across as angry.

I work in an industry where people will pay a $50,000 premium on a $200,000 car just to be the first to own it.

To them the $50,000 premium is like me paying $50 for a 9.8 modern for my collection.

Neither of us is stupid. Why is that so hard to understand?

If the money is irrelevant to him and but relevant to us then we will never be able to wrap our minds around it. Why always attack it?

R.

Jim

Couldn't your argument be applied to any amount spent on a comic book? I mean to someone who doesn't collect, couldn't $50 or even $100 seem an extravagant amount to spend on a funny book? How much is too much?

Jim

Jim the only thing stupid is your closed minded, conservative, judgemental point of view of everything that does not line up with your point of view.

Seriously Jim, you always come across as angry.

I work in an industry where people will pay a $50,000 premium on a $200,000 car just to be the first to own it.

To them the $50,000 premium is like me paying $50 for a 9.8 modern for my collection.

Neither of us is stupid. Why is that so hard to understand?

If the money is irrelevant to him and but relevant to us then we will never be able to wrap our minds around it. Why always attack it?

R.

Because next thing you know...someone will post a copy in the Marketplace or god knows where else and try to use this price as a basis. Do it enough times and people start to think it's valid when all it is is an aberation. The smart collectors know this but most others do not.

That's not something that should be celebrated or accepted but called out and identified for what it is when it happens...

Jim

Jim

Couldn't your argument be applied to any amount spent on a comic book? I mean to someone who doesn't collect, couldn't $50 or even $100 seem an extravagant amount to spend on a funny book? How much is too much?

That is exactly my point. It's all relative. One person thinks spending $3 on a modern is too much, one person thinks spending $50 on a modern is too much, one person thinks spending $1500 on a modern is too much. Who is right?

Well said, Doc.

R.

Oh, I'm not saying that I completely disagree with Jim, I just want to know how he arrives at a breaking point.

You were dis-agreeing and you liked it.

:devil:

Jim

There's a huge difference between overpaying a couple $100 and a couple thousand... lol

Jim

Jim

There's a huge difference between overpaying a couple $100 and a couple thousand... lol

Jim

Hey now, you are starting to hit a little close to home. :eek:

Jim

Jim

Only in your world and my world....but in a world where the guy overpays by $50,000 and is not worried about it I would dis-agree. Can't you step outside your little bubble for one minute?

Do you worry about stepping on ants when you go for a walk in the sun with your family? Do you worry about dropping $0.14 in change out of your pocket while sitting in a car? Do you worry about buying a cup of coffee and then not finishing it?

Is it not possible that $100,000 to one person is like $10 to another?

R.

R.

Highly likely. I have a few customers that 100k is no more then a drop in the bucket for them, but those guys don't collect funny books ;)

R.

Highly likely. I have a few customers that 100k is no more then a drop in the bucket for them, but those guys don't collect funny books ;)

Some do.

;) ;)

You know, you remind me of a client in Korea back in 1998 who was railing against US economic practices. Fortunately, he and I were on good enough terms that I used to be able to say to him "If he US is so up and Korea is so great, remind me again why Korea is the one in a financial crisis and has to borrow money from the IMF? Maybe you need to look at the top dog and try to figure out what it is he`s doing right that makes him a top dog, and emulate him, rather than what he`s doing wrong."

In your case, maybe instead of automatically assuming that someone who can casually drop $10K is stupid, maybe you should try to figure out why that guy is smart enough to have $10K to drop.

Oh, I'm not saying that I completely disagree with Jim, I just want to know how he arrives at a breaking point.

There isn't...you just know it when you see it. And this is one of those times...

Jim

You DO understand that the rest of the world looks at anyone who spends more than $1 for a comic and thinks that the breaking point has been reached already, right?