• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

TTA #59 9.6 is now one of the safest books going, the new owner, and two 'black hole' collectors, Schmell, and Brulato hold 2 other's, then one floating around in another collection.

As for all those Spidey collectors out there... hm

I don't have just a whole lot of faith in ComicLink's and Pedigree's numbers. Put those books on eBay and see what they bring. That would be a closer gauge as to their value. At least you have an idea of who's bidding and a measure of security that you aren't bidding against the moose head on the wall, so to speak. I know, it isn't fool proof by a long shot, but at least someone's name is in the winning bidder slot.

Plus, once these two or three people get their copy, what will this do to the value?

Apples and oranges, ebay is for who has disposable cash right there and then. Clink in pedigree you can get terms,etc.

Two very different scenario's when rationalising spending.

Again you're missing the obvious.

And explains why guys like Zillaf4 moved his recent high grade Firelake collection off ebay, to the clink. He got considerably better results.

I'm not missing the obvious. I am asking questions. Plus, if someone is buying $10,000 books on terms, well, all I can say is I hope it's worth that by the time they pay it off. Let's ask the guy who bought Doug's X-Men 94 9.8 about a year and a half ago...

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

well i guess i'll be the first to say it then.

i think whoever paid that much cash or more likely credit for that book is :screwy:

and i don't care what the reason or how important it is to that person. :sumo:

I don't have just a whole lot of faith in ComicLink's and Pedigree's numbers. Put those books on eBay and see what they bring. That would be a closer gauge as to their value. At least you have an idea of who's bidding and a measure of security that you aren't bidding against the moose head on the wall, so to speak. I know, it isn't fool proof by a long shot, but at least someone's name is in the winning bidder slot.

Plus, once these two or three people get their copy, what will this do to the value?

Apples and oranges, ebay is for who has disposable cash right there and then. Clink in pedigree you can get terms,etc.

Two very different scenario's when rationalising spending.

Again you're missing the obvious.

And explains why guys like Zillaf4 moved his recent high grade Firelake collection off ebay, to the clink. He got considerably better results.

I'm not missing the obvious. I am asking questions. Plus, if someone is buying $10,000 books on terms, well, all I can say is I hope it's worth that by the time they pay it off. Let's ask the guy who bought Doug's X-Men 94 9.8 about a year and a half ago...

Again your missing the obvious.

Premiums are constantly being paid for key books in key grade. Based on the assumption that the value of the book will rise over time. If your saying books are not allowed to dip at some point along that journey, then your clinging to a very narrow view of reality.

We see it constantly, particularly with uber books, GSX-men#1 9.8, Spidey #129, Hulk #181. They flatten out in price over a period, then do short periods of excelerated price escalation.

Nothing new there.

Perhaps one day, if the good Lord sees fit, I will become as enlightened as you are now and everything will become... obvious. (thumbs u

Doc, no drama required. Someone paid a good price for a book they were searching high and low for. And paid a price that wrestled it from a collection that otherwise wouldn't of let it go.

Is the price high... yes.

Will it be a profitable purchase... I sincerely think so.

Is profitability the main concern here, ....for the buyer I don't think so.

He's known as avid collector, happy to pay to get the books he wants. And that in turn leaves him a very happy collector.

I've been that same collector many times over, and so have other's. Obviously not you, so best leave it be.

...we're just not your kind :/

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

(worship)

I agree with Matt. Hey if paying $10K for an extremely abundant book, that will probably also prove to be abundant in 9.6 or better blows your shirt tail out, then more power to you.

I've paid $10k and much more for key books over the years, so I can't waggle my finger at those who do. But, I haven't, nor will I, pay that kind of money for a non-real key book in any grade.

I feel the same way about The Mile High Captain America #4 or whatever. Just not worth $10k or more to me. Certainly not a TTA 59. Not in 9.6, 9,8, 9.9 or 10.0. It's a cool silver age book of no real significance. Hanging a high grade on it and paying a large sum of money for it, doesn't change that in my view. The book is what it is. Batman #1, Captain America #1, et al, are big books no matter what the grade. That's my point.

But if it keeps the hobby moving forward, then I guess it is a good thing?? (shrug)

Next time one of you GA guys rambles on about Suspensce Comics, or some other GA obscure 'gem'... I'll be sure blurt out the obvious dumb arse response I just read above.

Saying TTA#59 isn't a key is delinquent in the extreme...Hulks first apperance in his own on-going tile.

What's 44 years of an ongoing title worth spanning four ages... gee talk about a complete non-event doh! doh! doh!

Perhaps one day, if the good Lord sees fit, I will become as enlightened as you are now and everything will become... obvious. (thumbs u

Doc, no drama required. Someone paid a good price for a book they were searching high and low for. And paid a price that wrestled it from a collection that otherwise wouldn't of let it go.

Is the price high... yes.

Will it be a profitable purchase... I sincerely think so.

Is profitability the main concern here, ....for the buyer I don't think so.

He's known as avid collector, happy to pay to get the books he wants. And that in turn leaves him a very happy collector.

I've been that same collector many times over, and so have other's. Obviously not you, so best leave it be.

...we're just not your kind :/

I have been where you are in the past and luckily I came to my senses. You are certainly correct in the fact that your kind need to stick together as obviously you are the only the ones who can tolerate one another. Good day, mate.

Are there only 2 or 3 collectors of high grade runs for each title (shrug)

meh

No idea. Doubt there are an abundance of collectors out there who are going to drop 10K on this book though.

Doesn't really matter. If the collector is happy with his purchase....it's all good. (thumbs u

BTW - Are you the seller?

I have been where you are in the past and luckily I came to my senses. You are certainly correct in the fact that your kind need to stick together as obviously you are the only the ones who can tolerate one another. Good day, mate.

Drama upon drama, pull your head out of your... oh nevermind.

Next time one of you GA guys rambles on about Suspensce Comics, or some other GA obscure 'gem'... I'll be sure blurt out the obvious dumb arse response I just read above.

Suspense Comics... :cloud9:

Bad example though, the Suspense Comics market has plummetted from it's highs when it was a rare/obscure title to a relatively common 3rd-tier GA horror book with a small following of LB Cole collectors. There were some great deals to be had on the last Clink auction for these books though! (thumbs u

suspense10.jpg

Suspense Comics... :cloud9:

Bad example though, the Suspense Comics market has plummetted from it's highs when it was a rare/obscure title to a relatively common 3rd-tier GA horror book with a small following of LB Cole collectors. There were some great deals to be had on the last Clink auction for these books though! (thumbs u

I think he was probbably referring to #3, which is still overheated despite no longer being obscure (not since the Gerbers, for that matter). It's still a gem in the very real sense of the word as the cover is quintessentially GA.

The books after that issue are as you said. Should've bid on a few of 'em, dammit.

I'll always consider Hulk's first appearance in his own ongoing title The Incredible Hulk #1.

:news: issue 7... it's a tricky one to track down :foryou:

So, because it was canceled it doesn't qualify as ongoing? If you wish to use logic like that, then Hulk #102 would be his first appearance in his own ongoing title. How does TTA qualify as "his own" title when it existed for years without him, and how during his run he shared it with either Giant Man or the Sub Mariner? I guess it qualifies in order to suit somebody's hype.