• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: I deleted the sound on my computer. Fixed now! Thanks Guys

40 posts in this topic

How do I get it back? I did this awhile ago, but really need to fix it. I guess I deleted a program or part of one, what do I do? Can I just download a program free on the internet, or do I have to pick something up?

I know... Im a jackazz :blush:

Find the manufacturer and model of your sound card, visit the manufacturers website and search the drivers section for your model.

Download them and install them. What program did you delete?

This could be too obvious....

BUT HAVE YOU REBOOTED?

Your system should detect the sound card if you've really deleted or disabled the sound card.

Also, Windows Update could screw up your system on occasion. If it's recently upgraded your sound driver, try rolling it back to a previous version.

OK.

1. What is your Operating System (OS)?

2. If it is a tower, do you have external speakers attached?

If the answers to (1) above is Windows XP or Vista, can you see a small speaker in the System Tray (SysTray) in the bottom right hand corner of the screen?

Does it have a small red circle with a diagonal slash on top of it?

I am trying to work out if the sound has been deleted or just muted.

When ever something like this happens to my Mother she calls me and I tell her she needs a new computer so I don't have to trouble shoot on the phone.

That probably won't help you at all.

I will tell you that trouble shooting on the phone is a lot easier then through a message board. PM me and I will give you my number and try and help out.

A quick way to diagnose this:

1) Go to START then CONTROL PANEL

2) Double Click on SOUNDS abd AUDIO DEVICES

3) At the top of that window are some tabs. Click on AUDIO

You will see something like the pic below. Tell us what it shows for the SOUND PLAYBACK under DEFAULT DEVICE.

Also, click on the little down arrow to the right and tell us what it shows. This is a place to see what sound devices are ojn your system and will allow you to select one as the default, if you have the drivers installed for your sound card.

This will at least verify what your computer thinks is installed.

69471.jpg.10b4238a360f58a4e122225acc050f23.jpg

You will see something like the pic below. Tell us what it shows for the SOUND PLAYBACK under DEFAULT DEVICE.

Also, click on the little down arrow to the right and tell us what it shows. This is a place to see what sound devices are ojn your system and will allow you to select one as the default, if you have the drivers installed for your sound card.

No device it says

No device it says

Read the second post in this thread :gossip: