• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Member - Helpful Tips

20 posts in this topic

Hi All: I'm a new member and a new OA buyer and I was wondering if anyone could share some tips to help out a newbie?

I have a couple of items so far not OA but signed limited prints, and one actual OA. and I have one commission out there yet to be completed as well as a few sketch books.

I was wondering if it is worth it to buy some less expensive panel pages from my favourite artist to slowly build my collection or is it worth it to save and buy the more expensive pages?

I have, so far, bought from ComicLink (featured auction) and I have a few bids in on e-bay and I have been looking on a lot of the original comic art webpages.

Any tips would be appreciated!

I would rather have the best pieces I could afford. Rather that a bunch of cheap pages I would rather buy a few pieces I really loved that are worth framing and displaying. You will also find it easier to sell the great pages down the road if you ever need to sell.

Who is your fav. artist?

Thanks for the comments. I would only buy less expensive pieces I liked from the artist I like. I wouldn't buy random pieces just to have them. I want pieces I can enjoy moreso than something to squirrel away to hopefully resale for profit.

My favorite artist is Ted McKeever and I am looking at his comic art fan page for a couple of pages. He is also the person I have the commission order with.

I also like Chris Bachalo, Duncan Fegredo, Mike Mignola, Walter Simonson (Thor is my favourite character), Ditko, Lee, etc. Ditko and Lee are of course too pricey for the good pieces. I really have a wide range of artist as I have been reading comics for a good thirty years, but I wasn't smart enough to collect them as a kid so my collection is only from the early/mid eighties.

How about you? Who do you collect, read? Do you have many pieces of OA?

I've always been into comics but started picking up original art the last few years. Only have about 10 pages. First page I bought was a Kirby Forever People page. All my other pages are my favorite characters, the Fantastic Four. I don't have a scanner that can handle OA but I do have a few scans.

I really like this page that I got off Ebay last year.

ff507p14-1.jpg

Purchase this summer from Ebay. I don't buy very many comics from Ebay but I've never had a problem buying OA

sienkiewicz-sinnott-FF222p51.jpg

I'm planning to buy some frames from this guy, very cheap and easy to switch pages in and out. I know a few board members who like his frames so I think they are good quality.

http://www.frameitagainsam.com/

I was wondering if it is worth it to buy some less expensive panel pages from my favourite artist to slowly build my collection or is it worth it to save and buy the more expensive pages?

Well, that would depend on if it is more important for you to have art by your favorite artist, or if you'd rather have a more valuable piece.

For me, one of my personal favorite pieces is a panel page from Web Of Spider-Man #92, that I bought directly from artist Alex Saviuk. It wasn't very expensive, as far as OA prices go, and it isn't what one would call one of the most visually impressive peices ever done, but the page had a lot of emotional resonance with me and was one of my favorite moment from Alex's run on the series.

So, I guess the best advice I can give you, is simply to buy OA that means something to you personally. Whether it's a panel page or a splash page, a cover or a commission, if it has meaning for you, that's all that matters most. Expensive or cheap is really very low on the totum pole of importance, to me. A piece that resonates with you is truly priceless. :)

Hope that was of some help to you. (thumbs u

The frames are nice because you just load in different pages through the top. Glad you like the FF splash page, I sure do. The other page doesn't have any action but I do like the artist and the character development between Sue and Franklin.

My rule of thumb, never buy a page of art unless I would be willing to frame it and display it on the wall.

The only other page I have scanned is the page that follows the splash. Noticed it on Ebay and realized it was sequential.

ff507pg15.jpg

I would like to pick up a G Land splash page from his FF zombie arc. I know a lot of people don't like his art but I do. Don't have this page but may pick it up.

uff31cover.jpg

I'm planning to buy some frames from this guy, very cheap and easy to switch pages in and out. I know a few board members who like his frames so I think they are good quality.

My apologies in advance to the owner of this company if he's on the board and feels slighted because I've called him out.

Anyone with even a modicum of experience in archiving would know that you never ever EVER allow the art to touch the glass/plexi. Ever.

I'm looking at these things and I can't help but shake my head. Call me a frame snob if you want, but I can't fathom dropping a piece worth anything into a frame like that. If you do, definitely don't leave it for more than a few weeks at a time. Certainly don't drop anything in there that had markers used on it. At least not if you actually want stuff to come out of there looking like it did when it went in.

For cheap record covers? For cheap copies of comics? For cheap prints? By all means.

For OA? I wouldn't put YOUR art in there, much less mine.

My advice to the art newbie?

Buy what you really truly love. If there's an artist whose work you desire, save for just the right piece. Save for as long as it takes. Don't buy on impulse, and don't buy on the cheap because it's there. Put the money aside until you have enough to go shopping and can pick and choose. If there's nothing out there available that truly excites you by that artist, and just other lesser pieces.... for god's sake, don't settle. Wait it out. The "right" piece will always come along eventually. Otherwise you'll dump a 3rd of your dough on a piece you don't 100% love, and the following week the perfect piece will pop up (it always does) and you'll be spent.

The novice jumps right in with the money burning a hole in their pocket. It's the patient man that snatches up the prize when it turns up.

Once you have that piece, do a bit of research. Talk to some knowledgeable folks, and you can get that prize framed safely and in an archival manner that will ensure you can enjoy the piece as long as you wish, rather that face potential damage at the hand of having saved a few ill-spent dollars.

My .02¢

-e.

As an analogy . . .

You wouldn't buy a CD recording of a song you didn't really enjoy hearing, by a singer you were less than crazy about.

So, if you're taking the plunge into OA:

Love the image.

Appreciate the talent of the illustrator.

High prices don't necessarily equate to the best pieces.

In recent years I've bought art I really enjoy for reasonable prices.

Collect OA to please yourself, not to impress your peer group. (thumbs u

I would add a few splashes or a cover to compare with panel pages. I wound up realizing I didn't really like panel pages much after owning some covers and splashes and since starting my new collection have not added any panel pages. It's not to say I won't but I would think about it for a long time before actually buying one. I definitely recommend buying what you like and possibly sitting down to figure out a guideline for criteria of things to go into your collection, or you may wind up with a bunch of stuff you won't want 6 months later. Also no impulse buys as that will throw you off too. I already feel like my collection is getting too big at 13 pieces since I want to frame everything I get. At least looking at it there is only one piece I probably could have gone without and it was by far the cheapest.

the following week the perfect piece will pop up (it always does) and you'll be spent.

The novice jumps right in with the money burning a hole in their pocket. It's the patient man that snatches up the prize when it turns up.

e.

well said

Anyone with even a modicum of experience in archiving would know that you never ever EVER allow the art to touch the glass/plexi. Ever.

I'm looking at these things and I can't help but shake my head. Call me a frame snob if you want, but I can't fathom dropping a piece worth anything into a frame like that. If you do, definitely don't leave it for more than a few weeks at a time. Certainly don't drop anything in there that had markers used on it. At least not if you actually want stuff to come out of there looking like it did when it went in.

For cheap record covers? For cheap copies of comics? For cheap prints? By all means.

Then, perhaps you'd like to enlighten everyone on a proper procedure to doing so? Or maybe recommend some person/service to do it? If you have the knowledge, please share. :)

I don't think the owner of the frame company is around, but on the website I thought it mentioned that you put the OA in a UV protective vinyl sleeve then you put it in the frame. I am not sure as I have never bought one but it is something, framing, I will consider when I get some great pages.

I already have that one piece coming from my favorite artist via a commission and again I would only be looking at buying pages from artist I like and pages I like. My question was more along those lines. i.e. should I buy a few (for example) Ducan Fregado panel pages or look for the cover/splash page. I guess either works as long as I am buying pieces I love. I am not looking to buy a pile of mediocre pages just to have but rather a few pages I love from artist I love. So I guess in essence I have answered my own question.

Thanks for your .02 I appreciate the input and I will mull over the options out there. Of course there are so many websites selling OA the selection is sometimes over whelming.

I agree but as I am just beginning some of those covers and splashes are a little out of my budget. I could either save my money, as has been recommended, to wait to get the nice cover or splash or I could buy a couple of panels of work I love just to get my feet wet. I want a bit of a mixture between panels, splashes, covers, and maybe a couple of commissions.

Man that was a stroke of luck the find the next page on e-bay. They are great pages and would look great framed together.

The first buy I did is this page from Tomb of Dracula #4 page 13. It isn't anything special but I love the overall look of the graphics. I like the vertical panels and the composition of the piece. Again it wasn't anything mind blowing but I liked the look and it was very inexpensive.

l_60be143f688244a1b962360601721ef0.jpg

The primary artist name is JAMIE TOLAGSON and the inker's name is TOM PALMER.

My apologies in advance to the owner of this company if he's on the board and feels slighted because I've called him out.

My advice to the art newbie?

Buy what you really truly love. If there's an artist whose work you desire, save for just the right piece. Save for as long as it takes. Don't buy on impulse, and don't buy on the cheap because it's there. Put the money aside until you have enough to go shopping and can pick and choose. If there's nothing out there available that truly excites you by that artist, and just other lesser pieces.... for god's sake, don't settle. Wait it out. The "right" piece will always come along eventually. Otherwise you'll dump a 3rd of your dough on a piece you don't 100% love, and the following week the perfect piece will pop up (it always does) and you'll be spent.

Once you have that piece, do a bit of research. Talk to some knowledgeable folks, and you can get that prize framed safely and in an archival manner that will ensure you can enjoy the piece as long as you wish, rather that face potential damage at the hand of having saved a few ill-spent dollars.

My .02¢

-e.

Thanks for that Eric, I was planning to buy a couple of these frames hoping they were a decent cheap alternative to framing OA but you've certainly changed my mind.

Man that was a stroke of luck the find the next page on e-bay. They are great pages and would look great framed together.

The first buy I did is this page from Tomb of Dracula #4 page 13. It isn't anything special but I love the overall look of the graphics. I like the vertical panels and the composition of the piece. Again it wasn't anything mind blowing but I liked the look and it was very inexpensive.

l_60be143f688244a1b962360601721ef0.jpg

The primary artist name is JAMIE TOLAGSON and the inker's name is TOM PALMER.

Great looking page. I agree that the vertical panels are effective and attractive.

Then, perhaps you'd like to enlighten everyone on a proper procedure to doing so? Or maybe recommend some person/service to do it? If you have the knowledge, please share. :)

If you are in the Los Angeles area, try "Artist's Eye" in Encino. I also go to Michaels now that I have moved further away from LA. Just deal with reputable people you can trust. Ask around for referrals but I always get my better pieces framed by professionals