• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

that just strikes me really really silly. the person trying to get that price as well

as anyone who would pay for it.

this market is insane.

Why?

This book has not sold for $1,750.

It will not sell for $1,750.

The seller might be insane, but that's pretty much it.

I think the seller is overplaying the significance of Todd McFarlane signing of this book, Todd McFarlane has nothing to do with the success of GI JOE and if someone wanted Todd McFarlane`s signature it can be had easily for under a $100 for his Spawn or Haunt stuff.

I disagree re. the value of McFarlane's signature--I value it far more depending on the book. I'd pay a much higher premium for a McFarlane signature on say...Hulk 340 or Detective 575-578 than on Spawn 1 or Spider-Man 1.

For me, it's the signature on the item that gives the value, not the sig itself.

For GI Joe, he was the cover artist for awhile, right? I'd think that'd be cool (and far more rare) than say...his sig on any of his ASM work.

I disagree re. the value of McFarlane's signature--I value it far more depending on the book. I'd pay a much higher premium for a McFarlane signature on say...Hulk 340 or Detective 575-578 than on Spawn 1 or Spider-Man 1.

For me, it's the signature on the item that gives the value, not the sig itself.

For GI Joe, he was the cover artist for awhile, right? I'd think that'd be cool (and far more rare) than say...his sig on any of his ASM work.

That's awesome. And it makes a lot of sense. But when you've been in the SS game for a while, you will realize that while McFarlane is a tougher sig, he is not even in the top 20 toughest. It just takes a little patience and a little time and you can get whatever you want signed. So there is no need to pay an obscene premium just because a lot of people haven't had the book done yet.

Personally, I feel exactly the same way you do. I got 'Tec 576, ASM 300, ASM 298 and Hulk 330 done in my 1st batch of McFarlane books. I can't wait to get some Coyotes done next. :cloud9:

I would have put Mike Zeck in the "great-Copper-artist-whose-sig-is-tough" category until a _lot_ of SS Punisher Ltds., Batman: 10 Nights of the Beast, and Cap books started showing up last year. In terms of great sig-worthy books he's done, he's one of my favorites!

I would have put Mike Zeck in the "great-Copper-artist-whose-sig-is-tough" category until a _lot_ of SS Punisher Ltds., Batman: 10 Nights of the Beast, and Cap books started showing up last year. In terms of great sig-worthy books he's done, he's one of my favorites!

Zeck is awesome. He was non-existent until Tiziano and Danny started putting together signings. :cloud9:

McFarlane's signature on Detective 575-578

:cloud9: (though he didn't do #575, so probably wouldn't sign it.)

Mac didn't do the covers to GI Joe, just the interior to #60, and the unpublished-until-1995 "#61" which became Special #1.

He DID do the covers to Marvel Tales #223-239, though, and that would be kinda cool...especially as they're probably tough books in 9.8.

I thought McFarlane did the cover to # 63, the subject of a "So Much Fun" variant. Don't have it anymore, but I used to have that issue and could have sworn it was how I discovered McFarlane worked on GI Joe at all. ??

McFarlane did the cover of GI Joe Special #1 as well as the interior. The story is a reprint of #61 but the artwork is different than the original. I guess the story is that McFarlene did the artwork for the issue but it was rejected by Marvel and they had someone else do the artwork. Once McFarlane made a name for himself it was suddenly good enough to reprint (to cash in of course).

And if I knew how to do it I'd post a pick of my Special #1 signed by McFarlane... but I'm a tecno-insufficiently_thoughtful_person apparently...

McFarlane's signature on Detective 575-578

:cloud9: (though he didn't do #575, so probably wouldn't sign it.)

Mac didn't do the covers to GI Joe, just the interior to #60, and the unpublished-until-1995 "#61" which became Special #1.

He DID do the covers to Marvel Tales #223-239, though, and that would be kinda cool...especially as they're probably tough books in 9.8.

And apparently not only am I a tecno-insufficiently_thoughtful_person I also can't READ.... lol because you already explained this... except the part that he did do the cover for the Special #1. :smile:

McFarlane did the cover of GI Joe Special #1 as well as the interior. The story is a reprint of #61 but the artwork is different than the original. I guess the story is that McFarlene did the artwork for the issue but it was rejected by Marvel and they had someone else do the artwork. Once McFarlane made a name for himself it was suddenly good enough to reprint (to cash in of course).

And if I knew how to do it I'd post a pick of my Special #1 signed by McFarlane... but I'm a tecno-insufficiently_thoughtful_person apparently...

FYI....McFarlane did NOT do the cover to Special #1 :o . Phil Gosier and Steve Koblish did. Its a McFarlane swipe is all (thumbs u .....