• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

Frat boy with the backwards ballcap staring at the azz of the guy dressed like a screen door? (shrug)

best description ever lol

what a terrible looking comic. 1150 of these pieces of poop is way too many for there to be any lasting value IMHO

Chuck Rozanski told me he sold his CGC 9.2 copy of Broadway Video Special Collector's Edition #1 for about $1200. That is AFTER a discount was applied. His web site had it listed at $3,000 for awhile.

My raw copy is probably in the same grade. No more than about a dozen copies have shown up for sale online.

001_Miracle_On_Broadway.jpg

DG

Never heard of this book...other than being rare, anything notable about this book?

A scoop article is here:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=43262

The details:

1100 copies printed. It was an internal Christmas give-away to Broadway Video Edit employees (a sister company to Broadway Comics that did video editing). The Broadway comics creators claim they were only able to get 1 copy. Artist Ernie Colon has told someone he never got a copy. Essentially, it was distributed to people who don't collect comics. It is believed that most of the people who received it probably threw it away. It has some pages to color inside. This increases the likelihood that parents would give it to their kids to color in it and destroy it. It rarely ever surfaces. I think a low grade copy would still go for about $300 because Broadway only published about 33 comics and completists want that comic to complete set.

It has the 1st appearance of the Knights on Broadway and the 1st and only appearance of Spire. It was a family oriented comic, so Fatale is not in it.

The Broadway Comics set of comics is often collected by Jim Shooter fans and those who collect Valiant Comics. Valiant Comic fans are an obsessive breed of collector.

These interior scans were courtesy of Pauline Weiss. I'm pretty sure she sold her copy.

001_Miracle_On_Broadway_pg01.jpg

001_Miracle_On_Broadway_pg06.jpg

001_Miracle_On_Broadway_pg14.jpg

001_Miracle_On_Broadway_pg15.jpg

001_Miracle_On_Broadway_pg09.jpg

DG

300 posts since 2009?

I suspect on hunch alone, dude is trying to trump up a bad purchase he made or has quite a stockpile of an otherwise worthless book.

There are 2 9.6s on the census and 1 9.2.

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Broadway+Video+Special+Collectors+Edition&publisher=Broadway+Comics&issue=1&year=1995&issuedate=12%2F95

A 9.6 was sold in 2008 and 2009 for $450 on each occasion.

According to CPG, the 9.2 sold for $188.

"Broadway Comics was started by Jim Shooter in 1995, right after his last company, Defiant, had folded. The company was a division of Broadway Video Entertainment with Jim Shooter as co-owner of the characters. In 1996 Broadway Video Entertainment was sold to Golden Books, which then promptly went bankrupt. The year 1996 being one of the worst years for the comic book industry, the company was closed before it had a chance to start, just like a number of other new comic book companies."

"BROADWAY COMICS: MIRACLE ON BROADWAY

Miracle on Broadway is a rare one-shot comic used as a Christmas card for Broadway's clients. Only 1150 of these child-oriented comics were produced. This comic contains the first appearance of the Knights on Broadway and an early appearance of Star Seed. It also contains the first and only appearance of Spire while more adult-oriented characters like Fatale were excluded.

While this book does contain a storyline, the story is not part of the universe structure and is considered an optional book for the purpose of this site. This book is sometimes referred to as the Broadway Video Special Collector's Edition."

Just stating a fact. Chuck had it listed on his site for $1500 prior to it selling. Since I own a copy that I bought from colorist JayJay Jackson, I had a specific interest in knowing how much he got for his. No, I don't have a stash of these. I'd buy a spare, but I don't pay top dollar for hardly anything. There are a lot of people who lie about this comic to try and deflate the value. People who had no connections or means to obtain a single copy claim they have a whole case of them. Copies can be obtained cheaper than $1200, if you can find one. Most people don't know that demand outweighs supply when they do post it for sale.

Yes, I joined in 2009, but I didn't post here because I only collect raw comics. I've been posting here more because many of the other messageboards appear to be withering away and don't have the same knowledge base as this board.

DG

I get the feeling I'd want to bleach my mind after reading that

Story-wise, it the worst of the entire Broadway Comics line. It is a promotional comic and nothing really ties into the rest of the Broadway Comics universe.

Starseed was poised to be my favorite comic series ever, but it was canceled before the first arc was ever truly completed. Quite a few story concepts and visual elements from Broadway Comics appear in the movie Hancock, but no connection has ever been established. The Hancock -script was floating around Hollywood since the late 90's and Broadway Comics were published in '95 & '96.

DG

Long ago when living and working in NY, on occasion we were clients at Broadway Video, it would have been before this came out, but had I been there and someone offered me their copy I can guarantee you I would have tossed it long before realizing it had any value, and I'm a comic collector, so I would imagine that at least 90% of the print run probably ended up getting tossed in the garbage.

There's probably a few copies sitting in unsorted boxes of 90s drek in various storage units, closets and comic shop back rooms in the NYC area.

I must be getting old but if it's not sorted and in some type of order, I have a tough time making myself go through drek boxes like I used to.

Up until a few years ago, I could dig for hidden nuggets in box after box, but not so much anymore. :(

I must be getting old but if it's not sorted and in some type of order, I have a tough time making myself go through drek boxes like I used to.

Up until a few years ago, I could dig for hidden nuggets in box after box, but not so much anymore. :(

Application of Dentu-Cream, Preparation H, and Gold Bond saps a lot of energy from the aged.

Yes, I joined in 2009, but I didn't post here because I only collect raw comics. I've been posting here more because many of the other messageboards appear to be withering away and don't have the same knowledge base as this board.

DG

Apologies. :) I got a little overzealous there. There's just a lot of posts in the copper forums of people trying to build false excitement over a book they speculated on. Myself included. :sorry:

Plenty of examples here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4204428#Post4204428

Application of Dentu-Cream, Preparation H, and Gold Bond saps a lot of energy from the aged.

The world would be a terrible place without PrepH. :(

DG

Apologies. :) I got a little overzealous there. There's just a lot of posts in the copper forums of people trying to build false excitement over a book they speculated on. Myself included. :sorry:

Plenty of examples here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4204428#Post4204428

Hot tip... Power Pack is gonna be smokin'!! :gossip:

DG

Plenty of examples here:

No apology necessary. I have thicker skin than that. Rarity & value don't always go hand in hand. I have some rarer items (Cartoon Spice #5 in my sig) but there has to be a fan base who have deep pockets as well as desire to own it. The thread you directed me to has a lot of hoarders posting. "Hoarding" + "True Rarity" can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy of high prices. It's an artificial demand vs. a true demand.

DG

DG

Plenty of examples here:

Yeah, but only copies in VG or better shape. The other 98% of the print run is destroyed from sitting in quarter boxes for 15 years.

DG

I have to be bored to go through it. You can go through dollar boxes for hours and find a comic worth $10 if you are lucky. I'd rather spend minutes to go through a box of premium books priced 5 years ago and get a $50 comic for $25. I get a cooler comic and more potential profit if I was to flip it immediately.

DG

DG

Plenty of examples here:

Yeah, but only copies in VG or better shape. The other 98% of the print run is destroyed from sitting in quarter boxes for 15 years.

DG

Time to start hoarding! 4d9b7b5a.jpg

All the butthurt around here could sure use some

All the butthurt around here could sure use some

Sigh! Someone at work said "You can never use too much lube." I replied "sure you can if you've ever had to get a putty knife to remove it from the sheets."

The rule of thumb is NEVER visualize anything I say. He did, so everyone was laughing more at his reaction.

DG

DG

Plenty of examples here:

DG

Time to start hoarding! 4d9b7b5a.jpg

Whoring or hoarding? I don't want that piece of junk. :)

DG