• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

Transformers 1 cgc 9.8 continues to drop, a book that will sell for about $350 six months ago can be had for a little over $100 right now.

I guess the movie hype is very short lived, Transformers movies have grossed over a billion dollars and they had no affect on the value.I will use this as a reminder for future hype purchases.If Transformers a box office smash can`t do it, then the odds are even lower for other movies based on comics.

don't get me wrong, I completely agree......... but TF will always be more about the toys than comics. I think prices on AFA g1 tf's would make for a more interesting comparison......... anybody know how those have done?

A few other books that are way down as CGC 9.8`s

New Teen Titans 2

Watchmen 1

Saga of Swampthing 37

Sandman 1

Uncanny X-men 266

According to GPA and recent auctions these books can be had almost for three times less then a year ago. interesting? Example most were close to $300 dollar books now can be had for a little over $100 dollars.

hm

Sandman 1 especially was a shocker over the months. Someone did some research recently and even found a $700 sale of a Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 a few years ago.

Now, you can pick up a Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 for around $145-$165 without much effort. But I still feel it is a fantastic Copper Age to pick up.

Sandman 1 especially was a shocker over the months. Someone did some research recently and even found a $700 sale of a Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 a few years ago.

Now, you can pick up a Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 for around $145-$165 without much effort. But I still feel it is a fantastic Copper Age to pick up.

I dunno if I should pick these up now dirt cheap or will they even become cheaper in the next year? Sandman 1 has great potential as a breakout book. You know they will make a movie someday but do we fall for the hype?

New Teen Titans 2

Watchmen 1

Saga of Swampthing 37

Sandman 1

Uncanny X-men 266

According to GPA and recent auctions these books can be had almost for three times less then a year ago. interesting? Example most were close to $300 dollar books now can be had for a little over $100 dollars.

hm

To me, the prices that are being realized now, are much more realistic and indicative of their true values. They are not scarce, at all. All great books and all worthy of having a premium paid in top grade, but not 20x-40x nm Guide value.

New Teen Titans 2

Watchmen 1

Saga of Swampthing 37

Sandman 1

Uncanny X-men 266

hm

To me, the prices that are being realized now, are much more realistic and indicative of their true values. They are not scarce, at all. All great books and all worthy of having a premium paid in top grade, but not 20x-40x nm Guide value.

Interestingly enough....there are sellers trying to get $60+ for Amazing Spiderman #298...in the typical "9.0/9.2" condition...and one can get a CGC 9.8 for as little as $130.

Like ships in the night, CGC 9.8s have passed "high grade raw" in asking prices.

3-4 years ago, it was the opposite. Those were the days....

I dunno if I should pick these up now dirt cheap or will they even become cheaper in the next year? Sandman 1 has great potential as a breakout book. You know they will make a movie someday but do we fall for the hype?

Of course we fall for the hype lol

New Teen Titans 2

Watchmen 1

Saga of Swampthing 37

Sandman 1

Uncanny X-men 266

hm

Exactly - the nosebleed prices on these books were a result of buyers not realizing that many 9.8 (and better) copies are still raw, and that as time passes the census is likely to grow exponetially as long as there is interest.

I COMPLETELY AGREE AS BEING ONE WHO MAY HAVE PAID $300USD in 2002 for a copy of ASM216-CGC-9.8 being one of 2 on the census and the only one of the 2 that had WHITE PAGES.....

Oh folks this boy knows this all too well

How about a book that now has multiple copies in 9.8 and even a copy at a

CGC 10.0 GEM that sold for around $4600USD if I'm not correct.

What a crazy hobby. Now there's no need to start sweating FANBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a pro and get your 9.8's Signed by at least 4 artists like me and you'll be fine :pullhair:

Uncanny-X-Men-266-CGC-98-SS.jpg

YOUR COPPER AINT WORTH SHEEEET WITHOUT 4 SIGNATURES BOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Just Kidding continue collecting but be wary of people using 2001 prices in 2010. That's my only warning friends!!!!!

FROM ABSOLUTECARNAGE TO EVERYONE ELSE "EDUCATE

YOURSELVES AND CHECK THE CENSUS BEFORE MAKING ANY

SERIOUS DECISIONS REGARDING HIGH PRICED COMIC BOOKS!"

:-)

ALL THE BEST AS USUAL,

Richard

I COMPLETELY AGREE AS BEING ONE WHO MAY HAVE PAID $300USD in 2002 for a copy of ASM216-CGC-9.8 being one of 2 on the census and the only one of the 2 that had WHITE PAGES.....

Oh folks this boy knows this all too well

How about a book that now has multiple copies in 9.8 and even a copy at a

CGC 10.0 GEM that sold for around $4600USD if I'm not correct.

What a crazy hobby. Now there's no need to start sweating FANBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a pro and get your 9.8's Signed by at least 4 artists like me and you'll be fine :pullhair:

Uncanny-X-Men-266-CGC-98-SS.jpg

YOUR COPPER AINT WORTH SHEEEET WITHOUT 4 SIGNATURES BOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Just Kidding continue collecting but be wary of people using 2001 prices in 2010. That's my only warning friends!!!!!

FROM ABSOLUTECARNAGE TO EVERYONE ELSE "EDUCATE

YOURSELVES AND CHECK THE CENSUS BEFORE MAKING ANY

SERIOUS DECISIONS REGARDING HIGH PRICED COMIC BOOKS!"

:-)

ALL THE BEST AS USUAL,

Richard

Awesome book :applause:

Thanks fellows. I have another book with a crappy scan as I don't have the book. I have paid it off in full but am waiting for it to get shipped to me and then I'll put up a worthy scan of it. It's an ASM#300-CGC-9.8-SS McFarlane - with a small spider-sketch.... .a what the hell I'll put up the crappy scan

I'll update it though when I get the book in hand ;-)

!BlzwliQBWk~$(KGrHqQOKi4Etk1C2zfCBLdHZnK+LQ~~_3.JPG

all the best,

Richard