• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

McFarlane did the cover of GI Joe Special #1 as well as the interior. The story is a reprint of #61 but the artwork is different than the original. I guess the story is that McFarlene did the artwork for the issue but it was rejected by Marvel and they had someone else do the artwork. Once McFarlane made a name for himself it was suddenly good enough to reprint (to cash in of course).

And if I knew how to do it I'd post a pick of my Special #1 signed by McFarlane... but I'm a tecno-insufficiently_thoughtful_person apparently...

FYI....McFarlane did NOT do the cover to Special #1 :o . Phil Gosier and Steve Koblish did. Its a McFarlane swipe is all (thumbs u .....

GOD I KNEW THAT!!! I must be losing my long-term memory! That's it I'm banning myself for stupidity - 1 week in the box.......

McFarlane did the cover of GI Joe Special #1 as well as the interior.

McFarlane did NOT draw the cover for Special #1. That was drawn by Paul Gosier.

The story is a reprint of #61 but the artwork is different than the original.

That is correct, as stated above. They didn't use his artwork for issue #61, and used it in the Special #1 instead many years later.

GIJoe1SpecialCGC98.jpg

McFarlane's signature on Detective 575-578

:cloud9: (though he didn't do #575, so probably wouldn't sign it.)

Mac didn't do the covers to GI Joe, just the interior to #60, and the unpublished-until-1995 "#61" which became Special #1.

He DID do the covers to Marvel Tales #223-239, though, and that would be kinda cool...especially as they're probably tough books in 9.8.

And apparently not only am I a tecno-insufficiently_thoughtful_person I also can't READ.... lol because you already explained this... except the part that he did do the cover for the Special #1. :smile:

(thumbs u

Looking at some variants and oddities from the 80's, I think there are some $1,000 candidates here:

• Miracleman 3-D in 2-D - any condition but certainly over VF
  • Superman #409: Superhombre logo variant, maybe 9.6 (top of census)
  • Superman Bradman Private Commission, maybe 9.4 and above
  • Turtlemania Special #1 Gold variant - any condition but certainly over VF

I WOULD NEVER PAY 1K FOR AN 80'S BOOK. DO NOT CARE WHAT GRADE OR WHAT BOOK IT IS.

Then why are you here?

Hey , I am only saying it because I grew up in that decade. I bought practically every comic that came out those ten years. So its a little hard to look at those books as money makers comparing to Silver and Golden age.

Actually, I agree with you.

No way in hell I'd buy a TMNT#1 for $1,000 when I passed at getting it for cover price when it came out. I remember the comic shop having a stack of about 100 copies. For me it has to be older also.

DG

Chuck Rozanski told me he sold his CGC 9.2 copy of Broadway Video Special Collector's Edition #1 for about $1200. That is AFTER a discount was applied. His web site had it listed at $3,000 for awhile.

My raw copy is probably in the same grade. No more than about a dozen copies have shown up for sale online.

001_Miracle_On_Broadway.jpg

DG

Chuck Rozanski told me he sold his CGC 9.2 copy of Broadway Video Special Collector's Edition #1 for about $1200. That is AFTER a discount was applied. His web site had it listed at $3,000 for awhile.

My raw copy is probably in the same grade. No more than about a dozen copies have shown up for sale online.

DG

Never heard of this book...other than being rare, anything notable about this book?

DG

Never heard of this book...other than being rare, anything notable about this book?

Frat boy with the backwards ballcap staring at the azz of the guy dressed like a screen door? (shrug)

DG

Frat boy with the backwards ballcap staring at the azz of the guy dressed like a screen door? (shrug)

What's the big deal with this book? looks like bird cage fodder to me. (shrug)

300 posts since 2009?

I suspect on hunch alone, dude is trying to trump up a bad purchase he made or has quite a stockpile of an otherwise worthless book.

There are 2 9.6s on the census and 1 9.2.

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Broadway+Video+Special+Collectors+Edition&publisher=Broadway+Comics&issue=1&year=1995&issuedate=12%2F95

A 9.6 was sold in 2008 and 2009 for $450 on each occasion.

According to CPG, the 9.2 sold for $188.

"Broadway Comics was started by Jim Shooter in 1995, right after his last company, Defiant, had folded. The company was a division of Broadway Video Entertainment with Jim Shooter as co-owner of the characters. In 1996 Broadway Video Entertainment was sold to Golden Books, which then promptly went bankrupt. The year 1996 being one of the worst years for the comic book industry, the company was closed before it had a chance to start, just like a number of other new comic book companies."

"BROADWAY COMICS: MIRACLE ON BROADWAY

Miracle on Broadway is a rare one-shot comic used as a Christmas card for Broadway's clients. Only 1150 of these child-oriented comics were produced. This comic contains the first appearance of the Knights on Broadway and an early appearance of Star Seed. It also contains the first and only appearance of Spire while more adult-oriented characters like Fatale were excluded.

While this book does contain a storyline, the story is not part of the universe structure and is considered an optional book for the purpose of this site. This book is sometimes referred to as the Broadway Video Special Collector's Edition."