• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

Why do people act like total jerks when someone goes against prevailing opinion. Too many conformist collectors out there.

Not to MR. Comicbook. Remember this valuable lesson when it comes to collecting. Rationality has no place in collecting. It mostly has to do with skewed perceptions and what the influencing people have to say about it. There are many books that I could rationally say should go for 10 times what they do. But because of an entrenched mindset they never go anywhere. Yes you do make a rational case. But again rationality has no place in collectibles.

On a side note, as I am selling off my 80s collection, I almost want to start up a thread entitled:

"80s comics worth $1?"

lol world's longest thread!

I don't think most of them are worth $1, so it would be a pretty short thread! :insane:

On a side note, as I am selling off my 80s collection, I almost want to start up a thread entitled:

"80s comics worth $1?"

lol world's longest thread!

I don't think most of them are worth $1, so it would be a pretty short thread! :insane:

hehehe

Why do people act like total jerks when someone goes against prevailing opinion. Too many conformist collectors out there.

Not to MR. Comicbook. Remember this valuable lesson when it comes to collecting. Rationality has no place in collecting. It mostly has to do with skewed perceptions and what the influencing people have to say about it. There are many books that I could rationally say should go for 10 times what they do. But because of an entrenched mindset they never go anywhere. Yes you do make a rational case. But again rationality has no place in collectibles.

Its not rational in the slightest - in fact its deluded and ignores the obvious. GI Joe is, was, started as, a toy property. The must have GI Joe items will always be toys not comics.

Xmen the reverse is true. The big x-men collectibles will always be comics.

If he was saying that the most expensive Joe toy will be worth more than the most expensive (1970's team) X-men comic, I could buy that, and hell we might be there already, and that would be rational.

But to make the GI Joe 1 to GSX1 comparison is just freakin fruit loops crazy.

1963:

G.I. Joe started out in life on a Ping-Pong table in the home of Don Levine, VP of Research and Development of Hassenfeld Brothers, Inc. (Later re-named Hasbro Toys)

Specs:

Joe is almost 12" tall, wears a hand-stitched Sergeant's uniform and has a very battle weary expression. G.I. Joes were the first moveable action figures. It's been said that G.I. Joe changed the history of toys starting in the 1960s.

Price:

Initially offered at a minimum of $250,000. Joe received no bids. Shortly after the action closed, he was purchased for $200,000 by Steve Geppi and is considered the world's most valuable action figure. The purchase was made in Summer 2003.

Where is Joe?:

G.I. Joe now resides at the Geppi Entertainment Museum in Baltimore, along aside other toys that helped shape the history of our country.

Original G.I. Joe toys may be worth more than original X-men or Spider-Man comics??

right, that was my whole point.

although the prototype is more akin to the original art for x-men 1 so I'd say the answer is no. the #1 cover would get stupid money.

GI joe comics are as unimportant to GIJoe as wolverine action figures are to X-men

Its not rational in the slightest - in fact its deluded and ignores the obvious. GI Joe is, was, started as, a toy property. The must have GI Joe items will always be toys not comics.

Xmen the reverse is true. The big x-men collectibles will always be comics.

If he was saying that the most expensive Joe toy will be worth more than the most expensive (1970's team) X-men comic, I could buy that, and hell we might be there already, and that would be rational.

Exactly, let's keep it simple - the first appearance of ALL of the GI Joes NEVER occured in a comic book. I think most everyone agrees that if anything goes up in value in the GI Joe franchise it will be the original toys or maybe even the 3 3/4 guys from the 80s. The comic books will never reach any type of grail status because of their real "first appearance" - toys.

lol

from the 80s stuff I think (?) that an unopened USS Flagg is the key piece. One sold recently; wish I could remember the price but I think it was somewhere in the 10-15k range. But I am anything but an expert on gi joe so not too sure, but it was definitely definitely over 5k and at least approaching 10k.

anybody remember? it was in the premier collectibles auction in july

G.I. Joe #1 came out in 1982, Wolverine Limited #1 came out in 1982, Joe #1 9.8 in 2006 was selling for $190.00 per book, in 2008 for $350.00 per book in 9.8, Wolverine limited #1 9.8 in 2006 $220.00, this year $250.00 per book in 9.8. The Joe #1 has about 20 copies per year hit the market, the Wolverine Limited has about 100 copies per year hit the market. I don't like comparing stuff from different eras 60's, vs 80's, 1975 vs 1982. This is a comparable book and its values, vs how many copies hit the market.

G.I. Joe #1 came out in 1982, Wolverine Limited #1 came out in 1982, Joe #1 9.8 in 2006 was selling for $190.00 per book, in 2008 for $350.00 per book in 9.8, Wolverine limited #1 9.8 in 2006 $220.00, this year $250.00 per book in 9.8. The Joe #1 has about 20 copies per year hit the market, the Wolverine Limited has about 100 copies per year hit the market. I don't like comparing stuff from different eras 60's, vs 80's, 1975 vs 1982. This is a comparable book and its values, vs how many copies hit the market.

Wolverine Limited 1 is not the first appearance of Wolverine. If it were - maybe you would have a better argument.

This thread reads to me like this:

"i like gi joe, he is worth more"

"no way!, I like superheroes, XMEN is worth more!"

Followed by reasons backing both as to which is worth more...

Me? I'm going to say x-men, to me gi joe is as nothing. He is a plastic toy i used to burn with a lighter. X-men however i watched on t.v., read in comics and still remember the theme song to.... Yes i know that joe has a show and theme song too, but he's just gi joe, where's his super power? Anything he can do gambit can do better, QED! :baiting:

Wolverine Limited 1 is not the first appearance of Wolverine. If it were - maybe you would have a better argument.

GI Joe 1 isn't really a first appearance either.

GI Joe 1 isn't really a first appearance either.

Joe #1 is based on the Toys, first solo comic, Wolverine Limited 1 is his first solo comic. So there is some similar comparison, especially when they both came out in 1982.

They are comparable in that they were published in the same time period and they are worth about the same in comparable grades. But you can say that about a lot of books, it doesn't mean there is any viable REASON to compare them. I know that GI Joe 1 isn't the first appearance of anything. I guess the simple way of putting this is: What is your point? The fact that wolverine ltd 1 is worth a little less than GI Joe 1 in 9.8 means jack &^$#. That's like saying the TMNT is way more popular than the x-men because tmnt 1 in 9.8 is worth WAY more than wolverine ltd 1 in 9.8.

I know of an unopened Flagg that sold privately for over 10K. I also know of an AFA graded Snake Eyes that sold for close to 20K.