• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

Why do people act like total jerks when someone goes against prevailing opinion. Too many conformist collectors out there.

Not to MR. Comicbook. Remember this valuable lesson when it comes to collecting. Rationality has no place in collecting. It mostly has to do with skewed perceptions and what the influencing people have to say about it. There are many books that I could rationally say should go for 10 times what they do. But because of an entrenched mindset they never go anywhere. Yes you do make a rational case. But again rationality has no place in collectibles.

Its not rational in the slightest - in fact its deluded and ignores the obvious. GI Joe is, was, started as, a toy property. The must have GI Joe items will always be toys not comics.

Xmen the reverse is true. The big x-men collectibles will always be comics.

If he was saying that the most expensive Joe toy will be worth more than the most expensive (1970's team) X-men comic, I could buy that, and hell we might be there already, and that would be rational.

But to make the GI Joe 1 to GSX1 comparison is just freakin fruit loops crazy.

Exactly, let's keep it simple - the first appearance of ALL of the GI Joes NEVER occured in a comic book. I think most everyone agrees that if anything goes up in value in the GI Joe franchise it will be the original toys or maybe even the 3 3/4 guys from the 80s. The comic books will never reach any type of grail status because of their real "first appearance" - toys.

In 9.8, Joe #21 will reach 1K, no question about it. I collected GI Joe figures for a time, and Joe #21 has always been highly regarded by the toy collectors, not to mention that it's one of the few examples of a really tough Modern book. Finding a raw 9.6+ is no easy task.

Why do people act like total jerks when someone goes against prevailing opinion. Too many conformist collectors out there.

Not to MR. Comicbook. Remember this valuable lesson when it comes to collecting. Rationality has no place in collecting. It mostly has to do with skewed perceptions and what the influencing people have to say about it. There are many books that I could rationally say should go for 10 times what they do. But because of an entrenched mindset they never go anywhere. Yes you do make a rational case. But again rationality has no place in collectibles.

Its not rational in the slightest - in fact its deluded and ignores the obvious. GI Joe is, was, started as, a toy property. The must have GI Joe items will always be toys not comics.

Xmen the reverse is true. The big x-men collectibles will always be comics.

If he was saying that the most expensive Joe toy will be worth more than the most expensive (1970's team) X-men comic, I could buy that, and hell we might be there already, and that would be rational.

But to make the GI Joe 1 to GSX1 comparison is just freakin fruit loops crazy.

Exactly, let's keep it simple - the first appearance of ALL of the GI Joes NEVER occured in a comic book. I think most everyone agrees that if anything goes up in value in the GI Joe franchise it will be the original toys or maybe even the 3 3/4 guys from the 80s. The comic books will never reach any type of grail status because of their real "first appearance" - toys.

In 9.8, Joe #21 will reach 1K, no question about it. I collected GI Joe figures for a time, and Joe #21 has always been highly regarded by the toy collectors, not to mention that it's one of the few examples of a really tough Modern book. Finding a raw 9.6+ is no easy task.

Look - I think most agree that 21 is the most valuable of the GI Joe comics. I was responding to the comments about GI Joe 1. But anyways, certain comic books will get absurd amounts of money for a variety of different reasons. It could be a simple fad or even a modern book that was known to have defects from the start thus making it rare in high grades. Not too long ago Superman/Batman 2 was getting ridic amounts of money in 9.8 because they were simply hard to find in that grade.(maybe it still is - dont know/care) Not because Superman/Batman 2 is a key issue or important to comics. How about those friggin strawberry shortcake books that are getting big bucks in high grades? Do you think strawberry shortcake is up there with the x-men? GI Joe seems to be at a high point and may continue to be for some time - but issues like 21 and 1 will never be as important to comics as any of the x-men/wolverine books it has been compared to in this post because they originated in toys. The toys will always be the "grails" of GI Joe.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and say a few things and ask a question.

Firstly, i don't believe that gi joe comics will have "grails" as people see them - first appearance of superman, first ever neal adams story, first time a cat made a cover, etc - because they don't have that same 'following' in the comics. Just my :2c: .

Secondly, i believe that this big debate that seems to have cropped up in this thread of Scarcity Vs Demand is moot. One influences the other and they're so intertwined as to be damned near irrelevant. Does it matter if a comic is worth $$ because of a HUGE demand or a SMALL supply? not really , at least not to me. It still costs the same amount of the moolah.

Lastly, who determines what a 'grail' is? Is every first appearance of a character a grail. Or is it a comic that's really highly desired. What if it's really rare and that makes it highly desired, is THAT a grail?

Hey to all the people who said GI JOE 1 at 9.8 wouldn`t be worth a $1000 within the year. Here is a CGC 9.6 at Mile High Comics at $900. Looks like I am not the only one who can spot a hot book!

to all the non-believers GI JOE 1 CGC 9.6 at $900 hundred dollars

as someone else famous from Boston Massachusetts once said "How do you like them apples!" or in your case "How do you like them comics!"

Using Mile High as an example doesn't really help your case. It's pretty well known that they generally list CGC books at WELL over the going rate.

Example:

The $540 "sale" price for a PPTSS #5 CGC 9.8 at Mile High

Mile High PPTSS CGC 9.8

The $48 PPTSS #5 CGC 9.8 sold recently at auction on eBay

eBay PPTSS CGC 9.8

Granted the MH copy has the MH2 "pedigree", although I don't know too many collectors who would pay more than double the going rate for a MH2 copy. That still leaves the MH copy of this book overpriced by 5X.

Hey to all the people who said GI JOE 1 at 9.8 wouldn`t be worth a $1000 within the year. Here is a CGC 9.6 at Mile High Comics at $900. Looks like I am not the only one who can spot a hot book!

as someone else famous from Boston Massachusetts once said "How do you like them apples!" or in your case "How do you like them comics!"

Honestly, its OK to admit you're wrong. :foryou: I know its hard to, but seriously... its OK.

GPA

( 9.6 ) (26) $56 (27) $70 (27) $112 (10) $131 $141 Dec-2008

Using Mile High as an example doesn't really help your case. It's pretty well known that they generally list CGC books at WELL over the going rate.

Example:

The $540 "sale" price for a PPTSS #5 CGC 9.8 at Mile High

Mile High PPTSS CGC 9.8

The $48 PPTSS #5 CGC 9.8 sold recently at auction on eBay

eBay PPTSS CGC 9.8

Granted the MH copy has the MH2 "pedigree", although I don't know too many collectors who would pay more than double the going rate for a MH2 copy. That still leaves the MH copy of this book overpriced by 5X.

That's amazing. I knew his stuff was 3-4x overpriced but 11x? WOW. How does he even ask that price with a straight face?

I don't suppose you happen to have a brother named KrazyKat that's interested in comic art or something do you?

Quoting MileHigh prices as actual values :cloud9:

I've sold THREE cps. of GI JOE #1 CGC 9.6 this year, for $165, $175, $200

Just because crazy Chuck is ASKING $900 doesn't mean he's going to GET $900

Not when a 9.8 will fetch a FRACTION of that price.

Seriously.

The west nile disease has gone to his head.

Seriously.

I'd like to believe that I could get that kind of money all day long for ANY of my 9.6's... but that GI Joe in that grade will never command that kind of coin.

EVER.

When you have to use Chuck's pricing "strategies" to back up a FMV argument, you know you've lost the argument...and your mind. :insane:

I'm going to list my GI Joe 1 on ebay buy it now right now for 1200 dollars!!!! Watch the GPA soar!!! FYI - just because some insufficiently_thoughtful_person asks too much for a book doesnt mean its now worth that much. Only when someone actually pays money for it does it matter. Maybe you should be the genius to make that happen?

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and say a few things and ask a question.

Firstly, i don't believe that gi joe comics will have "grails" as people see them - first appearance of superman, first ever neal adams story, first time a cat made a cover, etc - because they don't have that same 'following' in the comics. Just my :2c: .

Secondly, i believe that this big debate that seems to have cropped up in this thread of Scarcity Vs Demand is moot. One influences the other and they're so intertwined as to be damned near irrelevant. Does it matter if a comic is worth $$ because of a HUGE demand or a SMALL supply? not really , at least not to me. It still costs the same amount of the moolah.

Lastly, who determines what a 'grail' is? Is every first appearance of a character a grail. Or is it a comic that's really highly desired. What if it's really rare and that makes it highly desired, is THAT a grail?

I beg to differ on your scarcity vs. demand arguments. Scarcity does not always influence demand. In fact, it's hardly a major factor when talking about modern books. Demand can be influenced by many, many things - scarcity just being one. Movies, TV shows, message boards, etc can drive up demand. When that happens it's generally a fad and even though isome of us will pay ridiculous amounts of money for something when it's hot and the demand is high - the value will drop(hard) eventually. This could be what's happening with GI Joe right now. IDW just picked up the franchise and there has been a lot of hipe about it lately. Who knows when Joe will peak - but I don't think I'll be spending my money on any Joe comics for long term investment purposes. I'll put my money into the market that historically and dependably pays back, SA and GA HGs.

That's amazing. I knew his stuff was 3-4x overpriced but 11x? WOW. How does he even ask that price with a straight face?

But when he has his 1/2 off sales, the book is only selling for 5 1/2 times guide - much better!! :banana:

I'm going to list my GI Joe 1 on ebay buy it now right now for 1200 dollars!!!! Watch the GPA soar!!! FYI - just because some insufficiently_thoughtful_person asks too much for a book doesnt mean its now worth that much. Only when someone actually pays money for it does it matter. Maybe you should be the genius to make that happen?

I'll assume you're talking to MRCOMICBOOK and not me.

Little Joe's can go for big bucks. The scarcest carded figure in this series (Vortex) sold for $10k. Even the lesser guys bring good money.

Warwolf-1.jpg

Original art and prototypes

SawViper-Art-1.jpg