• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s comics worth 1k?

366 posts in this topic

Hey to all the people who said GI JOE 1 at 9.8 wouldn`t be worth a $1000 within the year. Here is a CGC 9.6 at Mile High Comics at $900. Looks like I am not the only one who can spot a hot book!

to all the non-believers GI JOE 1 CGC 9.6 at $900 hundred dollars

as someone else famous from Boston Massachusetts once said "How do you like them apples!" or in your case "How do you like them comics!"

OK, you just lost all credibility with me. When you throw out Mile High Prices you actually destroy any argument that you have.

especially given that you can buy it during his codeword sale for 60% off.

WOW,that is a cooool little joe,but...destro will always rule

This guy?

Destro-Art-1.jpg

Destro! :sumo:

I would rather collect the MOC toys than high grade comics BUT there is a major problem with the longevity of GI Joe's due to the O-Rings.

statue.jpg

Hi Mephisto (or anyone else that might know)

What do those GI Joe illustrations on the cards go for; the original artwork I mean. Have there ever been any found or sold? Those are nicely painted.

Why do people act like total jerks when someone goes against prevailing opinion. Too many conformist collectors out there.

Not to MR. Comicbook. Remember this valuable lesson when it comes to collecting. Rationality has no place in collecting. It mostly has to do with skewed perceptions and what the influencing people have to say about it. There are many books that I could rationally say should go for 10 times what they do. But because of an entrenched mindset they never go anywhere. Yes you do make a rational case. But again rationality has no place in collectibles.

Because some things are beyond plausibility, including Mr. Comicbook's assertion that GI Joe #1 OR #21 are going to be perceived as more important than what is arguably the most important, most influential comic printed in the Bronze Age.

This isn't a reasonable opinion to have.

There are people who believe...really and truly...that the earth is a flat disc around which the sun, moon, and stars rotate. Are their opinions "against the prevailing opinion"...you bet. Is it a RATIONAL opinion?

Of course not, it flies square in the face of centuries of Astronomy and decades of Astrophysics.

It is not rational, with the evidence that we have at this date, to claim that GI Joe #1 or #21 will be a more important book in the next 5 to 10 years.

Is it possible?

Of course.

Is it plausible?

Not even slightly.

You ask why. That's why.

Hey to all the people who said GI JOE 1 at 9.8 wouldn`t be worth a $1000 within the year. Here is a CGC 9.6 at Mile High Comics at $900. Looks like I am not the only one who can spot a hot book!

to all the non-believers GI JOE 1 CGC 9.6 at $900 hundred dollars

as someone else famous from Boston Massachusetts once said "How do you like them apples!" or in your case "How do you like them comics!"

Wow.

That's just....

Wow.

does everyone agree GI Joe 9.8 being a 2k book?

There is nothing to dispute here. The rarest sealed G.I. Joe toys will always be more valuable then the highest certified comics (the only real exception to this would be a 9.8 # 21, but I only see that being a $2,000-type book).

I find this topic very intersting and wanted to chime in with a question.

First G.I.Joe comics have always been GREAT reads IMO !!! :applause:

But I have also noticed that no one has brought up batman #423 in high grade & the census showing that there is ONLY 1 book in 9.8, Is this not a sought after book that could bring 1k ?? There are alot of these books being sold but to find 1 in 9.8 grade would be like finding a huge gold nugget. If i'm wrong please let me know (nicely) but wouldn't this book be the start of this superstar artist & launching him into many other titles in which he's known for (batman-spiderman)

But I have also noticed that no one has brought up batman #423 in high grade & the census showing that there is ONLY 1 book in 9.8, Is this not a sought after book that could bring 1k ?? There are alot of these books being sold but to find 1 in 9.8 grade would be like finding a huge gold nugget. If i'm wrong please let me know (nicely) but wouldn't this book be the start of this superstar artist & launching him into many other titles in which he's known for (batman-spiderman)

The only way Batman #423 can hold up as a $1,000 book is if, after an exhaustive search, none turn up in that condition.

The perfect example of this is Amazing Spiderman #317. In March of this year, there were 2 on the census in 9.8. Yup, just 2.

Now there are 41.

Batman #423 came out right near the very beginnings of what would become 1989's Batmania (in other words, early summer 1988), and so it was heavily hoarded, along with books around it, and so very likely have many 9.8 copies around.

There are a lot of books like this from the 80's that just haven't been slabbed yet. In March of this year, there were only 7 copies of Batman #427 slabbed in 9.8, and only 6 of #428 in 9.8....now those numbers are 11 and 10 (excluding Sig Series.) Those aren't huge leaps, but in percentanges, that's pretty big.

Same with a book like Harbinger #1 that had 12 copies in March, and now has 19 (both the Sig Series were already slabbed 9.8s)

I know this isn't something that some folks will appreciate, but if people are patient, a lot of the "non-key" books that appear to be very rare are just not worth slabbing at the moment...and when that changes, you can guarantee a flood of them will "appear." (CGC says this themselves, many times.)

The only way Batman #423 can hold up as a $1,000 book is if, after an exhaustive search, none turn up in that condition.

The perfect example of this is Amazing Spiderman #317. In March of this year, there were 2 on the census in 9.8. Yup, just 2.

Now there are 41.

Batman #423 came out right near the very beginnings of what would become 1989's Batmania (in other words, early summer 1988), and so it was heavily hoarded, along with books around it, and so very likely have many 9.8 copies around.

There are a lot of books like this from the 80's that just haven't been slabbed yet. In March of this year, there were only 7 copies of Batman #427 slabbed in 9.8, and only 6 of #428 in 9.8....now those numbers are 11 and 10 (excluding Sig Series.) Those aren't huge leaps, but in percentanges, that's pretty big.

Same with a book like Harbinger #1 that had 12 copies in March, and now has 19 (both the Sig Series were already slabbed 9.8s)

I know this isn't something that some folks will appreciate, but if people are patient, a lot of the "non-key" books that appear to be very rare are just not worth slabbing at the moment...and when that changes, you can guarantee a flood of them will "appear." (CGC says this themselves, many times.)

Great points Rock but from the start of CGC there is ONLY 1 book for batman #423 and many-many times McFarlane has been to signings and NONE of them have been in a 9.8 or shown to be other than a 2nd printing.

As mentioned here that rare & scarce books are often times sought after but only if the right person is looking for that book... RIGHT ??

I have seen many board members here sell lone 9.8's for 4 figure digits and many of these books have been out for some time BUT not one book other than the one for sale has reached that kinda money. So why would GOON #1 reach a 4 figure dollar amount & G.I.Joe #1 not?? there are quit a few of them in grade already.

For discussions sake, where do we draw the line in terms of high grade?

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of "$1,000+" 1980's books if they were to come back 9.9 or 10.

What are the books that approach $1K on a raw basis?

Turtles #1

Albedo #0 Yellow cover, #2

Gobbledeygook #1-2

Uncle Scrooge #179

And even the Albedo #2 and US #179 are $500-$700 books in raw high grade.

Certainly no Marvel or DC book even comes close.

But when we start talking about 9.8 and up...the floodgates open:

Batman #426-428, any 9.9 or 10 copies are automatically $1K+

Albedo #2 in any condition above 9.2

Turtles #1, Turtles #3 Variant, Turtles #2 in 9.9 or better

Albedo #0 Yellow AND White, and possibly Blue 1st

Primer #2 (the $1125 sale was mine in June-ish.), #5

Grendel #1-possibly 3

Amazing Spiderman #238, 252, 298, 299, 300, 301, 312, 316 in 9.9 or better(exception being #300)

ANY Byrne Uncanny X-Men in 9.9 or better (with the possible exception of #143)

GI Joe #1,2, 21 (and possibly #3-10) in 9.9 or better

Batman #366, 368, 400 9.9 or better

X-Men #171, 201, 205, 210-213, 248 in 9.9 or better

Web of Spiderman #1 in 10 (it's absolutely silly that there are 322 in 9.8 and ZERO above....but that's a discussion for another day)

New Teen Titans #1 in 10 (easily)

DC Comics Presents #26 in 10

Caliber Presents #1 in 9.9 or better

Crow #1-4 in 9.9 or better

Cry for Dawn #1 in 9.9 or better

Sandman #1 in 9.9 or better

Sandman #8 in 9.9, or Berger 9.8 or better

Animal Man #1 in 10

Hellblazer #1 in 10

Swamp Thing #20, 21, 37 in 10

Dark Knight Returns #1-4 in 10

...and the list goes on and on....

We're talking hypotheticals, obviously, since the vast majority of these books don't exist (that we know of.)

But if they WERE to show up, and no OTHER copies were to show up, $1k's the basement price for most of them.

A New Mutants #1, which is easily a $1 book in eBay "NM", sold for $800 two weeks ago in 10. How much moreso real, genuine keys in that grade?

Great points Rock but from the start of CGC there is ONLY 1 book for batman #423 and many-many times McFarlane has been to signings and NONE of them have been in a 9.8 or shown to be other than a 2nd printing.

The only way you're going to convince me that a Bats #423 is a $1K book, without selling, is if there are more subs. Right now, there only have been only 27 submissions total of the book, including possible re-subs for the sig series. That's far too small a sample to accurately predict from. And those 27 subs aren't clustered (entirely) at 9.6/9.4, which would make sense if 9.8 was genuinely rare, and people were trying for that grade, but they're all over the place (including a single qualified, which I'll lay odds to is signed.)

If you consider only the Universals...there are 20. 1 of them is a 9.8. So, for every 20 copies submitted so far (not including those pre-screened out, because we cannot know that number), 1 has turned out to be 9.8.

If you compare that with Batman #428, a mere 5 issues later, and you discover that there have been 295 Universals subbed, with the vast majority clustering around 9.4/9.6, and only 10 9.8s. That's 1 for every 29.5 slabbed, which means #423 is, theoretically, 50% more likely to achieve a 9.8 than a #428 is.

(Batman #426-428, for the record, are still quite rare in 9.8 compared to the total amount slabbed....and that's not accounting for pre-screen failures.)

If there were, say, 100 copies of #423 submitted, and only one 9.8, you'd have a very strong case.

And we haven't even considered the "slab rush" effect, either!

I'm starting to think the 9.8's of today's market are like the 9.4 a few years ago.

9.9 & 10's are for sure money makers in key books

But CGC isn't handing out 9.9s and 10s except very, very sparingly (and not in a manner that I think jives with the Law of averages OR market consensus.)

I'm starting to think the 9.8's of today's market are like the 9.4 a few years ago.

But CGC isn't handing out 9.9s and 10s except very, very sparingly (and not in a manner that I think jives with the Law of averages OR market consensus.)

hey rock,

I think the test should be 9.8 and down... 9.9s and 10s we can't really verify if they even exist. Just talking about comics worth 1k in 9.8 or less.

hey rock,

I think the test should be 9.8 and down... 9.9s and 10s we can't really verify if they even exist. Just talking about comics worth 1k in 9.8 or less.

But also keep in mind that most 80's books were also printed on carp paper.

So anything in 9.4 & above would be a great find in white pages

hey rock,

That's a good number, then. Makes for an easy list:

Primer #2 (sometimes)

Turtles #1

Albedo #2

Albedo #0 Yellow (if it were to show up)

Gobbledeygook #1, 2

GI Joe #21

Amazing #300 (sometimes)

Uncle Scrooge #179

While I don't disagree with your various asessments, its important to note that 80s books (with the possible excpetion of TMNT and Albedo) really haven't experienced the "boom" effect that Bronze books have enjoyed in the last 5-7 years. Many 80s titles are still regarded as cr@p by the market, much like many Bronze age books were through the 90s and early 2000s.

When that comes, and it probably won't for another 3-5 years when titles like G.I. Joe hit the 30-year old mark, I think we will see a rise in prices that will bring a number of 9.8s into the $1k+ range.

While I don't disagree with your various asessments, its important to note that 80s books (with the possible excpetion of TMNT and Albedo) really haven't experienced the "boom" effect that Bronze books have enjoyed in the last 5-7 years. Many 80s titles are still regarded as cr@p by the market, much like many Bronze age books were through the 90s and early 2000s.

When that comes, and it probably won't for another 3-5 years when titles like G.I. Joe hit the 30-year old mark, I think we will see a rise in prices that will bring a number of 9.8s into the $1k+ range.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Of course, it'll be tempered by the higher availability of uberhigh grade books than there were for Bronze, but absolutely, there will be more in the future.