• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is spraying your comics restoration? Protection is not restoration.
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I was reading on the GCG site and they say you can not spray your books with protectants. How is this fair. If I buy a new book and spray, the spray will help it avoid smudges on the spine and help to advoid scratches. What is wrong with this? It is just like polishing your car, not only does it make it look better but it also protects. I thought restrotation could only take place after a book is damaged. How is protection restoration?

I was reading on the GCG site and they say you can not spray your books with protectants. How is this fair. If I buy a new book and spray, the spray will help it avoid smudges on the spine and help to advoid scratches. What is wrong with this? It is just like polishing your car, not only does it make it look better but it also protects. I thought restrotation could only take place after a book is damaged. How is protection restoration?

The simplest reply is that you are adding something to the book that was not part of its manufacture.

Fair or not, GCG gets to tell you what you can and can't do to your books. In fact, they're not even your books. You are just holding them for GCG until you slab them, at which time (if you read the fine print), ownership in the book switches to the GCG. That's why you can't spray your books, I mean GCG's books. GCG doesn't want you spraying their !

Fair or not, GCG gets to tell you what you can and can't do to your books. In fact, they're not even your books. You are just holding them for GCG until you slab them, at which time (if you read the fine print), ownership in the book switches to the GCG. That's why you can't spray your books, I mean GCG's books. GCG doesn't want you spraying their !

You are adding a physical composition to the book that was not part of the manufacture. Pretty simple, realy.

I dis agree with you, CGC allows signing of a book that is adding a composition but it also adds value. A spray is a protactant and not really a part of the book but it also adds value. In order to be labeled restoration you have to restore it to something. IMO a spray is not restoring the book. So, CGC is ok with an artist signing the book but it is not ok to protect your book, because signing brings more value to the book.

Spray your books? What do you spray your books with?I can't imagine why you would spray them with anything,do you use Armor-all to make them shiny?

Do yourself a favor,don't ruin your books with any kind of spray. (shrug)

So, CGC is ok with an artist signing the book but it is not ok to protect your book, because signing brings more value to the book.

Apples and oranges...we're talking grading here...CGC does not "add value" ...it assigns a grade... 'nuff said ...

If you sprayed a book, how would you be able to tell how much NATURAL cover gloss your book has. By spraying a book, you could take a book with NO COVER GLOSS at all and make it appear to have ARTIFICIAL cover gloss becuase you sprayed it.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a book with NATURAL cover gloss than a book that was sprayed since I wouldn't have known how bad the cover gloss had dissipated before spraying.

In other words, you are concealing something that could change the grade of the book...that's a No-No... (tsk)

Also you are adding something that was not a part of the original factory process in the printing of the comic book. That is a double no-no. (tsk) (tsk).

Look at it as when you replace rusty staples for example. yes that is protecting the book from harm and yes that is restoration. Got it.

Edited by Blind Owl

I wouldn't ever spray a book. But I dis agree with the statement that a book slabbed by the CGC Does NOT add value. Sure it does. You can look every day. Slabbed book A. Universal 9.4 sells for X amount of dollars. The same exact book, un slabbed sells for less $$. I am not saying this is a bad thing. Your getting industry experts looking at the book.

The restoration check is worth added value all by itself. Plus grading experts assigning a grade to the book. I may or may not agree with the grade. That is my decision. But that grade will be seen as a legitimate opinion on the book's grade. All of this add's up to value being added to the book.

The restoration check isn't up for debate. Either the book is 100% original or it isn't. Though some lee way is given on the older book's and certain types of restoration. An example would be a book from 1938. It has a very small amount of dried glue on the top staple/spine area. It will be given a Blue/Un Restored grade....

A slabbed CGC book gives the potential seller/buyer as much information on that book as they can have. It gives a peace of mind to both parties. You know what you are, or are not getting. The right information can make all the difference in the world.

I have de-slabbed one CGC book. It was/is a Hulk 181. It was assigned a grade of

8.0 White Pages, Universal Blue Label. I bought the book slabbed. I have never submitted a book to The CGC. I did however have absolute perfect high res. scans of the book in hand before my purchase. I sold it raw as a 9.2 White Pages, Un Restored.

I told the buyer it had been graded by the CGC. It was in my Ebay feedback.

He looked at the book in person. We both agreed they had simply "missed the mark" on the grade. I sold the book for exactly $450 more than what I bought it for. The buyer knew it. He was quite happy. At the time I had sold it for about $125.00 less than what a slabbed 9.2 was going for. The book was indeed sent into the fine folks in Sarasota.

The book came back @ a 9.2 OW/White pages.

I know this has been a long post. Sorry about that!! But a slabbed CGC book does/will sell for more $$$. Why would a person just not take great care when handling there books? I've never even heard of this spray before .

A signature added to a book will add some value. Unlike this spray. The signature is the artist/creator singing there work with there own hand. Not some ink stamp plate.

The artist/creator is putting there name on the book themselves. IT IS the artist{s} signing there creation{s}.

This spray is just :screwy: Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!!!

You are adding a physical composition to the book that was not part of the manufacture. Pretty simple, realy.

What about the oils from my skin when I touch it? Or humidity in storage? Pen marks and glue are considered resto depending on the assumed intent. Tape is sometimes considered a defect, etc.

It's completely arbitrary.

I dis agree with you, CGC allows signing of a book that is adding a composition but it also adds value. A spray is a protactant and not really a part of the book but it also adds value. In order to be labeled restoration you have to restore it to something. IMO a spray is not restoring the book. So, CGC is ok with an artist signing the book but it is not ok to protect your book, because signing brings more value to the book.

I licks to poot Varnish on my books befor sinding them to GCG. Perfekt protactant, perfekt 10.0 from GCG everytime.

I licks to poot Varnish on my books befor sinding them to GCG. Perfekt protactant, perfekt 10.0 from GCG everytime.

:takeit:

What about the oils from my skin when I touch it? Or humidity in storage? Pen marks and glue are considered resto depending on the assumed intent. Tape is sometimes considered a defect, etc.

It's completely arbitrary.

Actually it isn't arbitrary and you hit the nail on the head when you said "intent". Simply put, restoration is a process whose intent is to improve either the appearance of a book, the stability or the book or both. Since it is an intentional process with predictable results (well, predictable if they know what they're doing) we can put a name to it: restoration.

Things like oil from fingers, writing with pen, moisture damage do not have the intent of "improving" the book. They are essentially random events with no more intent than writing your n ame on a book to identify it is yours, or having one too many beers and dripping Manwich sauce on your FF1. (OK - who is going to post "Manwich :cloud9:"?)

So one could say that restoration is the intentional removal of random defects.

But, just as restored books get downgraded, books with random defects also get downgraded.

I do disagreee strongly about CGC's breaking tapes out and giving a Blue to those books with the destructive Scotch Tape. Just because collectors used it a lot in the old days, they're intent was the samer as a restorer. To intentionally improve the book in some way.

The fine print on the GCG contract say "ALL YOUR BOKS ARE BELONG TO US." THat mean that the GCG own them boks and can say don't spray there boks with nothing.