• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Marvel justify cancelling Ultimate X-Men?

31 posts in this topic

What Ultimate X-men suffered from was new-character-itis. There are so many cool X-men out there that have been written and developed over the last 45 years, the pressure to include them in the Ultimate book was probably great. So you've got too many characters getting face time.

Then the book was written like a Spidey book. All the characters had to have their own personal drama. Spidey has lots of personal drama, and its great, and he's also the only guy having drama in his books. 15 characters all dealing with that sort of stuff in a book is impossible to follow.

Imagine the first 75 issues of the first X-men, but with the Uncanny cast in there too, along with some New Mutants, and imagine that in all that we had to deal with some gayness here, some deep depression there, loves lost and gained, etc etc. Ugh.

I read arc by arc, and one arc would finish, I'd start reading, and I'd realize I didn't have even a bit of a clue as to what was going on. I'd have to reread the previous 12 issues to refresh. Each individual story was enjoyable, but the tapestry being woven together looked like poo.

Its homophobia...

a Gay Colossus prominetly displayed..

Name any ongoing series marvel has where a gay character in a relationship that has lasted

Colossus is gay too? I thought the Angel was the gay X-Man.
I heard Wolverine is going to come out of the closet too

Angel in the series 1602 was gay

in ultimate Xmen Colossus is gay

Northstar Natch

And hints at Nighrcrawler being gay

You just crossed the line (tsk)

Wasn't Nightcrawler originally planned to be the son of Mystique and Destiny, both woman?

Its homophobia...

Name any ongoing series marvel has where a gay character in a relationship that has lasted

Northstar Natch

Maybe they should just call it Y-Men.

Its homophobia...

Northstar Natch

Maybe they should just call it Y-Men.

Launcing in February 2009 from Marvel Comics:

'Ultimate Where the Girls Aren't' featuring all your favorite super heroes in situations you've never seen before!

Its homophobia...

Northstar Natch

Sorry to break the news, it was hinted at. I can't remember what issue that was.

Its homophobia...

Authority. Wasn't unsuccessful because of Apollo and Midnighter being gay. It's because it's impossible to follow-up on Ellis & Millar's works.

I'm a huge X-men fan and this series was largely a disappointment the whole way through. It's almost a replica of the regular universe. Even the vaunted Kirkman couldn't do much with it. They really needed to depart from 616 and failed to do that.

Ultimate FF has really slouched off lately too. Personally, I liked it for quite awhile. Again, the great Ellis was on the book. I even liked the whole Thanos storyline (though the coloring was a bit poor and it could be a bit confusing at times).

I'm surprised that anyone else is surprised. Wasn't this the point of Ultimatum?

Pat

Its homophobia...

Authority. Wasn't unsuccessful because of Apollo and Midnighter being gay. It's because it's impossible to follow-up on Ellis & Millar's works.

I'm a huge X-men fan and this series was largely a disappointment the whole way through. It's almost a replica of the regular universe. Even the vaunted Kirkman couldn't do much with it. They really needed to depart from 616 and failed to do that.

Ultimate FF has really slouched off lately too. Personally, I liked it for quite awhile. Again, the great Ellis was on the book. I even liked the whole Thanos storyline (though the coloring was a bit poor and it could be a bit confusing at times).

I'm surprised that anyone else is surprised. Wasn't this the point of Ultimatum?

Pat

So what is going to be left after Ultimatum? Just USM and the Ultimates?

Probably just USM.

I'm sure if any opportunity presented itself, they would do more books for it.

The annual will probably be something they continue. Personally, I think the annuals have been the best part of the universe the last couple years.

Ultimates is hard to say. I don't think Mad/Loeb's version of Ultimates was all that well received. If Millar wanted to do it, I'm sure they'd happily agree. Otherwise, I bet it will sit for awhile.

Pat

Probably just USM.

I'm sure if any opportunity presented itself, they would do more books for it.

The annual will probably be something they continue. Personally, I think the annuals have been the best part of the universe the last couple years.

Ultimates is hard to say. I don't think Mad/Loeb's version of Ultimates was all that well received. If Millar wanted to do it, I'm sure they'd happily agree. Otherwise, I bet it will sit for awhile.

Pat

Alas, Ultimate Avengers is on the horizon - for release sometime in 2009. Carlos Pacheco has been said to be the artist.