• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Will DARK KNIGHT make it to $1 billion?

Will TDK make it to $1 billion in worldwide box office (on it's initial release)  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Will TDK make it to $1 billion in worldwide box office (on it's initial release)

29 posts in this topic

Without the theater expansion in January, no it will not make $1B. The foreign market is pretty much done, and the present domestic rate would require many more months of receipts. The only possible chance for a marked increase in box office revenue would be IMAX viewings.

It only has to make another $3.5 million and the DVD is just coming out tomorrow. I think "Heck ya!" it'll make it. (thumbs u

I'm doing my part & picking up the Blu Ray tomorrow.

It's been at the second-run theatre here for two weeks now & on two screens. If it's pulling in roughly $330,000 a week right now (without the DVD/Blu Ray sales) it would reach 1 billion in around 11 weeks. I don't see how it can't make it, what with the DVD release date tomorrow.

I think the real question would be: How can it NOT reach 1 billion?!? (shrug)

It only has to make another $3.5 million and the DVD is just coming out tomorrow. I think "Heck ya!" it'll make it. (thumbs u

Did they start counting DVD sales for box office?

If not, ability to view on Blu Ray and DVD will likely hurt box office, oui?

:gossip:

The domestic take this past week was $280K, previous week was $560K boosted by Thanksgiving weekend.

Foreign total was $465.8M as of 11/17, was $465.9M as of the last update on 11/30, so the foreign business is pretty much done.

At the present rate, it won't make it to $1B, and will need the expansion in January to hope to do so.

Did they start counting DVD sales for box office?

If not, ability to view on Blu Ray and DVD will likely hurt box office, oui?

:gossip:

I was thinking overall gross for the picture. :sorry:

If it's pulling in roughly $330,000 a week right now (without the DVD/Blu Ray sales) it would reach 1 billion in around 11 weeks. I don't see how it can't make it, what with the DVD release date tomorrow.

Movies don't maintain their sales rates over an 11 week span. In fact, MOST drop off by 50% per week.

So it goes 340k, 170k, 85k, 42k, 21k, 10k, 5k, 2k, etc.

TDK has dropped off at a much lower rate than average, but it will not maintain the 330k per week rate.

The only shot it has to make it to $1 billon is if gets a MAJOR boost during the week between Xmas day and New Years day. Or it gets another round of IMAX viewings.

Otherwise it ain't gonna make it......

It will stay in theaters until it does. The $1 billion figure is just too good to come up short on. The movie E.T. stayed in one theater for a full year to hit its milestone. Batman won't go anywhere until it grabs at least one more headline.