• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What percent of modern drek would need to be burned to make the rest valuable?

75 posts in this topic

I got rid of about a long box via the charity route. I put together bundles in GA bags of little grab bags of age appropriate stuff, etc. I had 20 copies of Deathlok annual #1 I had to get rid of somehow (I had bought them for 10 cents each...I thought I could flip them for 50 cents, easy...not so easy!)

Also, flat rate boxes and envelopes are a good way to get rid of stuff. I generally fill them out with this stuff as freebies. Of course, this doesn't take them out of circulation, but maybe the person on the other end will be happy like when I stuck and extra 7 moderns into an envelope with a $3 BA book some father had bought for his kid.

Donate them to charity. There is still a lot of mileage in them I'm sure.

They would be better served sending them to the local childrens hospital than burning them.

Completely agree with this. To some collectors, those moderns aren't worth anything in the OSPG and they're worthless. But to a kid, those books are invaluable if they make him happy and spark his imagination.

Absolutely. All depends on your definition of "valuable."

Isn't there a big difference in print runs between comics produced in 2008 as opposed to 1995?

I would think the lower prints runs of today would potentially make for some reasonable values in the future.

It doesn`t matter about print runs not one major important new character has been created since 1998 by Marvel or DC. look it up. please Vertigo or Independant fans I am not talking about you. talk about a drought for the big 2. a freaking decade.if this was baseball they call it collusion.

It doesn`t matter about print runs not one major important new character has been created since 1998 by Marvel or DC.

why does this matter unless you're mainly worried about whether there are "key issues" to be had? if the stories were good, it really shouldn't matter. spiderman would go for years without a new character of note being introduced...if the stories are good, so what?

and while not so much in the new character realm, some one dimensional old characters have been bulked up in the last 10 years and become a lot more interesting, particularly in these megacrossover events where old characters have been dredged up.

I'll pay $10 to the first person who posts a video of themselves either:

1. Composting a long box of moderns and returning them to the earth; or

2. Submitting a long box of moderns to a paper recycling center.

Either video must involve destruction and/or non-return of the books.

hm

that's not really the point, though. If everyone today knows to save them in as perfect condition as possible, gets them slabbed, etc, then there will be no scarcity- even in high grade- in the long term. Without scarcity, no real value...

:pullhair:meh:tonofbricks::roflmao:

that's not really the point, though. If everyone today knows to save them in as perfect condition as possible, gets them slabbed, etc, then there will be no scarcity- even in high grade- in the long term. Without scarcity, no real value...

Joe your back! :banana:

The Pressing Threads have not been the same w/o ya! :devil:

well, first of all, that's not really true. very few people are getting everything slabbed. do you get new books slabbed? i never have. why? because it seems unlikely to make you any money unless you have something special. a 9.8 of last month's x-men probably barely (if at all) gets you back your costs. seriously, what are the census numbers on your run of the mill books?

plenty of non-scarce books have value. how many catzillions of the wolvie mini are out there? x-men 266? ASM 300??? the last year or two of byrne's x-men run? it's all about demand and not having the print run of Spawn 1.

and what does "valuable mean"? i kindah viewed this thread as "how to not make it worthless." i think most people here would be celebrating in the streets if their run of the mill 90s books had FMV of today's cover prices or even $2.

not to mention, how easy is it to get a 9.8 off the rack? i buy ONE book, Goon, and i doubt 1 out of 3 I have been able to find on the rack are 9.6ses, much less 9.8. most are 8.0 - 9.0.

Take the Passenger Pigeon (this is not the same thing as a homing pigeon). There used to be flocks of them so large, that they would actually make day time look like night time as they passed overhead. They were everywhere in the U.S., and very damaging to many farmers crops. People shot them and did whatever (maybe poison), and "suddenly" they are extinct. No one really saw it coming because there were so many of them. The last one died in the Cincinnati Zoo, I believe in 1961.

How may GI Joe #1's are out there? How many floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, mothers, little sisters, etc, would it take to make the GI Joe #'1s go way up in value? How many years would have to pass until those who "grew up" with GI Joe, now had disposable incomes so that they wanted and could buy a run of GI Joe? How much do collectors pay now for a GI Joe #1 in 9.6? 9.8? How much does a GI Joe #21 sell for now in 9.6 or 9.8?

My personal opinion is that X-Force or X-Factor #1 will be worth five hundred bucks or so, fifty years from now (say a CGC 9.0210) :) , but who they heck wants to wait that long with those in your closet? What else could 500 bucks buy you fifty years from now? Three candy bars?

Get rid of them now I say. End the madness.

Joe, I don't even know what that gremlin string means. Are you agreeing with me or ridiculing me?

well, first of all, that's not really true. very few people are getting everything slabbed. do you get new books slabbed? i never have. why? because it seems unlikely to make you any money unless you have something special. a 9.8 of last month's x-men probably barely (if at all) gets you back your costs. seriously, what are the census numbers on your run of the mill books?

It's not that just a relative few are getting them slabbed, it's a combination of even those few getting things slabbed, and a general awareness that modern collectors "should" be saving books in uber0high condition. When I was collecting in the 80's, practically nobody knew that nm- wasn't good enough. Today, any educated collector does. So many more today are saving books in high high grade.

plenty of non-scarce books have value. how many catzillions of the wolvie mini are out there? x-men 266? ASM 300??? the last year or two of byrne's x-men run? it's all about demand and not having the print run of Spawn 1.

I have many of these, and if they are not in uber grade, they actually are pretty worthless. As an example- a wolvie mini series in vfnm is pretty much worthless. You can get a set for less now than you could in the 80s.

and what does "valuable mean"? i kindah viewed this thread as "how to not make it worthless." i think most people here would be celebrating in the streets if their run of the mill 90s books had FMV of today's cover prices or even $2.

I would consider a comic worth $2 or less essentially worthless. It's not worth the time and energy to store it, save it, and sell it.

not to mention, how easy is it to get a 9.8 off the rack? i buy ONE book, Goon, and i doubt 1 out of 3 I have been able to find on the rack are 9.6ses, much less 9.8. most are 8.0 - 9.0.

I don't know exactly how easy it is, but whenever there is a "hot" book like the death of Cap, etc, I see a literal flood of hundreds on 9.8s on the market. So apparently it's not that tough?

An indie book like Goon is of course tougher due to a lower print run, and I would think those types of books have the best chance at future value, a la TMNT, Albedo, Bone, etc. But the average super hero book.

Is there any politition you know that we can email about the evil effect horrible modern age comics have on a young mind that could spark a book burning drive of the likes we had in the 50's against horror comics?

I'd write to that guy and tell him kids are getting the books slabbed to hide the contents from their parents if it would cause them to be burned. hm:insane::devil:

Take the Passenger Pigeon (this is not the same thing as a homing pigeon). There used to be flocks of them so large, that they would actually make day time look like night time as they passed overhead. They were everywhere in the U.S., and very damaging to many farmers crops. People shot them and did whatever (maybe poison), and "suddenly" they are extinct. No one really saw it coming because there were so many of them. The last one died in the Cincinnati Zoo, I believe in 1961.

How may GI Joe #1's are out there? How many floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, mothers, little sisters, etc, would it take to make the GI Joe #'1s go way up in value? How many years would have to pass until those who "grew up" with GI Joe, now had disposable incomes so that they wanted and could buy a run of GI Joe? How much do collectors pay now for a GI Joe #1 in 9.6? 9.8? How much does a GI Joe #21 sell for now in 9.6 or 9.8?

My personal opinion is that X-Force or X-Factor #1 will be worth five hundred bucks or so, fifty years from now (say a CGC 9.0210) :) , but who they heck wants to wait that long with those in your closet? What else could 500 bucks buy you fifty years from now? Three candy bars?

Get rid of them now I say. End the madness.

Don`t laugh but I expect G.I JOE 1 and G.I JOE 21 to be worth more then Giant size X-men 1 and Uncanny X-men 94 someday. especially at CGC 9.6.

I would consider a comic worth $2 or less essentially worthless. It's not worth the time and energy to store it, save it, and sell it.

i think most dealers/sellers would probably disagree...to a certain extent, of course. mainly you need to do it in volume. conventions are full of dealers selling that sort of book. neatstuff made a fortune selling moderns for 1 cent + $1.00 (or was it $1.50?) shipping (with no combination discount) for a while until so many people complained about being charged $50 or $75 to ship 50 krappy books and I guess it was too many negatives (which goes to show, there actually is a market for some of this krap...my friend was doing the same thing on a smaller scale and selling tons of drek..he had to stop because he is such a lazy p.o.s. he'd take weeks to ship (or never ship because he couldn't find the books) and got a zillion negatives.

if i could actually sell them at a decent clip i'd be happy to list $2 books in my ebay store. i did for a while, but they didn't sell fast enough to justify the costs.

plus, they're not worthless if you're sitting on thousands of them.

that's about $700 a long box.

sure, death of cap was probably also slabbed in bulk by stores before it ever hit the racks (where so much of the damage occurs) and by colossus (are they still around?) in a massive pre-order