• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Goals for 2009

96 posts in this topic

Although I picked up a few nice examples, I am still looking for more of the following in '09:

1. Keown Hulk covers

2. Keown Hulk splashes

3. Romita Jr Spidey covers (1990s - present)

Some new things I'd like to pick up this year (in no particular order):

1. Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan X-9 strips

2. Salinas Cisco Kid strips

3. Darwyn Cooke Wonder Woman pinup

4. Marshall Rogers Demon with a Glass Hand pages

5. Marshall Rogers Spiderman covers (Marvel Tales, Spider-Man)

6. John Romita Jr Thor covers

If you have any of the above, please send me a PM.

My OA goals for 2009:

A nice Gil Kane page (preferably something Spider-Man or Batman related).

A nice John Buscema page (preferably something Conan related).

At least one Wild Dog page from his Action Comics Weekly run.

A Spider-Girl or Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) cover.

That's all for now. :)

Well, that's one collecting goal for 2009 that has been accomplished. ;):grin:

Many thanks to Chandler as I will soon be adding a John Romita Sr. sketch cover to my collection!

I'm a guppy at best in this pond. Still...even the guppies have dreams, hopes, and aspirations. :grin: Of course, this guppy will need to pay off his AF 15 before anymore buying takes place. All goes well though, I do have a few other OA goals.

1. Romita Sr. Spider-Man sketch. What's worse is there is one I already have in mind and it's for sale. Just need to get closer to being back in black.

2. Bruce Timm Batman sketch. Funny thing I've noticed about every search I do for Bruce Timm on CAF is the sheer number of nudes this guy has done. Each to their own, but not exactly my cup o' tea. Still, I love his Batman and I remember watching the Animated Series in high school.

3. McFarlane Spider-Man color guides. I'm realistic. There is no way I'll ever be able to afford published Spider-Man art by Todd McFarlane, and since I've never seen any sketches go up for sale, color guides look to be my best option.

The goals aren't terribly ambitious this year, but then again, my budget is going to take a big hit later on in the year (this will be good thing), AND my wallspace is limited.

Eventually a cool Uncanny X-men page from either Cockrum, Byrne, or any of the cool guys during the copper era...minus JR, jr.

And a cool Human Fly page.

Barry Kitson Cover (unless he gets off spidey, no chance)

Black Adam page with the Isis nude splash.(page is still in France)

Tony Harris Starman Splash.

Hopefully another Batgirl special page will show.

Pay Jon Jespersen

Got a Batgirl published pinup by Kitson so close

paid jonjesper

My OA goals for 2009:

A nice John Buscema page (preferably something Conan related). Acheived!

At least one Wild Dog page from his Action Comics Weekly run. Acheived?

Just picked up a new page that, while not exactly what is listed above, is pretty dang close. I just don't know if it should count or not. Could any of you take a look and let me know what you think?

Barry Kitson Cover

Black Adam page with the Isis nude splash.(waiting on it to arrive)

Tony Harris Starman Splash.

Hopefully another Batgirl special page will show.

Pay Jon Jespersen

You have to take the Special or the LS run over the Action Comics Weekly stuff. But, jeez, you were pretty specific. So, nope, don't count it. Goals are what make the hobby.

Well, I guess. It's just that the ACW stuff doesn't seem to be around. I mean just vanished into the ether. Of course, most Wild Dog art is that way. I only came across the Special page by sheer luck. Dang, so close to making two of my goals before the year was half over, too. doh!

Well, I'm relatively new to this side of collecting, but I've got a list cultivated for the year....

1. Doctor Who page from Marvel Premiere run, Doctor Who Magazine, or 80's run.

2. Flash page, preferably Barry Allen with some action, and at least one rogue. Finances will be tight this year, so this will be layaway or luck I'm sure if it ends up being a big artist.

3. Master of Kung Fu page, from the series, and at leas one action panel.

4. Howard the Duck, from the main run or at least from something more than just Howard in he background.

5. My first cover. Definately in something in my collecting focus, or from my collecting growing up. This includes alot of indy and Valiant, so this is certainly do-able. :)

6. A Legion of Super Heroes page, from the first long run (I suppose it's considered the 2nd series because of the LS), and would LOVE a Keith G. page, but that's more of a grail. ;)

7. Last, but not least, I'd like to get a Mike Grell page. I'd really like a Green Arrow, but I'm not sure the price there.

I've never set plans for the year before, seems like a good idea. So, here's my wishlist/pipe-dream for 2009...

Kurt Scharffenberger Lois Lane 70/71 page with CATWOMAN (do these still exist??)

Budd Root Cavewoman cover

Jordi Bernet Catwoman page/commission

Eduardo Barreto Catwoman commish

Darwyn Cooke Catwoman commish

My 2009's off to a good start: two goals down!

Best of luck to everyone with their collections.

I want to get at least 2 more things framed. I dragged my for almost 2 years and finally brought something to get framed yesterday. In reality I'd like to get about 5 more framed but don't that I will get it done that fast.

Reflecting back on 2008, I feel I did pretty good following my plan for 2008. For 2009, my goal is to land one big page. I have my eyes on two covers right now so we will see what happens.

I still haven't hit my goal yet, but I am building up a nice war chest right now.

I would love to bid on this page coming up on Heritage, but given what it sold for the last time, I suspect it will be outside my price limit.

aquaman37.jpg

There are still two covers I am watching

I recently acquired a Fallen Son sketch cover by John Romita Sr ( :banana: ), so that takes number one off my list, and some recent & informative posts about color guides (and their lack of longevity) have essentially caused a change of thinking about #3... so looks like I've made decent progress. Unless something cool crops up near the end of the year, I'll probably shelf the Timm sketch for now.

I'm a guppy at best in this pond. Still...even the guppies have dreams, hopes, and aspirations. :grin: Of course, this guppy will need to pay off his AF 15 before anymore buying takes place. All goes well though, I do have a few other OA goals.

1. Romita Sr. Spider-Man sketch. What's worse is there is one I already have in mind and it's for sale. Just need to get closer to being back in black.

2. Bruce Timm Batman sketch. Funny thing I've noticed about every search I do for Bruce Timm on CAF is the sheer number of nudes this guy has done. Each to their own, but not exactly my cup o' tea. Still, I love his Batman and I remember watching the Animated Series in high school.

3. McFarlane Spider-Man color guides. I'm realistic. There is no way I'll ever be able to afford published Spider-Man art by Todd McFarlane, and since I've never seen any sketches go up for sale, color guides look to be my best option.

The goals aren't terribly ambitious this year, but then again, my budget is going to take a big hit later on in the year (this will be good thing), AND my wallspace is limited.

My OA goals for 2009:

A nice John Buscema page (preferably something Conan related). Achieved!

At least one Wild Dog page from his Action Comics Weekly run. Achieved!

Well, I actually made this goal completely achieved now! And I won't be getting just one page from Wild Dog's Action Comics Weekly run, but multiple ones! How's that for success?

Two goals down, in less than half a year. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. :D

Hopefully I will attain these goals next year.

H. G. Peter - Wonder Woman page

Hogarth - Tarzan strip

Mother Goose and Grimm strip

Green Hornet golden age cover

Silver Surfer page from the first series featuring Shalla-Bal or Silver Surfer or Methisto

One down , Silver Surfer #8 page with Mephisto.

I want to get at least 2 more things framed. I dragged my for almost 2 years and finally brought something to get framed yesterday. In reality I'd like to get about 5 more framed but don't that I will get it done that fast.

Well I got 5 more done in about a 2 month span, so I did get my in gear.

Although I picked up a few nice examples, I am still looking for more of the following in '09:

1. Keown Hulk covers

2. Keown Hulk splashes

3. Romita Jr Spidey covers (1990s - present)

Some new things I'd like to pick up this year (in no particular order):

1. Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan X-9 strips

2. Salinas Cisco Kid strips

3. Darwyn Cooke Wonder Woman pinup

4. Marshall Rogers Demon with a Glass Hand pages

5. Marshall Rogers Spiderman covers (Marvel Tales, Spider-Man)

6. John Romita Jr Thor covers

If you have any of the above, please send me a PM.

Mid-year summary:

In general, I've seen more availability on key items that interest me so that's a good thing, but I sure wish the prices would drop so I can afford to pick up some more goodies :takeit: