• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Goals for 2009

96 posts in this topic

I've given very little thought to my collecting goals but some recent ebay auctions tweaked me to throw this out there: colour guides to Kraven's Last Hunt. There are lots of neat pages in that book which rock the nostalgia and I'd consider any of them, but there are a few that I would really like.

Again, as they're Zeck pieces, it falls into my area of expertise. What are/were up for sale on eBay were the color bluelines that were produced for the Kraven's Last Hunt TPB. These are different from the color guides that were created for the individual issues of the original Spider-man books that printed the Kraven story. As I've never seen any of those interior color guide pages, I have to assume those original color guides are still complete. I used to own the color guides for the first three Spider-man Kraven books - those were done by Zeck (and were beautiful).

As some people may have heard, all the B&W art to the Kraven books is still complete (with the covers) and likely will never be for sale anytime soon. So, if you're a fan of the series, these color bluelines are a great alternative. Pages are relatively inexpensive (typically under $200) and they look very vibrant in person. The process that was used to produce these was for Marvel to make a blueline copy of the art on illustration board and then Mike and/or his assistants would paint them. I thought that Ian Tetrault and Phil Zimelman split the responsibilities for painting these particular bluelines, but the credits inside the book only credit Tetrault and Zeck. I'll clarify this the next time I talk with Mike. The same process was also used to color the Punisher Big Nothing book (although those pages are larger than the Kraven ones).

I believe there were only 8 other pieces of "new" art that were created for the TPB reprints

- The hardcover TPB cover - penciled by Zeck and painted by Zimelman (sold to a father and son at a local MD comic show back in 1988)

- The softcover TPB cover - fully done by Zeck (a grail piece owned by Jim Warden)

- Page 129 in the book (the blueline for this is currently on eBay and the B&W appeared for sale 6-7 years ago)

- A new pin-up that appeared on page 155 (the B&W piece is owned by a dealer)

- The graveyard scene on page 158 (I've never seen this one surface)

- The black Spidey logo end papers (owned by Duane Murray http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=270013&GSub=50226)

- An illustration of two Spiders (I own that piece http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=224518&GSub=5251&GCat=0&UCat=0)

- An illustration of multiple Spiders (I own that piece as well http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=224541&GSub=5251&GCat=0&UCat=0)

Good luck with your collecting quest! You've got good taste!

I've given very little thought to my collecting goals but some recent ebay auctions tweaked me to throw this out there: colour guides to Kraven's Last Hunt. There are lots of neat pages in that book which rock the nostalgia and I'd consider any of them, but there are a few that I would really like.

I made a list last year and got one of the three major wants I had. However, it wasn't for lack of opportunity...I simply chose not to pay what it would have taken to get the other two. So for 2009, I want to follow the same path: To buy art I like but only if the price is right. I'm glad I didn't get caught in a "must-have-at-all-costs" mentality. I was able to get a lot of other art that I'll enjoy for far less than what it would have cost to get just those two items on my list.

Anyhow, here's hoping that there will be deals to be had in 2009 (and that I'll still be able to afford them!).

Hi all -

These are always enjoyable exercises. While 2008,was a great year in terms of acquiring some nice art, for some reason, when I looked back on my 2008 want list, it seemed as if I had an over 90% failure rate in terms of picking up things that I actually wanted - lol!

There are various reasons, but one of the biggest was that with respect to certain items on the want list that I was either offered or had the opportunity to purchase, the prices were a little beyond what I thought it would be reasonable to pay for such a piece.

In any event, here's my 2009 want list -- which looks alot like my 2008 want list -- any help would be appreciated ;)

-------------

The listed pieces are in no particular order. . . .

Neal Adams - Avengers page; GL/GA page, X-men page; Batman/Detective page in that order.

Frank Miller - DD page from early in the run, or a DKR page

George Perez - splashy Avengers page (any run) or a nice Teen Titans splash page or cover

John Byrne - any page Byrne/Austin with any character that I can recognize in it

Michael Golden - a nice Micronauts page, or a nice Batman page

Jim Starlin - a first run Captain Marvel page

Berni Wrightson - a Swamp Thing page OR a nice 70s example

Michael Kaluta - a nice Shadow page

Marshall Rogers - any Rogers / Austin pages

Dale Keown - vintage Hulk page (splashy) or recent cover (I know, the people who have these would rather sell their vital organs . . . what else is new)

Jim Lee - Lee/Williams X-men or Hush page

Gil Kane - Green Lantern page or any page inked by Wally Wood

Jack Kirby - a 1960s Marvel page (a nice representative example)

Brian Bolland - any nice example with a cognizable character.

Keith Pollard - nice 70s / 80s cover or splash - major character

Ethan Van Sciver - GL Rebirth (or not, but still GL) splash or cover

Steve Epting / Mike Perkins - a nice Captain America splash or cover

Jimmy Cheung - splash or cover with major characters (Marvel)

----------

Last year, I was able to knock one (1) thing off this list but picked up a great many other things that I really do enjoy along the way. If I do the same this year, it would be a decent year - lol!

This hobby is maddening, frustrating and aggravating, and that is before it devastates your bank account --- but boy, is it a fun ride!

Thanks in advance to all who will look at these lists and make offers (like last year), and best regards to everyone for a happy and healthy holiday season.

- Artemis

2008 was a pretty good year for me. A total of 4 x EC covers (including a complete book of pre-trend art) and a rare John Severin 1957 Atlas cover (Marvel).

One of the EC covers - the 2nd issue of WEIRD SCIENCE - was one of my all-time-favorite Feldsteins, so I was especially pleased to have been lucky enough to land that one (with thanks to Steve F and Will G).

For 2009 . . .

Already I have another EC complete book of (pre-trend) art lined-up for early January (done deal, just need to organize payment).

No goals as such . . . just wait and see what surfaces.

I know what I like and seldom buy on impulse.

If the price is outrageous (and some dealers I can no longer take seriously), there are lots of other outlets for OA to look towards.

I talked with Mike Zeck tonight and clarified the coloring credits on the Kraven bluelines... Since they had a chance to go back to the drawing board re-coloring the books when they produced the TPB edition, Zeck created a new set of color guides which he then handed over to Tetrault. Tetrault used those guides as a reference to paint the final bluelines that were printed. Zimelman was not involved with this effort.

I thought that Ian Tetrault and Phil Zimelman split the responsibilities for painting these particular bluelines, but the credits inside the book only credit Tetrault and Zeck. I'll clarify this the next time I talk with Mike.

I'm a guppy at best in this pond. Still...even the guppies have dreams, hopes, and aspirations. :grin: Of course, this guppy will need to pay off his AF 15 before anymore buying takes place. All goes well though, I do have a few other OA goals.

1. Romita Sr. Spider-Man sketch. What's worse is there is one I already have in mind and it's for sale. Just need to get closer to being back in black.

2. Bruce Timm Batman sketch. Funny thing I've noticed about every search I do for Bruce Timm on CAF is the sheer number of nudes this guy has done. Each to their own, but not exactly my cup o' tea. Still, I love his Batman and I remember watching the Animated Series in high school.

3. McFarlane Spider-Man color guides. I'm realistic. There is no way I'll ever be able to afford published Spider-Man art by Todd McFarlane, and since I've never seen any sketches go up for sale, color guides look to be my best option.

The goals aren't terribly ambitious this year, but then again, my budget is going to take a big hit later on in the year (this will be good thing), AND my wallspace is limited.

McFarlane Spider-Man color guides. I'm realistic. There is no way I'll ever be able to afford published Spider-Man art by Todd McFarlane, and since I've never seen any sketches go up for sale, color guides look to be my best option.

Not always true, my friend. Never say never! Sometimes you can get a really cool deal, like I did for my McFarlane page. Oh, sure, it's not a splash, or key moment, or anything like that, but you'd be surprised what us "guppies" can end up with. ;)

So, don't be afraid to dream big. :)

McFarlane Spider-Man color guides. I'm realistic. There is no way I'll ever be able to afford published Spider-Man art by Todd McFarlane, and since I've never seen any sketches go up for sale, color guides look to be my best option.

Not always true, my friend. Never say never! Sometimes you can get a really cool deal, like I did for my McFarlane page. Oh, sure, it's not a splash, or key moment, or anything like that, but you'd be surprised what us "guppies" can end up with. ;)

So, don't be afraid to dream big. :)

Good advice! Keep looking, an affordable McFarlane Venom sketch just sold on ebay and I noticed atleast 1 seller with a TM page for sale on CAF -> Spidey 304 page

In the first 6 months of 2009, I'd like to add to my collection some:

Iron Fist pages

Daredevil pages particularly Mazzuchelli and Romita Jr. art

Frank Quitely pages including another cover or two

and one Paul Pope piece

Then I'm taking a break.

I just looked at my 2008 acquisition list and I'd have to say it was a great but very expensive year of over 50 pieces but I bought 4-5X what I sold so my goal will be too balance that better in 2009.

That said, I can't resist art I want...per my signature line

Here are some original art pieces that I'd like to acquire in '09:

Kane/Romita - ASM 90, Page 12! ????? Where is this page?

ASM Complete book color guide

Adams, Neal - Avengers

Buscema, John - Avengers 82, Silver Surfer 14

Chaykin, Howard - American Flagg cover

Colan/Palmer DD example - especially issue 91

Grell, Mike - Jon Sable - Cover or one exceptional interior page, the earlier the better, nothing on vellum

Heck, Don - Avengers 23, page 3

Hernandez, Jamie - Love and Rockets

Hostess Ad Art - Spider-Man example

Kirby, Jack - New Gods, Mister Miracle #9

Romita, John Jr - Iron Man #125, last page splash

Marvel Christmas themed page

Ross, Alex - Marvels Issue 4

Smith, Barry - Conan, Marvel Fanfare #15

Totleben, John - Miracleman, Swamp Thing

Veitch, Rick - Swamp Thing #79 (SuperMan Issue)

I'm open to trading, so, if I've got anything that you're interested in, let me know. Thanks for looking and best of luck to everyone with their collecting goals!

Best,

Jeff Sharpe

www.amazingcomicart.com

Hi All,

Here is something of a wants list/would like to see more of, for 2009. 2008 has been a surprisingly good year for me art wise, so for 2009 I'd really like to try and get more of the following -

Brian Stelfreeze art - pages, covers, whatever!

Kevin Nowlan pages - covers might be nice too!

Dale Keown, Jeff Purves, Gary Frank, Sam Kieth, Bill Jaaska Incredible Hulk art

I'm happy to talk cash or trade so please let me know if you have something you might be willing to part with. My collection can be seen here - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=156

Goes without saying that I'm always interested in Mike Allred art too! :insane:

Thanks all, and I hope everyone has a great 2009!

Best

Simon

For me:

Get back into the hobby. This includes scanning in artwork and getting it loaded into my CAF gallery, along with buying something this year - it's been a long time coming. Also hoping to make the trip out to SDCC or another "big" show.

Would like to obtain the following:

Grail search

Sandman #4 pages 20 and 21 by Sam Kieth to complete my "dream" sequence.

Realistic goals

another McKean commission - thinking his take on Desire or Destruction would be cool

Jay Anacleto page / commission, have really become fond of his insanely detailed work

Geoff Darrow - still haven't found *that* piece

or whatever else really catches my eye that I can afford :)

Later.

-Will

I have my grail so I'm good. I would like a Starscream Transformers page or a nice Star Wars page. A Darkhawk cover may be cool. The cover to #17 would be awesome cause I already have the color guide!