• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Goals for 2009

96 posts in this topic

Well, 2009 is almost half over... still looking for Mike Zeck and Phil Zimelman's painted cover to Punisher #5 from the Limited Series. Anyone seen it in the last 23 years?

If you have it or know someone who does PLEASE contact me! A finders fee for anyone who can help me track it down!

Hey didn't see this for some reason around X-Mas.

Tried to keep the OA goals very narrow, as I collect comics like a paranoid schizophrenic :insane:

1. George Perez NTT Cover - they are out there but I won't pay what the dealers want (missed the Keebler on Heritage and have been kicking myself ever since) :tonofbricks:

2. Perez NTT Splash - bought it. :cloud9:

3. Hellblazer cover - in the works :wishluck:

4. Buscema Conan title splash - haven't seen the right one.

5. Zeck Deathstroke cover - a few are in circulation but the good ones are locked away.

Barry Kitson Cover (unless he gets off spidey, no chance)

Black Adam page with the Isis nude splash.(page is still in France)

Tony Harris Starman Splash.

Hopefully another Batgirl special page will show.

Pay Jon Jespersen

Got a Batgirl published pinup by Kitson so close

paid jonjesper

I'm not doing too well

For me:

Get back into the hobby. This includes scanning in artwork and getting it loaded into my CAF gallery, along with buying something this year - it's been a long time coming. Also hoping to make the trip out to SDCC or another "big" show.

Would like to obtain the following:

Grail search

Sandman #4 pages 20 and 21 by Sam Kieth to complete my "dream" sequence.

Realistic goals

another McKean commission - thinking his take on Desire or Destruction would be cool

Jay Anacleto page / commission, have really become fond of his insanely detailed work

Geoff Darrow - still haven't found *that* piece

or whatever else really catches my eye that I can afford :)

One down and still have time to make something else to happen.

Later.

-Will

I've ticked off a lot of boxes this year:

- a BWS Conan page (1st Red Sonja appearance from Conan #23)

- a James Jean Fables cover (TPB 7 "Arabian Nights" cover)

- a Marcel Dzama cartoon drawing

- a published Sanjulian Vampirella cover (issue #38)

Plus picked up some unexpected goodies:

- my 6th complete Jose Gonzalez Vampirella story (issue #44)

- my 3rd Frank Miller Elektra page (DD #178)

- the first Vampirella story by Forry Ackerman and Tom Sutton (Vampi #1)

- some undisclosed good stuff (not in my CAF)

I'm on a collecting break right now, though, and loving it. I'm even thinking about retiring from collecting in the not-too-distant future if I can get a few of my most coveted pieces. hm

I'm on a collecting break right now, though, and loving it. I'm even thinking about retiring from collecting in the not-too-distant future if I can get a few of my most coveted pieces. hm

I hear you. I took a break for 6 months, but got back into it, although not as passionate about it now (shrug)

considering how well I did with my 2008 goals, maybe my 2009 goals should be to buy less stuff! :D

I'll just continue to buy art from comics I enjoy as they become available. The newer stuff is easier, since the artist or reps still have them. It's the older stuff that are in circulation that are much harder (e.g. Grell Longbow Hunters page, early Maguire JLA page)

Good luck to everyone in their 2009 goals!

I was going to wait until I got the art to update this thread. Heck, the art seems late so I'm a little worried, but I have a mega batch of art coming that will allow me to strike off a couple of items on this list.

1. An Early Maguire JLA page

2. Dave Cockrum page from the Nightcrawler miniseries.

Malvin

I can't tell you how many times I have TRIED to take a break and I just can't do it. I would have so much time (and money!) if I could pull away from collecting it would be almost life-changing. I can be selective when it comes to what I choose to spend money on but I have to buy something every once in a while or at least continue the SEARCH, even when money is an issue.

It's a disease I tell ya!

I looked at my goals for the year and won't have gotten anywhere with them by the end, though I will have picked up two nice pieces. I feel I've successfully pulled back. (And decided to for a lot of reasons, financial being the biggest) Now my goal is to add 1-2 pieces a year and that is all. I have probably 20 things on my want list, several of them unattainable because of money. And that list is shrinking not growing as I decide that I don't "need" certain things for my collection.

I would dearly like to reach a point where I am content and feel like I can be "done" but that won't be for a long while till I procure some of the pieces that are still reasonably obtainable.

I would dearly like to reach a point where I am content and feel like I can be "done" but that won't be for a long while till I procure some of the pieces that are still reasonably obtainable.

Can we ever be done? I don't think I'll ever be done. Unless I myself am done and have gone on to the great beyond.

Malvin

I can be selective when it comes to what I choose to spend money on but I have to buy something every once in a while or at least continue the SEARCH, even when money is an issue.

It's a disease I tell ya!

I'm on an extended break right now, bought less than 10 pieces since 2007, spent maybe $5k? Instead I piled up cash the last two years (not a plan, just worked out that way cuz I was very busy), and luckily didn't put it into the stock market. Then in March when financial stocks (and the market) really bottomed I said to myself "geez if this stuff goes any lower the USA is going out of business" and decided to buy a broad basket of stocks in the financial sector. Now I screw up as much if not more often as I win in all things, but man I'm happy how this deal worked out :)

The temptation is very great right now to cash in that 60% return and start buying OA again, but with all that's gone on the last 18 months in our country, I'm liking that very liquid balance a little bit more. It's a relief to not have to think "if things go really sour, how fast can I get 75% or more of my OA value and from whom (Burkey, Snyder, Heritage?)" Instead it's just sitting there, not needed, but on tap. Yeah it goes up and down every day, but it's very near to real cash (not art-cash) and I can make it real cash with a few mouse clicks. The big reason I haven't done so already is I think the market has another 10%-15% to go up before the end of the year and I'd like to dodge significant short-term capital gains taxes for 2009.

Goals? I'd really like to add two covers - a Cockrum X-Men and a Zeck Captain America. These aren't so much 2009 goals, more like ongoing. Oh and maybe one or two really nice crime or horror pulp paintings. All pricey. Otherwise I'm pretty sated.

It's a disease, not sure there's a cure, but sometimes it goes into remission :)

Well I didn't make much of a dent in this years goal but I recently picked up the cover to Silver Surfer 17 thanks to the classified section of this very forum. :cloud9:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=556450&GSub=16693

In no particular order for 2009:

1. Darwyn Cooke Hulk commission

2. Lee Bermejo Marvel Superhero cover

3. Tim Sale Captain America White page

4. Jim Cheung Marvel cover or splash

5. David Finch Marvel splash or cover

6. Marko Djurdjevic splash or cover

7. Tim Sale 11x17 Hulk commission

8. Dell'Otto painted commission (Hulk or Terrax)

9. Adam Hughes Hulk commission

10. Amazing Spider-Man cover

Besides this stuff I have the stuff I am always looking for.

1. Ron Lim Silver Surfer covers

2. Tim Sale Batman or Marvel covers

3. Jack of Heart mini series covers

I had no defined goals for the year, but had HOPED to spend less money overall. Not get less art, just spend less for it. What happened to The Crash? (shrug)

Instead, I spent more this year than any other previous year. doh!

Maybe I'll smarten up by 2010. Either that, or enter OA rehab.

What happened to The Crash? (shrug)

I was hoping the entire original art market would tank in 2009, so I could pick up some pieces at more reasonable levels. Prices were in fact lower at the beginning of the year, but unfortunately, art prices appear to have recovered with most dealers asking full boat once again. So I am going to sit out the remainder of the year and wait for The Crash in 2010.