• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From a 5.0 Light tan to OW to a 1.8 with BRITTLE Paper. How????

45 posts in this topic

That and or new damage caused by the brittle paper as Richie mentioned.(He smart that one)

If he's so smart, then why can't he choose between 2 books? (shrug)

My choice is both.

As Geddy Lee said, "even if you do not decide you still have made a choice!"

(worship)

Rock on wise Ze-man

RUSH

:headbang:

That and or new damage caused by the brittle paper as Richie mentioned.(He smart that one)

My choice is both.

(worship)

Rock on wise Ze-man

RUSH

I will choose the path that's clear,

I will choose...BOTH!

This is actually a very interesting subject......CGC definitely ( as do most of us ) downgrades the overall grade of a book substantially if it has brittle pages / having nothing to do with the condition of the cover.

So, in this case, the cover between the old grading and the new grading could in theory be exactly in the same condition, and the grade could be lowered as it was strictly based on PQ. With this as a given, the real question is, can a book in a few years, either cracked out for some period of time, or in a CGC holder, deteriorate from light tan to brittle?......I would think so if it was cracked out and stored poorly ... shouldn't happen if the book was in a holder the entire time ( which it most likely wasn't, or there would be no need to regrade )

Well since it's only been 4 years and we know Metropolis knows how to store books. let's just agree on 1 of 2 things:

Either the poor paper quality was missed from before, or harshly raded this time. Or perhaps handling the book just a couple more times allowed for the pages to reveal their true brittleness?

I just don't get the "light tan to off-white" becomes "brittle" in just 4 years. It's not even "slightly brittle"...

I believe all three have happened to this book. At first the book was probably overgraded from a 3.5 to a 5.0, then it was taken out and the book dropped to a grade of 2.0 to 2.5. And at last the book was undergraded and given a grade of 1.8.

:golfclap:

I believe all three have happened to this book. At first the book was probably overgraded from a 3.5 to a 5.0, then it was taken out and the book dropped to a grade of 2.0 to 2.5. And at last the book was undergraded and given a grade of 1.8.

:golfclap:

I would have to disagree...the book was likely accurately graded at 5.0 given the PQ not being brittle...

book was cracked, possibly exposed to make the pages break/brittle or stored in such a way as to expedite brittling, then reslabbed and CGC will not grade low to mid grade brittle page book better than 2.0...

they will grade a mid grade (otherwise..say 7.0 or better looking) at a max of 3.0 with brittle pages...this has been my experience...

Well, I just emailed the guy who sent it to me on consignment. Apparently it had been graded a 2.0 in between the 5.0 and the 1.8 by CGC. From what I've been told the guy cracked it out and sold it to Metro saying "This used to be a 5.0". So someone tried to get one past Met. What is wrong with people?

I have a book in my possession that someone sent me to sell for them on ebay on consignment.

Hah, that would be my dad that sent you the comic. (He sent me the link to this thread for me to read, and I felt compelled to say something).

When we got the comic from Metropolis back in late August/early September, we did not remove it from the sleeves they had put it in. The only time I ever touched the comic was when he handed it over to CGC at a comic book show. Perhaps we should have opened it earlier to see what was wrong with it, but even in the few seconds that I was holding it without any sleeves, it seemed fine.

My choice is both.

(worship)

Rock on wise Ze-man

RUSH

Those are actually Neal Peart's lyrics, but who's counting?

;)

I have a book in my possession that someone sent me to sell for them on ebay on consignment.

Hah, that would be my dad that sent you the comic. (He sent me the link to this thread for me to read, and I felt compelled to say something).

When we got the comic from Metropolis back in late August/early September, we did not remove it from the sleeves they had put it in. The only time I ever touched the comic was when he handed it over to CGC at a comic book show. Perhaps we should have opened it earlier to see what was wrong with it, but even in the few seconds that I was holding it without any sleeves, it seemed fine.

I think Detective27kid likely has it right - the previous owner cracked it out of the slab and the page cracking occurred during his possession. Sent to Metropolis who then graded it accordingly. Just curious as to whether brittleness was identified when you acquired it.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!! :hi: Hope you enjoy your time here!

Your dad is a good guy! Tell him to pay up for the Betty and Veronicas I just sold him! :baiting:

A similar story...

Want List Dave Anderson had early issue of Adventure Comics for sale.

At a show a guy asked to look at it. It looked really pretty in the mylar. The guy took the book out and opened it to the centerfold. The interior pages were so brittle they completely split in half and fell on the floor. The guy was left holding the cover which was still intact and still looked beautiful. Dave was pizzed but what could anyone do?

That's why for many expensive items, i let the owner pick it up and play first. Break it you buy it becomes very scary when you deal with fragile/ small easily dropped items.

I think Detective27kid likely has it right - the previous owner cracked it out of the slab and the page cracking occurred during his possession. Sent to Metropolis who then graded it accordingly. Just curious as to whether brittleness was identified when you acquired it.

When I had it out, I didn't notice any, but I could have missed some glaring page brittleness...........

All of the pages were intact, but yes, the pages were tanning, but they weren't as bad as one would imagine. And hello!

And Shield; I'm pushing him! It took me years (seriously) to convince him that Betty and Veronica were, in fact, a vital part of the Archie universe. :P

No, nobody told us the comic had brittle pages when we bought it. Also, thanks for all the input you guys have given us. You're all a big help!