• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To tell or not to tell..

Would you tell?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Would you tell?

59 posts in this topic

If you came upon a tag sale with a bunch of grails being sold (AF #15, ASM #1, Supes #1, etc) for a quarter a piece, would you tell the seller?

I have been pondering this question and I know what the answer is supposed to be "Yes, I tell and the once ignorant seller makes the million I would've made!" But would you REALLY do that? If you actually did come across that once in a life time moment, would you actually give it up?

I am putting this anonymous poll here, no names are to be given on how you voted, just vote and see how many would do the moral thing.

For a quarter a piece? Sorry but no.

But what I would do is, give him a percentage of what the value of the grails are worth. Obviously not a HUGE percentage (depends on the book(s)). Because, either way I get the millions and he gets A LOT more then his asking price.

But what I would do is, give him a percentage of what the value of the grails are worth. Obviously not a HUGE percentage (depends on the book(s)). Because, either way I get the millions and he gets A LOT more then his asking price.

So you tell the person who is selling the book(s) that they are worth a fortune and you will split the profit and they say, "Well, in that case, forget it...I ain't selling!" Then they go find a guide and the next thing you know they are selling on ebay.

So you tell the person who is selling the book(s) that they are worth a fortune and you will split the profit and they say, "Well, in that case, forget it...I ain't selling!" Then they go find a guide and the next thing you know they are selling on ebay.

See, that's why you buy the books FIRST. Then take them HOME. THEN come back, and give the seller a bonus.

Of course, I would never take advantage of someone like that. :whistle:

See, that's why you buy the books FIRST. Then take them HOME. THEN come back, and give the seller a bonus.

Of course, I would never take advantage of someone like that. :whistle:

That's what I meant. I'll give them a bonus and tell them it's because I'm a nice guy.. :whistle: I would of course not mention anything about the book's value

i buy the books and keep them.

how would it differ if it was a little old lady selling her recently deceased husbands collection for a steal. would you tell her?

No. She probably wouldn't have time to spend it all :P

If the books were in a yard sale for a quarter a piece I would buy them without a second thought and not tell the seller.

It happens everyday here. "Look what I picked up at a yard sale for a quarter and it's worth $65..."

$25, $100, $1000 or $100,000. It doesn't matter. All sins are equal in the eyes of God. Why should the dollar amount matter?

If the books were in a yard sale for a quarter a piece I would buy them without a second thought and not tell the seller.

It happens everyday here. "Look what I picked at a yard sale for a quarter and it's worth $65..."

$25, $100, $1000 or $100,000. It doesn't matter. All sins are equal in the eyes of God. Why should the dollar amount matter?

:o(worship)

I don't think there is anything unethical with a buyer meeting a seller's designated purchase price, no matter how greatly it varies in either direction from actual value. The seller had the opportunity to do his or her due diligence and opted to make this what he perceives to be fair market value.

That said, if I were a shop owner and these books walked in the door without a set price, it would be unethical to deal without full disclosure.

I'd grab 'em, pay for 'em and get out of there as quickly as possible. I can see 2 problems with that situation though:

1) Trying not to have that look on my face as if if were a junkie needing a fix. :sick:

2) Not getting a speeding ticket going home because I was in such a hurry to post my purchase on these boards. :devil:

Why should the dollar amount matter?
To me it doesn't. Fortunately the described scenario is extremely unlikely which protects many of us from having to wrestle with the question.

IMHO, my knowledge of the market, all the time I've spent gaining my expertise in the field has value. I have put in the man-hours to know the hobby inside out. That is my choice, and for my benefit.

If I am smart enough to know a guy selling a copy of Action #1 at a yard sale for a quarter is worth $150k, it's because I have done my homework. My time, and expertise is worth money. If the guy had called me on the phone and paid me for an appraisal of his comic collection, I would have been happy to oblige him. If I go around giving free appraisals, then my knowledge is completely valueless to me.

The fact that I would probably go back to the guy and give him a little cash *if* I sold the Action #1 is another story. There would be a lot of factors that could change the outcome. But I would do that out of the kindness of my heart, and not because I felt obligated to do it.

So, no. I wouldn't tell. If they want to be experts in the comic field, they should put the work into it that I have. 2c

The poll is flawed in that... Yes, I would tell the seller but WHEN? They clearly didn't know what they had in the first place. It's not clear that they would be able to sell it for the same price I could probably get as well.

(I'd then give a generous percentage of the net profit to the original seller... probably approaching 50%)