• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyler Durden????

29 posts in this topic

Dur. This is about as good as empire's Top 100 Comic Characters from a while back. Whilst I appreciated seeing my namesake placed 3rd in a list of all time most important comic characters, it was blatantly absurd lol

No 3 The Joker

3rd greatest movie character?? So, more important to cinema than Charles Foster Kane, Norman Bates, James Bond, Antoine Doinel, 'Blondie' (the Good) and Sam Spade? He's not even in the top 100.

ridiculous. most people who vote on these things dont realise movies were made before 1972 and think that only 3 were made before star wars (godfather 1 2 and jaws).

these are the same people who would vote britney as the gretest singer of all time. their frame of reference is too narrow.

ridiculous. most people who vote on these things dont realise movies were made before 1972 and think that only 3 were made before star wars (godfather 1 2 and jaws).

these are the same people who would vote britney as the gretest singer of all time. their frame of reference is too narrow.

All i should have to say to this kind of argument, is yes you're right. But my real reply is more like ' get with the times grandpa.' To me, casablanca and other such "ye olde movies" have no meaning, they're old, tired, and cinematically no matter how important, irrelevant to me in my generation.

PS Since Tyler Durden is merely an aspect of 'The Narrator's fractured personality, can he be named as best character? Shouldn't the title go to 'The Narrator'?

Oops, nearly just gave the game away lol

That's always a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

He is the only part of the narrator that gets named, though sometimes (incorrectly) the narrator gets called jack/john from the jack's prostate scene.

If you have not seen the movie do it now and don't touch the spoiler buttons!

I dont know if he is the best character or not, but some of the other stuff on the list, doesn't belong.

#17. Hans Gruber? come on

#18. Travis Bickle(Deniro from Taxi Driver) maybe, but I can think of 5 better roles he played

#22. Ellis Redding(Morgan Freeman in Shawshank) should be on the list, just lower

#24 Ash (Campbell from Evil Dead) no way...

#26. Ron Burgundy ditto

#29 Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day Lewis from There will be Blood)not on the list

#33 - Tequila (Chow Yun Fat from Hard Boiled) never seen this, can't imagine tho

#41 - Mary Poppins? second female on the list is Mary Poppins? Ellen Ripley was first which I also don't agree with

#45 - Amelie uhhhh who?

#56 Juno

I could go on, but I don't want to. Newman as Cool Hand Luke is not in the top 20? Doc Holiday and Kurt Russell from Tombstone should both be in the top 50. George Bailey from Its a Wonderful Life should be in the top 20. John Wayne in numerous roles should be in the top 50. Nicholson not in the top 10 for Jake or the Shining. Tom Cruise for Risky Business or Top Gun, Julia Roberts for Pretty Woman or Pelican Brief, Ed Norton and Matt Damon from Rounders, Jodie Foster for Clarice Starling, Chris Reeve as Superman. Costner for Field of Dreams or JFK, Karloff for Frankenstein, and the list could go on and on as opposed to some of the on the list. Some of these are on the list and should be higher. Some were left off completely. This is basically some list a fan boy compiled based on his favorite movies.

I had to click it as I have never heard of the guy and now I know why, never saw fight club

Well because you don't know, the first rule of fight club is, you don't talk about Fight Club! :grin:

I dont know if he is the best character or not, but some of the other stuff on the list, doesn't belong.....

#22. Ellis Redding(Morgan Freeman in Shawshank) should be on the list, just lower

#24 Ash (Campbell from Evil Dead) no way...

#26. Ron Burgundy ditto

#56 Juno

I disagree with you on all of these. I *really* like all these characters. Hell, ash is likely vying for #1 in my mind. But yes, all these lists are terrible. I mean you can't put a century of movies into a list and decide the best 100. Or at least not well enough to not of someone.

I mean hell IMDB's top list goes, shawshank, godfather 1, 2 - the dark knight.... so according to them the 4th best film of all time is the dark knight? :shrug: With star wars 12 and our own tyler durden's film number 22. Personally i think that fight club and durden are deserving of high praise and rankings in all lists.

I had to click it as I have never heard of the guy and now I know why, never saw fight club

Well because you don't know, the first rule of fight club is, you don't talk about Fight Club! :grin:

:screwy:

See the film and you'll understand the reference (thumbs u

All i should have to say to this kind of argument, is yes you're right. But my real reply is more like ' get with the times grandpa.' To me, casablanca and other such "ye olde movies" have no meaning, they're old, tired, and cinematically no matter how important, irrelevant to me in my generation.

lol, that might make a least some sense... if you killed off every single person older than you. doh!

lol, that might make a least some sense... if you killed off every single person older than you. doh!

lollol

Dur. This is about as good as empire's Top 100 Comic Characters from a while back. Whilst I appreciated seeing my namesake placed 3rd in a list of all time most important comic characters, it was blatantly absurd lol

No 3 The Joker

3rd greatest movie character?? So, more important to cinema than Charles Foster Kane, Norman Bates, James Bond, Antoine Doinel, 'Blondie' (the Good) and Sam Spade? He's not even in the top 100.

The trouble with this is, the readership for Empire magazine is above the kiddie pop line. Though if they did it on-line, I guess any ret-ard could of contributed.

Maybe some geek fan boy, pumped the Joker votes (shrug)

But, ya nothing made sense, or you 'ya, they're so right'. nadda.

My guess is that I'm not that much older than you, but I can't say I agree with you. This points to a problem with cultural literacy. If someone professes to truly be a fan of cinema, it's essential to understand the foundation that all of the following movies were built upon. Now, that doesn't mean that a modern movie can't make a significant impact at the present time, however, it also doesn't mean that knowledge is subject to the "flavor of the week" problem that we see with so many other aspects of contemporary life.

When explaining this to my college students, I like to use this example. How many of you watch "Family Guy?" Well, if you are only familiar with movies, books, and television shows from the past 10 years, then you're probably only going to understand a fraction of the jokes on that show. And if you're not able to even get the jokes on a show like "Family Guy," then what does that say about your sense of cultural awareness? Being culturally literate is like a code that allows you to better understand what's going on around you, and therefore, being culturally illiterate leaves one in the dark and out of the conversation.

"Top 100 Lists" like this are attempts (albeit poor ones) to try and redefine the canon of what makes up culture. The problem with them is that they possess a very shallow and short-sighted range of selection. If we accept lists like this as true and reasonable, over time we will essentially create a culture that is characterized by the "Flavor of the Week" with everything else being cut out of our collective conscious.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts. Feel free to take 'em or leave :foryou:

MacMan is right of course. look at our beloved comics...

without Action 1 there would be (arguably) no Tec 27. then no Showcase 4 then no FF 1, then no AF15. i could go on.

todays filmmakers do not have the opinion that all that is old is bad. its where they learned how wonderful movies are. each director is inspired by those that have gone before, right back to WDGriffith and his generation.

are we to not read any literature from before 1980 ? or any comics?

and im not a grandad im only 36 ;)