• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyler Durden????

29 posts in this topic

I suppose i should clarify. To paraphrase when i said that anything before i was born is irrelevant, i suppose i could have chosen a better word. That has all sorts of connotations of it being meaningless and worthless.

I have watched, and do watch many films that where created before my time, even so far back as metropolis which i hold as a personal favourite. What i am trying to convey is that to me, and perhaps many people my age, though certainly not all( i have friends in their early 20's who would whole heartedly disagree) Is that modern cinema is more relevant to me.

My frame of reference may well consist of movies going back 50 years, but still time and again i would not consider them to be the top movies of all time. They just don't have that same hold as a newer film, be it because of all the crazy new cinematics or the more 'modernised' stories. I suppose that when i look at many of these films, only the truly amazing older films make it into the same level as films that today would be classified really good.I suppose that this could well be that these are the kinds of films i grew up with, or at least grew up watching re-runs of on television, but hey:shrug:.

I believe that the prevailing culture changes with each generation and as time goes on, more and more older movies are going to fall off these lists as people don't relate to them.

Certainly the lists a right piece of spoon but It begs the question

What makes a character great in film? Maybe it's entertainment or just general fan following. In those regards i can see how jack sparrow might get #8, but for character depth? likely not.

On a side note, want to know where Fight Club's roots are? Go read Henry David Thoreau's essays "Life Without Principle" and "John Brown." Pretty interesting to see just how very close the story arc follows these essays. hm

And for what it's worth, I turn 29 in FEB, so no "old fogey" here ;)

On a side note, want to know where Fight Club's roots are? Go read Henry David Thoreau's essays "Life Without Principle" and "John Brown." Pretty interesting to see just how very close the story arc follows these essays. hm

Don't forget Fight Club the movie was based on a book of the same title.... :hi:

Don't forget Fight Club the movie was based on a book of the same title.... :hi:

I love recommending his other books to people who only know him from the movie adaptation. They pick up something like 'Invisible Monsters', and I get a phone call asking "WTF is this mess?! Where's the manly action?". Then I inform them that the author does indeed enjoy 'man action', but not in the way they might think. They can't believe someone who wrote Fight Club is gay. :D

I just have to chime in on this, the movie was great, but I am keeping any "spoilers" in white text, so read on if you want

spoiler

well not to be a purist or anything but that isnt Tyler Durden anyway. That is just a figment of Ed (tyler) Durdens imagination. That made Nortons character so much better anyway

just my 2c:banana:

I just have to chime in on this, the movie was great, but I am keeping any "spoilers" in white text, so read on if you want

spoiler

well not to be a purist or anything but that isnt Tyler Durden anyway. That is just a figment of Ed (tyler) Durdens imagination. That made Nortons character so much better anyway

eh? White spoiler--> Norton's character doesn't have a name... he's just 'the narrator.' For all intents and purposes brad pitt's character is tyler durden, even if it's really norton.:banana: end

spoiler

eh? White spoiler--> Norton's character doesn't have a name... he's just 'the narrator.' For all intents and purposes brad pitt's character is tyler durden, even if it's really norton.:banana: end

Cornelius :grin: