• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oil Price Hitting $33 = More Money For Comics

Will lower gas prices mean you will now spend more on comics?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Will lower gas prices mean you will now spend more on comics?

32 posts in this topic

The price of a barrel of oil hit $33, down from $147 last summer. It's down from $40 in just the last week.

Gas prices are hitting 4 year lows and will probably go even lower.

So does this mean more money to be spent on comic books?

I say: YES

$5 to $2 a gallon for Super and I've seen $2.39 for diesel (I'm in So. Cal.), this is good. The oil companies have drained so much from the economy that it's crashing and now it's time for them to make low profits. But I've seen every Chevron station around me completely remodeled from all the profits...

unfortunatly low prices arn't sustainable......it costs $50 to produce 1 barrel of oil from the Alberta oil sands (it's an expensive process), so as soon as it starts selling for less than $50 production will eventually stop up north. the states consumes about 20,700,000 barrels a day, 4,000,000 barrels of which are pumped directly from Alberta into the USA. so all of a sudden, the USA are short 4,000,000 barrels prices will shoot back up. $70 - $80 a barrel is sustainable and thats were it will stay....

....so don't be rushing out buying expensive high grade comics off Filter afterall.....

unfortunatly low prices arn't sustainable......it costs $50 to produce 1 barrel of oil from the Alberta oil sands (it's an expensive process), so as soon as it starts selling for less than $50 production will eventually stop up north. the states consumes about 20,700,000 barrels a day, 4,000,000 barrels of which are pumped directly from Alberta into the USA. so all of a sudden, the USA are short 4,000,000 barrels prices will shoot back up. $70 - $80 a barrel is sustainable and thats were it will stay....

But the coming recession/depression might wipe out a lot of demand, just as all the OPEC countries cheat on their quotas to boost sagging revenues

And the Russians pump all out to keep their economy going.

And Chavez pumps all out in Venezuela to keep his dictatorship going.

And Iraq production continues to increase as the country stabilizes.

And Brazil's huge new offshore discoveries start pumping in a few years.

And Detroit is forced to build more fuel efficient cars to get bailout money.

And Wall Street traders avoid oil futures like the plague.

In this scenario, the US does not need Alberta tar sands oil.

Oil might hit $20 before it hits $70 again.

But yes, EVENTUALLY it has to go to $70 again one year, but it might be a long time.

....so don't be rushing out buying expensive high grade comics off Filter afterall.....

Now you tell me!!!!!!!!!!! :o

:cry:

Now you tell me!!!!!!!!!!! :o

either way buddy, nice pick up!!! (thumbs u

Noticed gas prices jumped 10 cents a gallon in the last day or two around me. This is even with the 2.2 millions of barrel taken out of the oil supply via OPEC and the price of oil still dropped. This doesn't make sense to me how they could increase the price of gas as the price of oil continues to drop...

Noticed gas prices jumped 10 cents a gallon in the last day or two around me. This is even with the 2.2 millions of barrel taken out of the oil supply via OPEC and the price of oil still dropped. This doesn't make sense to me how they could increase the price of gas as the price of oil continues to drop...

Who is this "they" that is increasing the price of gas? The oil companies? You mean the same oil companies that just stood idly by as the price of crude oil plummeted $110/barrel? :doh: I hate to break it to you guys, but the market sets oil prices, not oil companies. If the market takes the price of oil to $147/bbl., that's the price the oil companies get, and if the market says "oh :censored:" and tanks crude below $40, well, that's the price they get too.

Here's a post I made in another forum which I hope will clarify what is *actually* going on in the energy market instead of the lies and misinformation that people take for granted as the "truth":

The oil majors and refiners are getting absolutely raked over the coals now [in gasoline refining]. Refining margins have been negative for most of the past few months. They are losing $$$ on each barrel of crude oil that they are refining - gasoline prices should be much higher than they are now.

Even when gasoline prices were at their highs a few months ago, they should have been even higher - refining has been a breakeven or money-losing proposition for most of this year. Almost all of the profits the oil companies have made this year have been made from upstream (exploration & production) operations.

The moral of the story is that the market sets prices, not oil companies. They have been struggling with unprofitable refining margins all year and have been powerless to stop a $100+/barrel slide in the price of crude oil. The truth is, these companies don't have any say in setting prices, let alone being able to price gouge.

rantrant