• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Sellers to Avoid...

159 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, This forum has been a huge help to myself and many other board members when it comes to checking out sellers on eBay. I almost always run a search on this forum before getting involved with any seller that I am unfamiliar with who sets off my spidey-sense. While this is a great resource, I think it could be better. What I am proposing is that I maintain a thread of eBay sellers that are verified scammers. I will continually update this first post with the list and anyone that wants can reply and leave details of any perpetrator not already in the list. Please don't use this to vent on a seller just because you disagree with their grading, packaging, communication, etc.. as it will quickly get out of hand. I'll start with a couple that I am already aware of.

1 - ROBOJO33: Undisclosed Resto, Overgrader, Slab Cracker, etc...

2 - makemeanofferandwin: Buys PLODs or lowgrade slabs off comiclink, cracks them and sells them as higher grade unrestored.

Details...

Buyer Account (where many of these books come from):

aram321

3 - 19Jack76: Grade Bump Flipper (GBF New term?). formerly ssteve1011. Don't let his high positive feedback fool you, he is a mad overgrader.

Details...

4 - acoro55555, gam7777777: Known scammer Wilhelm Uthe

Details...

5 - Gio72 : Slab swapper. Cracks slabs of high grade books, replaces with a low grade copy and reseals.

6 - Superstarcomics7: Chronic over-grader. Butcherer of the English Language.

Details...

7 - popscomicbooks: Chronic over-grader.

Details...

Well, I'd have to read the thread links I provided to remember the details but he's a bad news Ebayer from Europe from what I remember. Avoid at all costs is what the mental note says.

(shrug)

Here's a thread about ssteve1011 He buys stuff on eBay and almost immediately puts it back up for sale...with a 3 or 4 grade (or more) bump!

He also doesn't bother using his own pics...he just copies the ones from the auctions he wins. Here is a link to his feedback: http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=ssteve1011&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

Check out his buying and selling history...lots of lovely "upgraded" sells including plenty of cracked out slabs, even PLOD's that become unrestored raw copies.

I won an item from makemeanofferandwin before I knew he should be avoided. I got an Avengers #4 that was advertised as mid-grade unrestored book. He accepted what I thought was a lowball bid. You get what you pay for, I guess. I posted my winnings in the PGM section of these boards so I could get consensus on what the actual grade would be. It was closer to a 1.5-2.0 with very probably color touch. I told him of my dissatisfaction and even provided links to the PGM thread. He sticks to his given grades and wouldn't give a full refund, but he did give me a partial refund. A small loss, but a loss nonetheless. Small price to pay for a lesson learned.

If anyone's interested in buying a low-grade reader/filler copy of Avengers #4, shoot me a PM.

Gio72 is a known scammer's Ebay handle. Paul Candela was involved and is known to crack slabs of hi end books and replace them with lower grade copies.

If you do a search for these two names you'll see a lot of history behind them.

R.

Gio72 is a known scammer's Ebay handle. Paul Candela was involved and is known to crack slabs of hi end books and replace them with lower grade copies.

R.

Thanks (thumbs u he's added.

R.

Thanks (thumbs u he's added.

...forgot to mention....then he sells the freshly liberated copies as raw, overgraded books.

Another name to mention is Greg Jortner. He is currently involved in several law suits for committing or being involved in fraudulant acts. He has been known to have associated with Silver Age Comics (that is their Ebay name as well) in New York and although SAC says they have nothing to do with him any more he has been recently involved in lots of things that went sour...even among some long time board members.

R.

This definately should be a sticky to help people to avoid getting rip-off in the future,.

especially the newcomers,We want to make the newcomers to this hobby trust us and feel welcome.

Does anyone know how to have a thread stickied? I'm assuming the mods will perform this action if they deem it worthy...

As the list grows, this thread should be stickied. What about the eBay seller associated with PGX (ie., selling the 9.9 Blazing Comics double covers)?

You are thinking of sbjstuff.He also uses nobodysspendingfool,nwcomics,bidsatnite and a few others.

The few others include ma4pres, ponytailedblunder and another name that escapes me now....

Does anyone know how to have a thread stickied? I'm assuming the mods will perform this action if they deem it worthy...

1) Try PMing one of the mods.

2) It’s not likely to be stickied. CGC would be opening themselves up to a heapin’ helpin’ of problems by emblazoning their popular and well-known chat board with a one-sided list badmouthing ebay sellers, even if the sellers deserve it.