• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ready to take the plunge ...

7 posts in this topic

Got back into collecting a year ago after a 25-year absence ... been feeling my way through, filling up a trio of long boxes off eBay, my local shop, a local half-price book store and summer flea markets ... have yet to by a graded book.

I'm ready to take the plunge and begin buying Bronze Age graded books after paying the holiday bills and my recent bulk comic purchase from a friend. Right now, I'm buying Silver in VG and Fine (if price is right) for my reading and sale way down the line when I'm retired and working flea markets from my van.

My question: Will the obsession with 9.4 CGC books and above stay? I'm expecting to spend $75 every two weeks on one book -- or $150 per month on one book -- and think I will target 9.0 and 9.2 books. They seem the best deal right now and have a healthy upside in the next decade.

Make sense?

Also, I'm considering buying the right CGG and 3PG books as a flyer. Any thoughts there as well? Thanks in advance ...

My question: Will the obsession with 9.4 CGC books and above stay? I'm expecting to spend $75 every two weeks on one book -- or $150 per month on one book -- and think I will target 9.0 and 9.2 books.

The obsession with 9.4 and above will stay, yes, although prices will go down once supply goes up. What titles/issues are you thinking about buying?

I notice everyone on these boards generally hold preferences close to the vest, but what the heck ... it's actually still fuzzy tongue.gif

I have to admit, I'm looking at buying graded books first as art -- I'm building my "cave" in the basement with room to show comics on the wall -- and then as an investment for later resale. I'm still buying low-grade reader copies of just about everything in silver an bronze to get a handle on what I like that I don't already know about.

Looking at the list I've started next to my computer it's mostly Daredevil keys -- with 158 leading that pack. I'm also learning the cool covers as I go focusing on Iron Man, Jonah Hex, and early Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Marvel Team Up right off the top of my head.

I'm still fine tuning my tastes.

Buy what you like. Don't even use the word investment. Assume you are going to lose the $150 a month (don't spend what you can't afford to lose). Build that cave and enjoy.

Investment advice is fraught with danger and BA books are particularly at risk.

I notice everyone on these boards generally hold preferences close to the vest, but what the heck ... it's actually still fuzzy

You actually answered your own comment there! It IS still fuzzy! grin.gif

Mushroom said it quite well! Buy what you like. Don't even use the word investment. Assume you are going to lose the $150 a month (don't spend what you can't afford to lose). Build that cave and enjoy.

Enjoy indeed! thumbsup2.gif

I take it as art and a great example of American history. I'm also slowly getting back into the hobby and Silver Age books tend to be more my target.

Ill make no claims of being an economic genius and I am probably the furthest thing from an expert of the hobby. However, my life has be enriched with collections (of many types of items) and I have my own approach which I consider common sense.

As I see many mention already, I understand that I am a collector. The comics I seek are for personal enjoyment and admiration. The price I pay for them is only for that. Even if I do not overpay for an item, the chances of it increasing in value depends on a lot of luck that is in no way really predictable.

When it comes to buying CGC or any other “slabed” book, I see it as unwise if loss is my concern. Don’t get me wrong, though. I think the CGC provides a wonderful service and I can’t wait to send my first books in. It is just that the way the prices of already slabed books are going now sets of many alarms for me.

It appears to me that too much money is being placed on that tag and chunk of plastic. It is almost like people are more interested in it than book inside. The price difference between a raw and slabbed book of the same grade does not add up to me. Not that there is anything wrong with that. People collect whatever they want and should spend their money however they see fit. But as a long term investment? My intuition says no.

The main reason is that a raw books obviously are in limited number. As time goes by, more will probably end up being professionally graded adding more slabed books to the market. I believe that graded books will always carry a premium over raw, but as time goes by they will come closer to the cost of raw books. Those who paid 50% or more for their slabed copies will be at a loss.

As for raw Silver Age (and some bronze) books, I think they are completely safe as long as you buy smart. My belief is that they will have a very small increase in value until the day interest in comics no longer exists or they self-destruct (whichever comes first).

Like I said, this is how I think and I am sure many will say “Well, Duhhh!”. Some might totally disagree with my thoughts of CGC copies, but I believe they are more dependent on luck than I am.

No "Duh!" for you on that above post, freiherr. That sounds like a very well thought out and reasonable argument you presented there.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now, hurry up and go buy as many slabbed Hulk 181's and X-Men 94's as you can, as they can't miss. They'll go up forever!!!!! insane.gifinsane.gifboo.gif