• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the next Key book to go through the roof?

131 posts in this topic

nooooo, everyone is to stay away from showcase 4. It's relatively cheap and nobody wants it so i just might be able to afford a nice copy. Keep up the stigmatism associated with it people, the book is cursed, it smells bad, it causes cancer!

Can someone explain to me why Adams' books are so wanted, or why HE is in general? I'm not being an anti Adams here, i honestly don't know.

For me, he is THE definitive Batman artist. Look at the covers on Detective and Batman before he arrives and then look at his covers - difference is night/day! He brought back the dark to the dark knight and made him less comical. My view is that his work is consistently well done with attention to detail that has the right blend of composition and complexity. It fits the medium (comics), but is also mature. In other words, he's no hack churning out covers. Compare this to Mike Grell, who is a great artist (also no hack), but not consistently so. Also, it helps that Neal got to do work on some of the most popular titles of the time.

If you get a chance, go the the Adam's appreciation thread in the Bronze Forum - just don't drool too much looking at Dover's 9.6's.

One of his most lasting acheivments was putting the Dark in Dark Knight.

Neal Adams also took perspective and foreshortening to new heights that has rarely been equaled since.

Look at the way he does hands, heights and landscapes. The guy didn't push the envelope, he created a new one.

He not only drew like nobody else but also fought for artist's rights to retain their work and revolutionized way the industry recognized artists. Much of his work in the 60's and 70's still provides a foundation for the industry today.

R.

Rumor has it.....and this is not a joke....he has artwork in the Louvre. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

nooooo, everyone is to stay away from showcase 4. It's relatively cheap and nobody wants it so i just might be able to afford a nice copy. Keep up the stigmatism associated with it people, the book is cursed, it smells bad, it causes cancer!

Can someone explain to me why Adams' books are so wanted, or why HE is in general? I'm not being an anti Adams here, i honestly don't know.

For me, he is THE definitive Batman artist. Look at the covers on Detective and Batman before he arrives and then look at his covers - difference is night/day! He brought back the dark to the dark knight and made him less comical. My view is that his work is consistently well done with attention to detail that has the right blend of composition and complexity. It fits the medium (comics), but is also mature. In other words, he's no hack churning out covers. Compare this to Mike Grell, who is a great artist (also no hack), but not consistently so. Also, it helps that Neal got to do work on some of the most popular titles of the time.

If you get a chance, go the the Adam's appreciation thread in the Bronze Forum - just don't drool too much looking at Dover's 9.6's.

One of his most lasting acheivments was putting the Dark in Dark Knight.

Neal Adams also took perspective and foreshortening to new heights that has rarely been equaled since.

Look at the way he does hands, heights and landscapes. The guy didn't push the envelope, he created a new one.

He not only drew like nobody else but also fought for artist's rights to retain their work and revolutionized way the industry recognized artists. Much of his work in the 60's and 70's still provides a foundation for the industry today.

R.

Agreed. His work on Batman actually led to an entire reconstructing of the art and story telling in DC comics making it more serious and capable of rivaling Marvel. Adams Batman started it all, and you still see his Batman in the modern run.

With AF 15 almost untouchable now in high grade, whats the next first appearance to Key issue to take off. Will it be a GA, SA, ect, ect...?

any ideas?

I think that AF 15 is too common to stay at the levels it is currently at. Of course, I have been wrong before...

I don't think that there are any Silver Age keys that are going to go "through the roof." As with the AF 15, they are all far too common to fall into the supply/demand routine. The books I think have a chance at taking off are All Star 8, as it has been a dead book for more than a decade. Superman 1 still has room to grow, especially since Action 1 is out of reach of all except the whales. And of course, it is Superman number 1, which resonates with a lot of non-comic book types. Action 7 will continue to boom, as will Tec 31 and 35. Beyond that, I think most keys have reached idol status, and won't be going much farther in price for a long time.

With AF 15 almost untouchable now in high grade, whats the next first appearance to Key issue to take off. Will it be a GA, SA, ect, ect...?

any ideas?

I think that AF 15 is too common to stay at the levels it is currently at. Of course, I have been wrong before...

I don't think that there are any Silver Age keys that are going to go "through the roof." As with the AF 15, they are all far too common to fall into the supply/demand routine. The books I think have a chance at taking off are All Star 8, as it has been a dead book for more than a decade. Superman 1 still has room to grow, especially since Action 1 is out of reach of all except the whales. And of course, it is Superman number 1, which resonates with a lot of non-comic book types. Action 7 will continue to boom, as will Tec 31 and 35. Beyond that, I think most keys have reached idol status, and won't be going much farther in price for a long time.

I can't speak about AS 8, but being a bottom-feeder, I'd have to argue with your suggestion about Superman 1 being available to the "non-whale" collector ;) I've seen single wraps from that book go for a pretty penny, let alone the entire book. Supes 1 and Batman 1 are right alongside their higher end counterparts (Action 1 and Tec 27) as unattainable. Heck! I think the absolute buzz surrounding 31 has pretty much put it out of reach for most of us small fries.

But again, I'm approaching this as a budget-oriented collector with a limited budget and I'm certainly not representative of all. I do agree though that this is certainly one of those MUST have mega-books!

hm I'm not decided about SA DC keys. There will always be a market for them, I'm sure, but I don't know if they will ever go truly blue chip. I'm not saying they won't--just that I really don't know if they will or not.

IF I was going to put some money into SA DC keys, there are three that I would aim for:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold 28

3. Batman 121

The first two would simply go towards satisfying the investor/ key hunter in me but no real emotional connection to them. The Batman 121, however, is the first appearance of a major Batman villain so this would meet both my need to hunt keys AND collect books that I have a personal interest in collecting.

Batman 121 in HG is generally a make up your own price in HG (over 8.0)

B&B 28 in 8.0 or better is blue chip for sure.

Showcase 4 begins the SA and one of DC's greatest heros Barry Allen.

Roy NAILED it again! SA DC in HG is very difficult to collect, and is getting more and more action as Marvel collectors complete runs, or can no longer stay in the HG game. My money always goes to SA DC over Marvel except Marvel Keys which are always very easy to sell when the cash may be needed.

So what you really mean then is I nailed it with my list?-) :baiting:

Look, if I ever found a low grade copy of Showcase 4 under four figures, chances are pretty good that I'll take a swipe at it. However, I can't help but think that the money could be better spent on some Marvel SA keys :grin: It's just how I roll. ;)

hm I'm not decided about SA DC keys. There will always be a market for them, I'm sure, but I don't know if they will ever go truly blue chip. I'm not saying they won't--just that I really don't know if they will or not.

IF I was going to put some money into SA DC keys, there are three that I would aim for:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold 28

3. Batman 121

The first two would simply go towards satisfying the investor/ key hunter in me but no real emotional connection to them. The Batman 121, however, is the first appearance of a major Batman villain so this would meet both my need to hunt keys AND collect books that I have a personal interest in collecting.

Batman 121 in HG is generally a make up your own price in HG (over 8.0)

B&B 28 in 8.0 or better is blue chip for sure.

Showcase 4 begins the SA and one of DC's greatest heros Barry Allen.

Roy NAILED it again! SA DC in HG is very difficult to collect, and is getting more and more action as Marvel collectors complete runs, or can no longer stay in the HG game. My money always goes to SA DC over Marvel except Marvel Keys which are always very easy to sell when the cash may be needed.

So what you really mean then is I nailed it with my list?-) :baiting:

Look, if I ever found a low grade copy of Showcase 4 under four figures, chances are pretty good that I'll take a swipe at it. However, I can't help but think that the money could be better spent on some Marvel SA keys :grin: It's just how I roll. ;)

The trick with DC is this. Low grade SA DC is 99.999999% of the time worthless. But the HG copies COMMAND money. So you really need to commit in order to have any real sort of investment potential.

I am going to stick with JIM 83....first appearance....movie coming out...should be good :wishluck:

I dunno... I kind of agree with Collin (Comicdey). I would have pegged JIM 83 to go the way of the dodo. With the movie, however, I think there's a chance for this movie to bring this book back to light. If the movie is a stinker... well, back to being another cheap SA Marvel key.

Yeah...that's the snag for me. I haven't even committed to high grade Marvel keys that are near and dear to my heart. Still, those 3 books I've listed have always sold whenever I've seen them priced either 1. at grade or 2. near grade (whether up or down).

But I have too many other goals to reach before going after SA DC books.

I dunno... not much appeal for SA DC. Now GA DC, that's a different story altogether! A lot of the storylines just don't work for me in that era. I'm a Bats fan though, and if you look at SA DC, you're looking at a print version of the tv show. meh

I sort of think Flash and Green Lantern could take a reasonable climb. Both titles have good artwork, good stories, and relative to the counterparts in the marvel universe, are reasonably affordable. Look at CLINK and you will see a Green Lantern 1 in 6.0 sold for less than $800. Not too bad.

I sort of think Flash and Green Lantern could take a reasonable climb. Both titles have good artwork, good stories, and relative to the counterparts in the marvel universe, are reasonably affordable. Look at CLINK and you will see a Green Lantern 1 in 6.0 sold for less than $800. Not too bad.

Green Lantern movie is supposed to be next on the horizon no ?