• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the next Key book to go through the roof?

131 posts in this topic

hm I'm not decided about SA DC keys. There will always be a market for them, I'm sure, but I don't know if they will ever go truly blue chip. I'm not saying they won't--just that I really don't know if they will or not.

IF I was going to put some money into SA DC keys, there are three that I would aim for:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold 28

3. Batman 121

The first two would simply go towards satisfying the investor/ key hunter in me but no real emotional connection to them. The Batman 121, however, is the first appearance of a major Batman villain so this would meet both my need to hunt keys AND collect books that I have a personal interest in collecting.

How was the market reaction to the first Hulk movie, Ang Lee's version? I assume there was somewhat of a bump due to anticipation prior to release, did the poor reception the film got hurt it at all?

Hulk 1 would not bump from the movie, so much as it being a sleeper. It isnt a very high valued key in guide (compared to others) but fetches nice prices, and generally over guide. Expect this one to continue building. Also TOS 39 has been slowly picking up, as it is still undervalued IMO. And JIM 83 has been getting a boost also, as this book hasnt been extrememly popular. But JIM 83 should be a contendor to take seriously as a very positive investment.

Brave and the Bold 28

What makes Brave and the Bold 28 stand out? Some of us newer folks are not are not aware of what makes some of these books listed popular.

First appearance of the JLA....it also has an icon cover and a possible movie in the future.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the follow up. That cover is really cool so thanks for posting that as well. I will have to look into what the Brave and the Bold books were all about. If this is the first appearance of the JLA then was Brave and the Bold number one just a collection of different hero stories? What did #1 story consist off? Never have been a huge DC fan.

BB # 1-24 are very cool and have the continuing adventures of Viking Prince,Silent Knight, and Robin hood. They are difficult to find in Fine condition or better. After that the title became a try-out book for new features for a couple years and then became a Batman team up title much like Marvel Team Up. The SA Hawkman try outs by Joe Kubert ( 34-36,42-44) are some of my favorite comics of ALL TIME. GOD BLESS...

Cool thanks for the info. If anyone has more of the earlier covers for the BB that would be nice to see. I can honestly say I have never read a Brave and the Bold comic but I am intrigued by the Robin hood stories. What issues focused on him? or were there stories in 1-24 about all three characters?

BB # 1-24 are very cool and have the continuing adventures of Viking Prince,Silent Knight, and Robin hood. They are difficult to find in Fine condition or better. After that the title became a try-out book for new features for a couple years and then became a Batman team up title much like Marvel Team Up. The SA Hawkman try outs by Joe Kubert ( 34-36,42-44) are some of my favorite comics of ALL TIME. GOD BLESS...

Very cool covers on these B & B's, IMHO.

scan0001-1.jpg

hm I'm not decided about SA DC keys. There will always be a market for them, I'm sure, but I don't know if they will ever go truly blue chip. I'm not saying they won't--just that I really don't know if they will or not.

IF I was going to put some money into SA DC keys, there are three that I would aim for:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold 28

3. Batman 121

The first two would simply go towards satisfying the investor/ key hunter in me but no real emotional connection to them. The Batman 121, however, is the first appearance of a major Batman villain so this would meet both my need to hunt keys AND collect books that I have a personal interest in collecting.

Batman 121 in HG is generally a make up your own price in HG (over 8.0)

B&B 28 in 8.0 or better is blue chip for sure.

Showcase 4 begins the SA and one of DC's greatest heros Barry Allen.

Roy NAILED it again! SA DC in HG is very difficult to collect, and is getting more and more action as Marvel collectors complete runs, or can no longer stay in the HG game. My money always goes to SA DC over Marvel except Marvel Keys which are always very easy to sell when the cash may be needed.

What's amazing is that if you can find 9.2/9.4 DC's superhero books from the late 50's or early 60's (like Action or Detectives) you can find them for the same price as some 9.8 moderns or 9.6 bronze...and yet your SA DC is likely going to be the lone high grade copy whearas you can have 20-50 copies of the bronze/modern Marvels.

If you can find late 1940's - mid 1950's DC's in higher grades (9.0-9.4) you can also buy them at a very decent price.

R.

Well..

With Detectives the 9.0 and up books pre-300 bring some big dollars (upwards of 500) where as the issues in the 100's (early silver) can bring in the thousands. Also there are many early DC's in this era which 7.0 is the highest graded copies. Making the general 9.4 Uber HG collecting impossible.

Brave and the Bold 28

What makes Brave and the Bold 28 stand out? Some of us newer folks are not are not aware of what makes some of these books listed popular.

First appearance of the JLA....it also has an icon cover and a possible movie in the future.GOD BLESS...

Thanks for the follow up. That cover is really cool so thanks for posting that as well. I will have to look into what the Brave and the Bold books were all about. If this is the first appearance of the JLA then was Brave and the Bold number one just a collection of different hero stories? What did #1 story consist off? Never have been a huge DC fan.

Cool thanks for the info. If anyone has more of the earlier covers for the BB that would be nice to see. I can honestly say I have never read a Brave and the Bold comic but I am intrigued by the Robin hood stories. What issues focused on him? or were there stories in 1-24 about all three characters?

To see covers of many of the BB's go to www.metropoliscomics.com and do a search for Brave and the Bold....they have cover scans up and many of the books for sale. If you go to the CGC Wanted to Buy forum you could probably pick up a low grade reader to try it out. I love 'em. GOD BLESS...

This site is dedicated to DC comics. Here's a link to B & B with covers.

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/series-details.php?seriesid=509

:headbang: sweet link

Brave and the Bold 28

To see covers of many of the BB's go to www.metropoliscomics.com and do a search for Brave and the Bold....they have cover scans up and many of the books for sale. If you go to the CGC Wanted to Buy forum you could probably pick up a low grade reader to try it out. I love 'em. GOD BLESS...

Cool thanks for the link...

The market seems very soft on early B & B and Showcases right now. I can remember when they were the bomb and everybody wanted them. If DC ever agrees to a Flash, Green Lantern, JLA or Hawkman movie they would likely sky rocket.

I am not a collector or anything but I have noticed that B & B are very cheap these days. Also, I was finally able to pick up Nightmaster's Showcase appearances in 82 - 84 for not too much money.

Brave and the Bold 28

Another great cover site.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/

Brave and the Bold 28

The Grand Comic Book Database at www.comics.org is a good place to see galleries.

Woohoo more links...Thank you.

I read the Batman year one 4 part series and really like that but I have read through the All Star Batman and Robin Stuff since the #10 got so much hype from the recall and I was not really to excited by it. I may have to go and grab up some reader copies of the Brave and the Bold early stuff to try it out.

nooooo, everyone is to stay away from showcase 4. It's relatively cheap and nobody wants it so i just might be able to afford a nice copy. Keep up the stigmatism associated with it people, the book is cursed, it smells bad, it causes cancer!

Can someone explain to me why Adams' books are so wanted, or why HE is in general? I'm not being an anti Adams here, i honestly don't know.

For me, he is THE definitive Batman artist. Look at the covers on Detective and Batman before he arrives and then look at his covers - difference is night/day! He brought back the dark to the dark knight and made him less comical. My view is that his work is consistently well done with attention to detail that has the right blend of composition and complexity. It fits the medium (comics), but is also mature. In other words, he's no hack churning out covers. Compare this to Mike Grell, who is a great artist (also no hack), but not consistently so. Also, it helps that Neal got to do work on some of the most popular titles of the time.

If you get a chance, go the the Adam's appreciation thread in the Bronze Forum - just don't drool too much looking at Dover's 9.6's.

nooooo, everyone is to stay away from showcase 4. It's relatively cheap and nobody wants it so i just might be able to afford a nice copy. Keep up the stigmatism associated with it people, the book is cursed, it smells bad, it causes cancer!

Can someone explain to me why Adams' books are so wanted, or why HE is in general? I'm not being an anti Adams here, i honestly don't know.

For me, he is THE definitive Batman artist. Look at the covers on Detective and Batman before he arrives and then look at his covers - difference is night/day! He brought back the dark to the dark knight and made him less comical. My view is that his work is consistently well done with attention to detail that has the right blend of composition and complexity. It fits the medium (comics), but is also mature. In other words, he's no hack churning out covers. Compare this to Mike Grell, who is a great artist (also no hack), but not consistently so. Also, it helps that Neal got to do work on some of the most popular titles of the time.

If you get a chance, go the the Adam's appreciation thread in the Bronze Forum - just don't drool too much looking at Dover's 9.6's.

One of his most lasting acheivments was putting the Dark in Dark Knight.

Neal Adams also took perspective and foreshortening to new heights that has rarely been equaled since.

Look at the way he does hands, heights and landscapes. The guy didn't push the envelope, he created a new one.

He not only drew like nobody else but also fought for artist's rights to retain their work and revolutionized way the industry recognized artists. Much of his work in the 60's and 70's still provides a foundation for the industry today.

R.