• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the next Key book to go through the roof?

131 posts in this topic

Look at CLINK and you will see a Green Lantern 1 in 6.0 sold for less than $800. Not too bad.

Might have something to do with the fact that it has a freakin puppet on the cover. :P

:roflmao:

It is one of the worst covers of all time, true.

nooooo, everyone is to stay away from showcase 4. It's relatively cheap and nobody wants it so i just might be able to afford a nice copy. Keep up the stigmatism associated with it people, the book is cursed, it smells bad, it causes cancer!

Can someone explain to me why Adams' books are so wanted, or why HE is in general? I'm not being an anti Adams here, i honestly don't know.

For me, he is THE definitive Batman artist. Look at the covers on Detective and Batman before he arrives and then look at his covers - difference is night/day! He brought back the dark to the dark knight and made him less comical. My view is that his work is consistently well done with attention to detail that has the right blend of composition and complexity. It fits the medium (comics), but is also mature. In other words, he's no hack churning out covers. Compare this to Mike Grell, who is a great artist (also no hack), but not consistently so. Also, it helps that Neal got to do work on some of the most popular titles of the time.

If you get a chance, go the the Adam's appreciation thread in the Bronze Forum - just don't drool too much looking at Dover's 9.6's.

He's not just the definitive batman artist, he's the definitive silver/bronze DC artist, period.

For my money he's even the definitive bronze age artist, period, for any publisher. (I'd even go so far as to call him the definitive DC artist, period, although there I know some would say I'm going too far).

Whatever you call him, his influence can't be understated. DC before and DC after Neal are two completely different animals.

Look at CLINK and you will see a Green Lantern 1 in 6.0 sold for less than $800. Not too bad.

Might have something to do with the fact that it has a freakin puppet on the cover. :P

I dunno, I always thought it was nicely drawn. I've seen a lot worse both in SA and modern books (shrug)

Happy New Year all!!!

Surprised to read this thread and find no-one has mentioned All Star Western #10.

Key book, very hard to find in anything like decent condition, lots of movie buzz and a character with real "crossover" potential in the mainstream pop culture market, given that it is a non-superhero funny book character.

My 12c

I dunno, I always thought it was nicely drawn. I've seen a lot worse both in SA and modern books (shrug)

It's not that it's poorly drawn that makes it horrible. The draftsmanship is just fine (Gil Kane right?). It is just a really bad cover.

Happy New Year all!!!

Surprised to read this thread and find no-one has mentioned All Star Western #10.

Key book, very hard to find in anything like decent condition, lots of movie buzz and a character with real "crossover" potential in the mainstream pop culture market, given that it is a non-superhero funny book character.

My 12c

If I had to choose a book, All Star Western #10 would be my choice. However, I think that Copper Age keys will have a big year in 2009.

Why is All-Star Western #10 so hot all of a sudden? I had just decided to make Jonah Hex a focus of collecting in 2009 (because I've always liked the character), but may put it on the back burner if it's a title people are 'investing' in. I was under the impression JH books were fairly plentiful in decent/HG.

Why is All-Star Western #10 so hot all of a sudden? I had just decided to make Jonah Hex a focus of collecting in 2009 (because I've always liked the character), but may put it on the back burner if it's a title people are 'investing' in. I was under the impression JH books were fairly plentiful in decent/HG.

Do it. They will never be any cheaper. Why?

First appearance of JH is an a late bronze book, the tail end of a western title. These books were not collected/hoarded at the time by fanboys (like me). The books were bought and read to death, not carefully selected from the newsstands and stored in ideal conditions.

Like Topsy, the character just grew, slowly developed a fan base and as that grew, so did the demand for back issues. I asked every dealer at the SD 2000 convention if they had ASW 10. Most did not know what I was talking about, those that did, did not have one. Two years later got a great one from Harley via the missus.

The stories, set in the old American west (that "Hex" series doesn't count) are timeless. They can be read and enjoyed 30 years after publishing as much as the day they were printed - unlike a whole heap of superhero books.

First appearance of JH is an a late bronze book, the tail end of a western title. These books were not collected/hoarded at the time by fanboys (like me). The books were bought and read to death, not carefully selected from the newsstands and stored in ideal conditions.

Like Topsy, the character just grew, slowly developed a fan base and as that grew, so did the demand for back issues. I asked every dealer at the SD 2000 convention if they had ASW 10. Most did not know what I was talking about, those that did, did not have one. Two years later got a great one from Harley via the missus.

The stories, set in the old American west (that "Hex" series doesn't count) are timeless. They can be read and enjoyed 30 years after publishing as much as the day they were printed - unlike a whole heap of superhero books.

....and they're still cheap,except for ASW 10...get it first and the rest will be smooth sailing.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

all VERY good reasons (thumbs u

Brave and the Bold 28

What makes Brave and the Bold 28 stand out? Some of us newer folks are not are not aware of what makes some of these books listed popular.

First appearance of the JLA....it also has an icon cover and a possible movie in the future.GOD BLESS...

Thanks for the follow up. That cover is really cool so thanks for posting that as well. I will have to look into what the Brave and the Bold books were all about. If this is the first appearance of the JLA then was Brave and the Bold number one just a collection of different hero stories? What did #1 story consist off? Never have been a huge DC fan.

BB # 1-24 are very cool and have the continuing adventures of Viking Prince,Silent Knight, and Robin hood. They are difficult to find in Fine condition or better. After that the title became a try-out book for new features for a couple years and then became a Batman team up title much like Marvel Team Up. The SA Hawkman try outs by Joe Kubert ( 34-36,42-44) are some of my favorite comics of ALL TIME. GOD BLESS...

Those Viking Prince stories had some great artwork by kubert.Classic stuff.In my opinion some of his best

The market seems very soft on early B & B and Showcases right now.

We must have very different definitions of "soft". A 9.2 copy of B&B 28 recently sold for over $30K, plus 9.4 and higher copies of the 1st two Teen Titans appearances went for insane money. And a 9.4 Showcase 4 went for $160K.

If these prices are evidence of a soft market, I`d hate to see what a hot market would look like!

Thanks for the follow up. That cover is really cool so thanks for posting that as well. I will have to look into what the Brave and the Bold books were all about. If this is the first appearance of the JLA then was Brave and the Bold number one just a collection of different hero stories? What did #1 story consist off? Never have been a huge DC fan.

Just check out the "10 cent" thread in the SA forum, and you`ll see what the pre-hero and post-hero B&Bs were all about.