• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite quote from a comic?

137 posts in this topic

'I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me'.

Rorschach - Watchmen

I was gonna say that!

But also from Watchmen:

There don't seem to be so lany laughts around these days.

Well what do you expect? The Comedian is dead.

I know it isn't a comic, but Raimi has been quoted in the past how it had comic-influences, and later became a comic series. Army of Darkness - an amazingly funny movie. Even better, some great one-liners.

-----------------------

Ash: Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

-----------------------

Ash: Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

-----------------------

Duke Henry: You Sir, are not one of my vassals... who are you?

Ash: Who wants to know?

Duke Henry: I am Henry the Red. Duke of Shale, Lord of the Northlands and leader of its peoples.

Ash: Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and ****... and Jack left town.

-----------------------

[sheila wants to apologize to Ash]

Ash: First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow.

-----------------------

Sheila: But what of all those sweet words you spoke in private?

Ash: Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all.

-----------------------

The other movie with amazing lines is "The Big Lebowski," but no comic influence that would lead to it going on this thread.

My favourite quote of all comes from the joker, because i have always loved his humour and i was happy to find someone else had put this on the internets for me in a joker appreciation thread:

261602-464-joker_medium.jpg

Why would he load a gun with that?! i dont know but i still love his crazy.

"Burn." - Superman Annual 11. Within the scene, that one word carries an incredible amount of weight.

What was the scene??

This synopsis explains it better than I ever could.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/pre-crisis-reviews/pre-crisis-mmrs-intro.php?topic=c-review-pc-sa11

Here's the relevant passage.

"Do you understand what you did to me?" Superman asks. "Perfectly," whispers Mongul, smashing Superman through the ceiling into a room filled with alien beasts. Grabbing Superman by the neck, Mongul pronounces gleefully, "Happy birthday, Kryptonian. I give you... oblivion." Superman's eyes glow red. "Burn," whispers Superman, and flames shoot from his eyes. His heat vision sears Mongul's flesh and the yellow giant screams in pain.

"Burn." - Superman Annual 11. Within the scene, that one word carries an incredible amount of weight.

What was the scene??

This synopsis explains it better than I ever could.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/pre-crisis-reviews/pre-crisis-mmrs-intro.php?topic=c-review-pc-sa11

Here's the relevant passage.

"Do you understand what you did to me?" Superman asks. "Perfectly," whispers Mongul, smashing Superman through the ceiling into a room filled with alien beasts. Grabbing Superman by the neck, Mongul pronounces gleefully, "Happy birthday, Kryptonian. I give you... oblivion." Superman's eyes glow red. "Burn," whispers Superman, and flames shoot from his eyes. His heat vision sears Mongul's flesh and the yellow giant screams in pain.

That exact scene ( "i give you oblivion - burn") is repeated in the JLA animated series for supes birthday! (consequently the ep is named for the man who has everything...)

So THATS where it comes from....

side note that series is surprisingly awesome and contains a remarkable number of comic references/rip offs, the more of which i pick up the more i read...

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Shark, where did that start as it has been used a few times in comics? Superman?

Thanks

It's a quote from Spider-Man but I don't know whether it was first used in Amazing Fantasy #15 or one of the regular Spidey issues. And I'm too lazy to look it up. (shrug)

Shark, where did that start as it has been used a few times in comics? Superman?

Thanks

doh!

Only the single most famous line in the history of comics, thanks to Stan Lee and delivered by Spidey in Amazing Fantasy #15............1962.

Found it!

The actual line is "WITH GREAT POWER THERE MUST ALSO COME - GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!"

Thanks folks for the quote education

What about if you only had good or decent power...how much responsibility then? (shrug):grin:

Oh, then it is "Do unto others - or to the best of your abilities."

Wow, doing a quick search of the original quote, there are whole articles on the topic which shows how powerful a statement it is. I guess Stan Lee hinted it came from a Bible quote as he would reflect back to this for ideas.

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

Interesting!

Thanks

doh!

Only the single most famous line in the history of comics, thanks to Stan Lee and delivered by Spidey in Amazing Fantasy #15............1962.

This appears to be based on a quote from some guy named Jesus Christ:

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

Luke 12:48

Edit: Looks like Bosco responded while I was looking it up :)