• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ze-man To the Rescue!! Black Terror #10

21 posts in this topic

Hello one and all... :hi:

Most of you know Ze-man, aka Kenny, on these boards.. After reading some threads and seeing the work Kenny has done on other books, I decided to PM him some questions about restoration. I have a Black Terror #10 that was probably in 1.5-1.8 condition. It still had nice eye appeal, so I did not care about the grade, but it had 3 pieces of grimy tape that I wanted to remove. After exchanging many PMs, Kenny decided to take my book on as a small project before he officially joined Matt's stellar team.

The job is almost done, but Kenny was kind of enough to send me some photos to keep me updated of the progress made. And I am here to tell you that the work done is simply AMAZING!! I plan on keeping this book for a very long time, and I could not be happier with the results thus

far.

Besides the 3 pieces of tape on the cover, this book had an extra staple, the original staples rusted through, and the rust migrated to some of the pages. While I only sent the book in thinking of getting the tape off, Kenny gave this book a new life.

So here is what was done:

Dry cleaned the cover (mainly the back)

Solvent bath, tape removal on the cover and first wrap.

Washed the cover

Reinforced split spine areas.

Sealed all the tears to cover and interior(which were quite a few)

Removed spine roll from interior

Reinforced centerfold staple areas.

replaced bottom staple(it was totally rusted through)

and pieces added to the pages where the staple rust had caused a piece of the page to become brittle

NO color touch :cloud9:

As soon as Kenny finds a proper replacement for the bottom staple, the restoration process will be complete.

Now for what you guys live for.... PICTURES!! :headbang:

Before Ze-man graced my book with his magical hands... You can see the 3 pieces of tape, and extra staple in middle of book

coverbeforetopdown.jpg

After..

coverafter.jpg

Back cover before..

backbeforetopdoqwn.jpg

Back cover after...

backafter.jpg

Before...

coversidebefore.jpg

A nice shot at the spine.. Looks awesome compared to above picture

coversideaftrr.jpg

Another before picture..

backsidebefore.jpg

Another shot on how nice the book looks now..

backsideafter.jpg

In hand... :cloud9:

inhand.jpg

I would like to take this time to publicly thank Kenny for an outstanding job!! He has been nothing but 100% professional throughout the time he has had my book, and presents himself with tons of class. I am so happy that he is now with Matt's team so others can experience his great work. All in all, this was an awesome learning experience, and I would never hesitate sending another book to Kenny. Thanks again Ze-man for this incredible "favor"!!

(worship) You da man Kenny (worship)

Wow... the initial front cover before and after was .... ok looking, but when you then showed the back cover before and after, :o Amazing! And the following pictures really picked up the differences on the front cover a little better too (I think the angle showed it better).

That's some truly impressive work!

Thanks for the kind words, I am humbled. :blush:

Truth be told when Evan first approached me with the book he said he had priced getting the work done and deemed it not worth the cost. So after talking awhile I told him I would be happy to take on the book as one last "freebie practice book" before joining Matt team officially. Mainly because it was a good example of what type of book benifits from restoration, not just aesthecially, but more so structurally which interests me more.

The three pieces of tape were basically holding the split, rust migrated cover on. So if you took the tape off you would be left with pretty much several comic parts..not a comic. So Evans inital tape removal request turned into a little more(he said to do whatever I wanted to,so I did!)

While pleased with the overall results, the ink loss on the BC from the tape bothers me. Nature of the beast I suppose, but man do I fuggin hate old brittle tape.

Here is a shot of the interior spine to show just how split the upper spine was, and the rusted paper areas.

interiorspinebefore.jpg

And lastly I wanted to once again thank one Matt Nelson, without his training, guidance and support stuff like this would not have been possible. And to be clear there will be no more free lunch, Phishin holds the distinction of being my last practice book because all work will now flow through Classics Inc.

We got some new stuff brewing that might be of interest. :juggle:

I am so happy for Kenny!! He finally gets his spot in stardom working for Matt!! He can be Matts CGC liaison!

Kenny - you are going to be a Supa- Star! :roflmao:

But you gotta love these boards.. Someone I never met, but talked to through a message board, had the kindness to take on a project when he was busy as hell!

Ill never forget this, and will always be looking to help out fellow boardies when I can..

Kenny, now you have to get Ellen in the mix. She'll be pressing books in no time lol (thumbs u