• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your *WORST* speculation purchase

97 posts in this topic

Not too long ago, a bunch of the ASB #10. A heck of a lot.. back when the prices were still a little high for each raw book doh!

ASBR 10 the potty mouth? I sold over 30 copies. Even at the end I tripled my money! Great speculation on my part haha. I still have a 9.8 signed by Jim Lee (yellow label)

I bought 5-10 copies in back issue market in the 1980's of hot DC books like:

Camelot 3000

New Teen Titans 17, 18, 20, 21, etc.

Omega Men

Batman and Outsiders

Legion 290-305 (hot Giffen books)

I dumped all these books long ago for less than I paid for them.

The worst ever was probably the first appearance of Gilgamesh. I believe, if memory serves me correctly, it was Eternals #13. I bought a bunch.

Although I remember afterwards, finding out that it was near impossible to truly ascertain his first appearance. Mayby Eternals 9, or Final Fantasy V (a game), and a few other possibilities. I even saw a special on TV that said a story very similar to the Noah's ark story in the Bible, was found and was written before the Bible was, and the Noah figure was actually named Gilgamesh.

No matter what though, unless I had 20 copies of the 3,000 year old first mention of Gilgamesh, I made a bad purchase.

Oh, and Robin #1, Spiderman (McFarland) #1, Legends of the Batman (all covers) #1, Death of anybody #1, only two Dazzler #1's (thank God).

I did make a bulk purchase of another mans collection and it had fifty copies of Speed racer#1. All minty though :)

Only real speculation I ever did was on Howard the Duck before the movie came out in the late 80s. Didn't have much money but spent it on the series and I think it went down in value after the movie. Now it's not even worth trading for a modern... :sorry:

Only real speculation I ever did was on Howard the Duck before the movie came out in the late 80s. Didn't have much money but spent it on the series and I think it went down in value after the movie. Now it's not even worth trading for a modern... :sorry:

Now THAT's bad!

Buying 50 copies of X-Men #1E, 1991.

Comics Buyers Guide and other publications were making a big deal out of this issue because it had the first glimpse of a "hot" new character called Omega Red, and that he was going to be the next Sabertooth. Hmmmm.

With respect to being the next Sabertooth... didn't it take 15-20 yrs for Sabertooth to be Sabertooth?

So Omega Red is bound to make his jump to stardom! Any...day...now....

:baiting:

Hits I made that panned out:

Multiple copies of Iron Fist 14, ASM 300, ASM 50.

Multiple copy buys of moderns that I believe will one day pan out: GI Joe 1, Thundercats 1, Batman 500, Omega Men 3, Transformers 1, Killing Joke 1, Joker 1.

Those that I apparently missed: Walking Dead 1, GI Joe 21, Invincible 1 (although I do not believe the WD and Invincible will last long).