• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your *WORST* speculation purchase

97 posts in this topic

2 that come to mind:

Purchasing New Mutants #87 for $65 when I was 13 years old.

More recently, purchasing a signed CGC 10.0 copy of Grimm Fairy Tales: Return to Wonderland #5. Ended up selling at a substantial loss despite the fact that an unsigned copy in 10.0 had sold for over $1,000 in the first part of 2008 doh!

yup, my old LCS bought like 5,000 copies of the various x-men #1s too. a lot of the gatefold cover. he was selling them for 25 cents each at shows 5 years later. lucky for him a basement flood wiped out a few thousand of them.

thankfully i never fell into this trap. oh sure, i bought 2 copies of x-men 2099 and what not, but never got burned too bad on any one item. i doubt i have spent more than $75 over the last 15 years on speculation books off the rack. I do have like 50 Superman 200s (Jim Lee) that I bought in a bulk lot for 60 cent each. I'm not sure why.

My worst speculation purchase was buying ten sets of the "Spider-Man Marquee Collection" at $189.90 a pop.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2850279&fpart=1

TEN?

What the hell? Don't you know anything that sells with a 4 x easy payments of blah blah blah is just crazy.... though heaven knows i really want a miracle blade so i can cut some dry wall up and install a window.

My worst speculation purchase was buying ten sets of the "Spider-Man Marquee Collection" at $189.90 a pop.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2850279&fpart=1

TEN?

What the hell? Don't you know anything that sells with a 4 x easy payments of blah blah blah is just crazy.... though heaven knows i really want a miracle blade so i can cut some dry wall up and install a window.

I want a Garden Weasel, because it's one of the best product names ever.

I also want Billy Mays' head on a platter. The Sham-Wow guy too.

in terms of off-the-newstand:

good buys:

wolverine #1, 17 copies, cover price, sold at around $20 ea.

killing joke, 3 copies, cover price, sold at around $15 ea.

batman 429, 5 copies, cover price, sold around $5-10 ea.

bad buys:

deathlok #2 (seriously?), 5 copies, cover price, still have em :insane:

Others? can't recall

Buy that I still like but hasn't panned out yet:

Nam 1 (35 copies), 12.5 cents ea. (actually this one was not off the newstand or I would have done great). This was no longer a hot book when I bought, back around early 90s.

TEN?

He was kidding. doh!

Nam 1 (35 copies), 12.5 cents ea. (actually this one was not off the newstand or I would have done great).

i knew a kid during my freshman year in HS that was buying 5 copies every issue until the end of the run, i don't know if he ever completed his task. :o i do remember that book being HOT or so i was told via the OS updates at $15 a pop!

Nam 1 (35 copies), 12.5 cents ea. (actually this one was not off the newstand or I would have done great).

i knew a kid during my freshman year in HS that was buying 5 copies every issue until the end of the run, i don't know if he ever completed his task. :o i do remember that book being HOT or so i was told via the OS updates at $15 a pop!

My LCS has the 'longbox for $50' deal from his 50-cent boxes, I put together a HG complete run of 'Nam this past week. Not because I thought it was worth anything, but because I used to have it, and liked it. Then again, I also put together a run of 'Nth Man', and a huge chunk of both 'Doom Patrol' and 'Suicide Squad', too.

I guess I was feeling particularly militaristic that day. :D

My LCS has the 'longbox for $50' deal from his 50-cent boxes, I put together a HG complete run of 'Nam this past week. Not because I thought it was worth anything, but because I used to have it, and liked it. Then again, I also put together a run of 'Nth Man', and a huge chunk of both 'Doom Patrol' and 'Suicide Squad', too.

I guess I was feeling particularly militaristic that day. :D

Nam was a great book, I wish the big two would publish something like it now.

good buys:

wolverine #1, 17 copies, cover price, sold at around $20 ea.

killing joke, 3 copies, cover price, sold at around $15 ea.

batman 429, 5 copies, cover price, sold around $5-10 ea.

bad buys:

deathlok #2 (seriously?), 5 copies, cover price, still have em :insane:

Others? can't recall

Nam 1 (35 copies), 12.5 cents ea. (actually this one was not off the newstand or I would have done great). This was no longer a hot book when I bought, back around early 90s.

come to think of it I also bought 5 copies of aliens vs predator 1 too. still have 'em. (aliens was hot, predator was hot, surely the crossover would be gold?) :insane: