• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Jason Ewert ever served any time?

54 posts in this topic

What did he do that was illegal? Site specific laws for me, please. (shrug)

He didn't do anything illegal.

Even if he trimmed dozens or hundreds of comics, that's not an illegal act.

Even if he submitted thousands of comics - including ones he'd trimmed - to CGC, that's not an illegal act.

However many CGC comics he subsequently sold, I doubt that he sold any illegally since my understanding is that he made no misrepresentation about these comics. He guaranteed nothing to the buyers but that they would receive the graded by CGC slabbed comic he pictured. And he delivered precisely that. So his selling practices did not constitute an illegal act either.

If he did indeed submit trimmed comics to CGC, what he did was exploit a flaw in the system, a flaw that was the responsibility of others - namely CGC - to rectify by improving their system/techniques for detecting trimming.

Now, I would imagine that the case would be made around the fact that he knew the classification was incorrect, and that his whole intention was to sell goods that he knew were not what they appeared to be.

Only if he warrantied CGC's grading as accurate. To my knowledge Jason never made any such warranties.

Does anybody know??? Does anybody have the ability to know???

I can't believe that he isn't in jail RIGHT NOW.

I mean hell how many thousands of dollars has this guys scammed people out of???

If this was a car dealer flipping known flooded autos he would of been behind bars a long time ago...

I figured that with all the lawyers on these boards that his reign of comic slicing terror would be over.

Maybe it has, Maybe this recent pop up - is stuff that wasn't uncovered before.

I thought this guy was old news.

Shouldn't you have used the search function? :baiting:

I was trying to avoid reading through 50,000 Ewert threads to get the answer.

To me there should be a law protecting consumers that invest in high dollar collectables.

To me it should be covered under statues of Fraud, I mean why else would this guy take the meticilous time and effort to find 9.4 and 9.6's and slice and dice them to 9.8's???...

I don't know law nor do I claim to know it but you would think someone that has scammed

people out of thousands of dollars would be a candidate for a crusade to make a law if there

isn't already one.

hm

No disrespect but with millions of people losing there homes and millions without healthcare, a trimmed funnybook would be one of the last things the government will worry about. Where he got away with it was he sent them in trimmed and CGC didn`t notice it. So technically that was his loophole.

No disrespect but with millions of people losing there homes and millions without healthcare, a trimmed funnybook would be one of the last things the government will worry about. Where he got away with it was he sent them in trimmed and CGC didn`t notice it. So technically that was his loophole.

Not so fast my friend! It would seem correct that the US Would keep those items you stated

as a higher priority. But there are always break away's - like the Utah's Attorney General going to bat over the NCAA BCS system.

:whistle:

Not so fast my friend! It would seem correct that the US Would keep those items you stated

as a higher priority. But there are always break away's - like the Utah's Attorney General going to bat over the NCAA BCS system.

doh!

I am seriously hoping that going after the BCS is about number 12,000 on the AG top ten list of things to do.

doh!

I am seriously hoping that going after the BCS is about number 12,000 on the AG top ten list of things to do.

I'm Afraid Not!

doh!

I'm Afraid Not!

That is utterly embarrassing. I love college football but... doh!

To try to get this back on track, wasn't one problem with the effort to go after Ewert the fact that there were no victims to come forward?? I seem to remember something to that effect. (shrug)

I mean hell how many thousands of dollars has this guys scammed people out of???

If this was a car dealer flipping known flooded autos he would of been behind bars a long time ago...

I figured that with all the lawyers on these boards that his reign of comic slicing terror would be over.

To me there should be a law protecting consumers that invest in high dollar collectables.

To me it should be covered under statues of Fraud, I mean why else would this guy take the meticilous time and effort to find 9.4 and 9.6's and slice and dice them to 9.8's???...

I don't know law nor do I claim to know it but you would think someone that has scammed

people out of thousands of dollars would be a candidate for a crusade to make a law if there

isn't already one.

hm

CGC lost a lot of money because of this guy so I assume they took him down in court.

isn't already one.

hm

CGC lost a lot of money because of this guy so I assume they took him down in court.

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

The fact is that CGC were asked to grade his books.

They did so, but they called them wrong.

He has no case to answer as far as CGC goes.

That CGC lost money was because of their admirable and correct decision to attempt to make things as right as they could. :applause: Right now, they need to step up to the plate again, IMHO.

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Correct! Case closed.

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Correct! Case closed.

Fraud: 1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

2. A piece of trickery; a trick.

a. One that defrauds; a cheat.

b. One who assumes a false pose; an impostor.

He knew they were restored so when they came back unrestored he had duty to speak up. Silence is not a defense in a court of law. This is civil and criminal IMO.

Let me see if I get this right:

In the wake of Ewerts stunt there are now so many books - many of these super high grade gems and keys - currently sitting in blue universal holders that potentially could be *trimmed* :eek:

If Ewert could pull this off and get away with it for a long period of time in relation to CGC, - certainly others could potentially have done the same.

In other words: How many trimming subbers - for how long? - have gotten away with this?? Is this a bomb slowly detonating under the clear dividing line separating blue labels from purple? I hope not.

First we had pressing as a borderline resto-technique apparently out of CGCs control. Are we now seing 'trimming' getting out of control? ?

Another thing:

In the Ewert list almost all the SA x-men books are missing. How come?

Surely he must have sold these also ...

Has the Ewert list been pulled from CGC or from ebay?

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Correct! Case closed.

Fraud: 1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

2. A piece of trickery; a trick.

a. One that defrauds; a cheat.

b. One who assumes a false pose; an impostor.

He knew they were restored so when they came back unrestored he had duty to speak up. Silence is not a defense in a court of law. This is civil and criminal IMO.

As I said earlier, I think there's a case to be made for the buyers of the 'Universal' restored books, but I don't think that CGC have much of a leg to stand on.

They graded them incorrectly in the first place, and then they decided to recheck and reslab them to help correct their initial mistake.

Respect to them for doing that, but it was them trying to made amends for dropping the ball and it was this that cost them.

Let me see if I get this right:

In the wake of Ewerts stunt there are now so many books - many of these super high grade gems and keys - currently sitting in blue universal holders that potentially could be *trimmed* :eek:

If Ewert could pull this off and get away with it for a long period of time in relation to CGC, - certainly others could potentially have done the same.

In other words: How many trimming subbers - for how long? - have gotten away with this?? Is this a bomb slowly detonating under the clear dividing line separating blue labels from purple? I hope not.

First we had pressing as a borderline resto-technique apparently out of CGCs control. Are we now seing 'trimming' getting out of control? ?

Another thing:

In the Ewert list almost all the SA x-men books are missing. How come?

Surely he must have sold these also ...

Has the Ewert list been pulled from CGC or from ebay?

breaking news- this came to light in 2005. "some people just want to see the world burn" get a life shill

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Actually Nick, CGC found itself bewteen a rock and a hard place. A case that they aided and abetted Ewert's fraud could have been as strong as a fraud case against Ewert. They would probably have been an indispensable party to any fraud complaint against Ewert. hm