• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Jason Ewert ever served any time?

54 posts in this topic

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

The fact is that CGC were asked to grade his books.

They did so, but they called them wrong.

He has no case to answer as far as CGC goes.

Actually Nick, CGC found itself bewteen a rock and a hard place. A case that they aided and abetted Ewert's fraud could have been as strong as a fraud case against Ewert. They would probably have been an indispensable party to any fraud complaint against Ewert. hm

Yeah, good point...it would certainly undermine any case they brought. (thumbs u

Let me see if I get this right:

In the wake of Ewerts stunt there are now so many books - many of these super high grade gems and keys - currently sitting in blue universal holders that potentially could be *trimmed* :eek:

If Ewert could pull this off and get away with it for a long period of time in relation to CGC, - certainly others could potentially have done the same.

In other words: How many trimming subbers - for how long? - have gotten away with this?? Is this a bomb slowly detonating under the clear dividing line separating blue labels from purple? I hope not.

First we had pressing as a borderline resto-technique apparently out of CGCs control. Are we now seing 'trimming' getting out of control? ?

Another thing:

In the Ewert list almost all the SA x-men books are missing. How come?

Surely he must have sold these also ...

Has the Ewert list been pulled from CGC or from ebay?

breaking news- this came to light in 2005. "some people just want to see the world burn" get a life shill

Hey Paperheart, sounds like you're sitting on a few, or maybe buddies with the man ?

CGC lost a lot of money because of this guy so I assume they took him down in court.

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Correct! Case closed.

Fraud: 1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

2. A piece of trickery; a trick.

a. One that defrauds; a cheat.

b. One who assumes a false pose; an impostor.

He knew they were restored so when they came back unrestored he had duty to speak up. Silence is not a defense in a court of law. This is civil and criminal IMO.

As I said earlier, I think there's a case to be made for the buyers of the 'Universal' restored books, but I don't think that CGC have much of a leg to stand on.

They graded them incorrectly in the first place, and then they decided to recheck and reslab them to help correct their initial mistake.

Respect to them for doing that, but it was them trying to made amends for dropping the ball and it was this that cost them.

Our law doesn't work that way in the USA.

I have a question - Where was he from? (IE eBay name, user name here, comic store, ect...)

I think his ebay ID was ejanter.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1055221

ejaenter (thumbs u

He was junior partner in VIA, Tom Brulato headed that up.

No bricks and mortar store.

I have a question - Where was he from? (IE eBay name, user name here, comic store, ect...)

Jason Ewert is originally from the metropolitan Detroit area. I set up next to him at a small Michael George show in 1989 and listened to his mother babble about how hard-working he was. He decided to bypass school to the comic-dealer thing. I didn't care to deal with him.

CGC lost a lot of money because of this guy so I assume they took him down in court.

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Correct! Case closed.

Fraud: 1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

He knew they were restored so when they came back unrestored he had duty to speak up. Silence is not a defense in a court of law. This is civil and criminal IMO.

As I said earlier, I think there's a case to be made for the buyers of the 'Universal' restored books, but I don't think that CGC have much of a leg to stand on.

They graded them incorrectly in the first place, and then they decided to recheck and reslab them to help correct their initial mistake.

Respect to them for doing that, but it was them trying to made amends for dropping the ball and it was this that cost them.

Our law doesn't work that way in the USA.

CGCLabel.jpg

They promised that the book would be graded by a pre-grader and two graders.

They promised to supply a grade, which they note is subjective.

They promised to note all restoration that they detected.

Which of their services did they not provide?

In answer to the original question, Jason has not done time.

Anyone care to speculate what he's up to these days? hm

:bump:

Anyone? Bueller?

I can't believe that no one knows where he wandered off to. Is he still in comics?

As much knowledge as there is floating around these boards, I have a hard time buying that nobody knows what happened to Ewert. (shrug)

But in general if anyone on this thread or the 4 others on the topic bought a book, found out it was originally graded an 8.5 by CGC but now the seller passed it off as a 9.2, didn't tell you that, and you found out afterwards, the common reaction would be.........

The common reaction would be.....what's the big deal here?

After all, the CGC grade is just their opinion on the condition of the book at that particular point in time. Everybody else is also entitled to an opinion of their own.

You should also note that CGC encourages the resubmission of previously graded books. They will grade the book that is in front of them without paying any attention to its prior grading history. Are you trying to imply that the seller is responsible for disclosing the entire grading history of a particular book as this is something that will never ever happen.

Especially when the entire CGC resubmission process is geared towards maximization of potential with the exact same books being able to achieve higher grades. This is exactly why we see books originally graded as 6.5's being regraded as 9.0's, 8.5's being regraded as 9.4's, 9.4's being regraded as 9.6's, etc.

You should also note that the large majority of posters here have already stated they would gladly pay the full market price for a regraded book even though it may have graded lower before. The only real price determining factor to them is the final CGC label.

I can't believe that he isn't in jail RIGHT NOW.

Nerf;

You can't be serious here!

I would be totally shocked if he was ever actually convicted of a crime here as this particular case would probably just be laughed right out of the courts.

All Jason was doing was submitting books to CGC for certification and then reselling them to collectors in the open market based upon CGC's label certification system. I don't believe he ever stated that the books were unrestored or untrimmed.

Can you ever imagine trying to explain to a judge or jury that CGC allows all sorts of other manipulative activities to be performed on a book for the sole purpose of upgrading a book to generate more dollars without providing disclosure to the buyers. Now try to explain why micro-trimming which is also done for the exact same maximization of potential purpose, and an activity which cannot consistently be detected by CGC be declared as a fraudulent crime. :screwy:

And not only that, you also have the chief spokesperson for CGC state publicly many times that he does not believe in the purity of the comics and this line of thinking is really nothing more than a load of ____. As often stated, the only thing that matters is the final CGC label and that's what the marketplace is paying for.

As a result, doesn't this really place the onus back on CGC to detect the fraudulent activities. Of course, their disclaimer on the back of the CGC label would alleviate them of any responsibility on their part.

In answer to the original question, Jason has not done time.

Anyone care to speculate what he's up to these days? hm

:bump:

Anyone? Bueller?

I can't believe that no one knows where he wandered off to. Is he still in comics?

As much knowledge as there is floating around these boards, I have a hard time buying that nobody knows what happened to Ewert. (shrug)

hm

I do wonder why a man with such obvious skill (and one hell of a lot of stock remaining in his possession), would decide to leave the only industry he had experience in.

Certainly not without a court order.

So...is he still 'active'? hm

Let me see if I get this right:

In the wake of Ewerts stunt there are now so many books - many of these super high grade gems and keys - currently sitting in blue universal holders that potentially could be *trimmed* :eek:

If Ewert could pull this off and get away with it for a long period of time in relation to CGC, - certainly others could potentially have done the same.

In other words: How many trimming subbers - for how long? - have gotten away with this?? Is this a bomb slowly detonating under the clear dividing line separating blue labels from purple? I hope not.

First we had pressing as a borderline resto-technique apparently out of CGCs control. Are we now seing 'trimming' getting out of control? ?

Another thing:

In the Ewert list almost all the SA x-men books are missing. How come?

Surely he must have sold these also ...

Has the Ewert list been pulled from CGC or from ebay?

breaking news- this came to light in 2005. "some people just want to see the world burn" get a life shill

I dont know how to say this paperart but if you are currently sitting on a collection stuffed with high-$$$$$ trimmed blue labels, you have my ... sympathy lol

They didn't.

And they couldn't.

Correct! Case closed

I disagree. CGC has never been so bold as to warranty that a book is unrestored. CGC promises only to supply a subjective grade and note any restoration that they could detect. Why should Jason not have believed that CGC detected no restoration?

Perhaps Jason himself knew better and was a superior grader than CGC. But that's irrelevant. The reason Jason sent the books to CGC in the first place is that he knew full well that the market cared not one iota for his opinion. CGC's was the only opinion that mattered.

As often stated, the only thing that matters is the final CGC label and that's what the marketplace is paying for.

Yes, precisely.