• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Super-Villain book?

29 posts in this topic

You want an entire book devoted to a villain? I'd argue that Silver Streak was predicated on the success of The Claw.

If not that, then I can't think of anything prior to Yellow Claw off the top of my head.

You want an entire book devoted to a villain? I'd argue that Silver Streak was predicated on the success of The Claw.

If not that, then I can't think of anything prior to Yellow Claw off the top of my head.

An entire book, like Superman #1 is for Superheroes.

West

How about working backwards somewhat.

Joker #1 from the 1970's

There was the Dr Doom solo book from Marvel Super Special in the 60s

Do we count a book like "If the Devil Would Talk"?

Or how about Reggie #1 (Archie's Rival)

Do any Horror books count, like the 1st Crypt Keeper?

But if you go with dedicated to a supervillain and titled as such, I'd go with Joker #1

Yellow Claw predates that by over 20 years. I'm not sure if you'd consider any of the Avon one shots truly dedicated to the villain, but it would be worth looking at those as well.

Mad Ming was another feature villain from 1940, but never had his own book.

Or maybe some of the Feature Books or a Four Color?

Yellow Claw predates that by over 20 years. I'm not sure if you'd consider any of the Avon one shots truly dedicated to the villain, but it would be worth looking at those as well.

Mad Ming was another feature villain from 1940, but never had his own book.

Or maybe some of the Feature Books or a Four Color?

I'd have to agree with Dan

Has to be the Yellow Claw

How "super" does the super-villain need to be.

Mask of Fu Manchu is earlier than Yellow Claw 1 (which was derivative of Fu Manchu).

If one-shots count - how about Comics Novel: Anarcho Dictator of Death?

Good suggestion.

If the criteria does not include an eponymous title than Classics Illustrated 13 Dr. Jekyll/Mr Hyde (August 1943) is even earlier.

How "super" does the super-villain need to be.

Mask of Fu Manchu is earlier than Yellow Claw 1 (which was derivative of Fu Manchu).

I wondered about that one, or even the sweet Phantom Witch Doctor you posted, or even Robotmen. But although I've never read those, I would imagine the story arc revolves around a generic protagonist rather than the villain - am I correct? Sort of like an old gumshoe detective story with an enticing villain to draw in a reader.