• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracked Slab Resub?

10 posts in this topic

Has anybody ever submitted a cracked slab for resub and had it downgraded?

Super curious

unless the book has been tampered with (tsk) , i.e. switched out of the case with a different book, cgc just reholders the book. I don't think there is any grading done.

Thanks, I know it hasn't been tampered with since it was my fault the case cracked.

That does bring another question, has anyone cracked out their book read it very very carefully then submitted it again (of course for re-grade with old label) and gotten a lower grade?

If the crack doesn't damage the book itself, then CGC will re-slab though the re-holdering service. If there is damage to the book, I don't think CGC will simply re-slab, but rather would recommend a re-grade.

As far as re-grading goes, theoretically, the same grade should be attained. However, it's possible for the grade to go up or down upon re-grade, since either the original grading or subsequent re-grading could be off.

If the crack doesn't damage the book itself, then CGC will re-slab though the re-holdering service. If there is damage to the book, I don't think CGC will simply re-slab, but rather would recommend a re-grade.

As far as re-grading goes, theoretically, the same grade should be attained. However, it's possible for the grade to go up or down upon re-grade, since either the original grading or subsequent re-grading could be off.

if there is just a crack in the slab and you would like it reholdered - they don't re-grade it. but yes if the book has obviously changed condition in anyway from the time of grading they would want to do a re-grade. my point is they don't grade the book when you send it in for a rehold for just a crack.

I have submitted a book with a cracked holder (without seals broken) in the past. It was received with a new case, and the same grade, but the page quality was given a bump from OW/W to W. That seems to suggest to me that CGC looks at the book before reholdering.

Just a thought on this,

If CGC regrades the book and it comes out different do they readjust the census. That is remove the book from the old grade and add it to the newally assigned grade. Also if you take a graded book and have it pressed and resubmitted for grading, how can CGC know to remove the book from the previous grade and add it to the new grade.

I was thinking about this cause in the selling forum there is allot of mentioning of pressing graded books to get a higher grade.

And if this happens a lot could the census be off then?

Just wondering.

If CGC regrades the book and it comes out different do they readjust the census. That is remove the book from the old grade and add it to the newally assigned grade.

Yes. If you send it in the slab.

Also if you take a graded book and have it pressed and resubmitted for grading, how can CGC know to remove the book from the previous grade and add it to the new grade.

They don't know unless you send the label in to them so they can take it off the census.

And if this happens a lot could the census be off then?

Every book that has been cracked, and the label not returned to CGC has caused the census to be off. So the answer is "yes", the census is not, and will never be 100% accurate. Ever.