• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you concerned about the future of your slabbed books?

65 posts in this topic

i probably wont get allot of responses with this question.

but there has been a lot of talk lately, about, let's just say "possible questionable practices" among sellers/grading companies/auction houses etc. that are dealing in the higher grade or rare high dollar comics.

and i know this talk isn't new, just seems like there has been more of it lately.

my question is to the collectors that have dropped allot of money, sometimes many multiple of guide type money on these books. does all this talk as of late have you concerned about the financial investments you have made? not suggesting anyone is in this hobby for the sole purpose of investment. but there has been some big money spent with the idea that if the book is graded, the dollar amount should hold up.

so is it worrying anyone? or do you feel confident the market will hold up amidst all the possible scandal.

None of that really matters to me as I buy all cheaper comics. My collection is 100% for reading so I avoid slabbed books or anything oldrr in high grade. I know I didn't answer your question but I thought I would get the ball rolling for you.

I personally go by one principle when buying a "regular" book...if its multiples of guide, then I don't buy. Plain and simple. The exception is for an SS book thats $50 because it has a sig on it and has been encapsulated, that otherwise might have a guide price of $5 if not SS'ed. But if its a blue label or raw and its multiple of guide price, I stay away till I find a better deal/price.

Can you explain what you mean?

What questionable practices?

As someone new to the hobby, I'd like a heads-up on any skullduggery thats going on before I start spending. :foryou:

I've read a lot of stuff here of course.

Are you referring to interference with graded books at all? hm

you can pretty much get all your info on these boards. any thread regarding Ewert, pressing, Manufactured Gold. etc.

it bothers some, others not so much.

I'm holding up fine. Thanks for asking.
^^

As stated many times before, it's inevitable that scandals hit graded collectibles, as where there's money to be made, you'll always find the scammer, rip-off artists and reprobates.

This certainly affects customer confidence levels, but the only thing that can kill a market is if it hits close to home, with a scam linked to someone or something affiliated with the organization.

i probably wont get allot of responses with this question.

but there has been a lot of talk lately, about, let's just say "possible questionable practices" among sellers/grading companies/auction houses etc. that are dealing in the higher grade or rare high dollar comics.

and i know this talk isn't new, just seems like there has been more of it lately.

my question is to the collectors that have dropped allot of money, sometimes many multiple of guide type money on these books. does all this talk as of late have you concerned about the financial investments you have made? not suggesting anyone is in this hobby for the sole purpose of investment. but there has been some big money spent with the idea that if the book is graded, the dollar amount should hold up.

so is it worrying anyone? or do you feel confident the market will hold up amidst all the possible scandal.

Personally, I'm not too worried about the scandals. I'm more worried about my comics aging as I own them. I've done my best to preserve them keeping them in a stable environment. I just hope when I get them regraded they will maintain their grades.

Can you explain what you mean?

What questionable practices?

As someone new to the hobby, I'd like a heads-up on any skullduggery thats going on before I start spending. :foryou:

I've read a lot of stuff here of course.

Are you referring to interference with graded books at all? hm

you can pretty much get all your info on these boards. any thread regarding Ewert, pressing, Manufactured Gold. etc.

it bothers some, others not so much.

Yes.

I've read some of these threads.

The Mr.Ewert thread I did'nt understand and almost fell asleep.

The thing about pressing I did'nt understand and almost fell asleep again.

I did read the great story about Edgar Churches' books,were'nt most of them naturally pressed by their own weight?

They seem to be very sought after despite that, I think.

I guess some of this stuff will mean something to me as I get into it, at present it seems very technical & complicated, mind you so does my DvD player.

Can you explain in one sentence what manufactured gold is please?

It was the title of a thread that displayed many scans of before and after of work(and supposed work) performed on books that may or may not have been disclosed by the sellers.

Certain individuals didn't like the thread and started posting irrelevant items and insults into said thread therefore getting it locked so that it would fall off the map...so to speak.

I do not judge the thread one way or another but did find it very interesting, and the scans were very pretty. (thumbs u

It was the title of a thread that displayed many scans of before and after of work(and supposed work) performed on books that may or may not have been disclosed by the sellers.

Certain individuals didn't like the thread and started posting irrelevant items and insults into said thread therefore getting it locked so that it would fall off the map...so to speak.

I do not judge the thread one way or another but did find it very interesting, and the scans were very pretty. (thumbs u

Thanks Mr.Mica.

:)

I'm not worried, financially. I've never spent more than I could reasonably afford to lose in a worst-case scenario, and that's not going to change. Luckily my interests are mostly confined to one or two titles.

What bothers me is not getting what I paid for, so my concern now is finding a way to collect where it really doesn't matter if a book I purchase is not quite what I thought it was. if that means collecting VF and lower, I may just make that switch. At least it'll cost less.

I'm holding up fine. Thanks for asking.

I concur.

That is indeed good news.

Cool, now I can stick my Ostrich neck back in the sand :cloud9:

Please be careful with that endeavor. :wishluck: