• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any surprises left in Golden Age Comics
1 1

53 posts in this topic

You tell a great story, nearmint! Have you ever considered a career in screen-writing?

who do you think wrote all those XXX flix you live for?

XXX :cloud9:

it doesn't mean 30 different forms of restoration all on one book, moe-ron.

restoration :cloud9:

crystal-ball.jpg

Looking into the future, I think GA collectors can expect to see:

... answers to various "Unsolved Mysteries" in GA that exist, such as "Did Schomburg actually draw Brick Bradford #6?"

...a revelation of true GA comic scarcity as Gerber ratings, CGC census numbers and collectors' intuition converge to the truth!

...Overstreet finally breaking out values of certain GA issues that routinely trade above the current grouping;

...the level of restoration on some "big books" from major pedigrees (Mile High, SF, Allentown, etc) as they are CGC-certified prior to public auction sale. Many current owners may be surprised at what CGC finds as well!

... :wishluck: some new GA finds as the troubled economy and associated foreclosures force elderly household to move-- prompting previously unknown comic collections to surface after 50-60 years!

...the continued migration of maturing SA collectors discovering GA goodness, selling their SA hoards to pursue the "dark" side of the hobby!

My 2c

GE

There's always new stuff...

There's always more to learn about the artists of the Golden Age, too. For instance, so many of the artists from the Iger Studio in the 50s were nameless. What happened to all that original artwork from Ajax/Farrell? Who were the artists (beyond Kamen, Baker, etc.)?

The Art Spiegelman book was an excellent study of Jack Cole.... and we learned a lot about Fletcher Hanks through Paul Karasik's book. There's so much more to learn about these artists.

Great thread!

One of the best panels I attended in recent years was Mark Evanier's interview with Gerald Jones at WonderCon in 2007. While there were no new disclosures not revealed in his book, Men of Tomorrow; it made you realize how far a little dedicated research could go in sorting out the mysteries of the Golden Age.

Recently we have seen the estate sale of Carl Barks which shed some interesting light on his work and his surroundings.

I would suspect we might see other estate sales involving the paper ephemera of artists; including their journals of work performed for a variety of publishers.

If only someone had kept a diary! That would be quite a find.

How about the original cover of Young Allies 1 with Stalin on it? Is there even one copy out there ? Or even an Ashcan? If there was would would that be worth?
There would be no reasoning to create an ashcan of Young Allies as they created the characters of the same name years back, thus no need to copyright it.

Interesting stuff.......It wouldn't suprise me a bit if a previously unknown (or unseen) book came onto the market in the next several years. There are always old collections burried in basements and attics so a one shot of some known title could surface....but maybe not a bombshell type book.

I am always on the look out at flea markets and antique stores and plenty of folks at work know I collect so I have had lots of books brough in for opinions, but none have been GA or even SA doh!

There should be some surprises in giveaways and promo books as there may still unknown books in this area.

A couple years ago we figured out that The Junior Justice Society club kit featured a different dated copy of the Minute Man Answers the Call comic. Each year's book was altered so that the final panel included the actual date of the books release.

Narrative Illustration and Good Triumphs Over Evil were first printed in Print Magazine. Print Magazine was available quarterly with a year subscription costing $2.00 in 1942!

Jay,

I assume you are reading Alter-Ego, volumes and volumes of history in each issue and back issues are available at cover price. Most issues are themed so you can pick a subject you want to read about. I highly recommend reading this fanzine.

If you have never read Steranko's History of Comics you owe it to yourself to read both of those volumes too.

Frank

Perhaps one day the riddle of what later issues of Plastic Man contain new stories by Jack Cole, and which are only reprints will be solved. Overstreet has been puzzling over this for decades apparently.

I have to agree with the hypothesis that the only unknown comics likely to be discovered at this point are giveaways with limited distribution that are just as likely to have been ignored than missing.

hm

It will come to ilght FINALLYt, that many of the so called "male" comic book writers, were actually ghost writers for women, brilliant, innovative women, who were afraid to admit their gender, because of the times.

Either that, or one or two will be found to be cross dresser's...

I liked that story Jeff, but you don't want to call your beautiful wife "bleach";)

There's always new stuff...

There's always more to learn about the artists of the Golden Age, too. For instance, so many of the artists from the Iger Studio in the 50s were nameless. What happened to all that original artwork from Ajax/Farrell? Who were the artists (beyond Kamen, Baker, etc.)?

I know where two covers are.....jon

72358.jpg.dbae179742c45d9b15ce2382bcc0337a.jpg

72359.jpg.6cfc7f0005d69095357adb8c7946ac83.jpg

Those covers are flat-out awesome! Terrific stuff! I don't recall seeing other Farrell covers. Have you seen others? Any interiors?

This is all I have seen. I do not presently, hunt as I once did. Farrell was Victor Fox's business partner and took over these "old" Fox characters for a time....Phantom Lady, Samson, Flame....For the Phantom Lady I have a ? if it was done by a "Peter Heames". I wish I knew more about this time and its artists.

jon

I would suspect we might see other estate sales involving the paper ephemera of artists; including their journals of work performed for a variety of publishers.

Yes, diaries would be best. Paper ephemera like payroll books, editor's notebooks, and the day-to-day correspondence of editors and publishers of GA comics would be quite a historical find. Not only would unknown artists be revealed, but the writers as well, many of whom may have been women.

In the GCD I often find credit alterations noted with " . . . based upon the editorial notebooks of Julius Swartz" or " . . . Giordano"

Yes, diaries would be best. Paper ephemera like payroll books, editor's notebooks, and the day-to-day correspondence of editors and publishers of GA comics would be quite a historical find. Not only would unknown artists be revealed, but the writers as well, many of whom may have been women.

In the GCD I often find credit alterations noted with " . . . based upon the editorial notebooks of Julius Swartz" or " . . . Giordano"

The Connecticut Historical Society recently obtained the payroll and cost logs of Eastern Color Printing....which includes material it published for comicbook companies from the 1930s and payment for specific titles