• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any surprises left in Golden Age Comics
1 1

53 posts in this topic

I am not talking about the next big pedigree find but rather something coming to light that was previously unknown.

Example: Action Comics #1 not being the first appearence of Superman or Detective Comics #27 not being the first Batman.

Or are there any books out their that are rummored to exist but no one has ever seen a copy? How about an key artists unknown work coming to light in a comic book that they were not originally credited with?

Are there any great mysteries still to uncover or do we just enjoy the history of Golden Age comics as it exists now?? hm

There could be. Let's say Black Terror becomes the next big thing. There'd be all sorts of 1st appearances of minor characters and detailed origins etc.

I think some of the obscure 1st appearances are relatively unknown and could become a surprise if demand rose significantly.

Can anyone tell me Sylvestor and Tweety's first appearance?

How about Yosemite Sam?

When was Frazetta's very first published art done? First cover?

Anything of real significance is probably already out there. Except maybe a prototype or somesuch.

There could be. Let's say Black Terror becomes the next big thing. There'd be all sorts of 1st appearances of minor characters and detailed origins etc.

I think some of the obscure 1st appearances are relatively unknown and could become a surprise if demand rose significantly.

Can anyone tell me Sylvestor and Tweety's first appearance?

How about Yosemite Sam?

When was Frazetta's very first published art done? First cover?

Anything of real significance is probably already out there. Except maybe a prototype or somesuch.

:gossip: Tally Ho Comics

There are still some little things that we are learning about published newstand comic magazine (i.e. stuff 1933 and after) but the big things seem to be known. Here's some little stuff we discussed on the boards link

I think we'll continue to get more info about unpublished comic related ephemera in the future as well as information about artists and other creators for quite a while. Here's some new info on Joe Shuster link .

I continue to find the GA interesting but then I like all these little background historical ideas.

naturally I was being facetious... there is always new info around the corner... different takes on existing thoughts and ideas, etc... it is, as adamstrange says, one of the things that keeps GA interesting

On a balmy Summer day in August of 2011, a lanky wanna-be screenwriter, his bleach blonde wife, and their precocious 4-year-old son will happen upon a garage sale while enjoying a 10K walk through the quaint streets of Solvang, California.

While thumbing through an extensive collection of LPs, including a copy of Crosby, Stills, & Nash's 4 Way Street still in its factory shrinkwrap, the lanky wanna-be screenwriter will be distracted by a cardboard box, resting on a pair of old stereo speakers, the box's corner split on one side . The sun, filtered through the leaves of a nearby oak tree, will focus a shaft of light through the the ragged split corner, illuminating a portion of the box's contents...a periodical of some sort, and the words "Buy War Bonds and Stamps for Victory!"

Intrigued, he removes the old Mexican rug covering most of the box, and pries open the lid. His eyes light up at the contents...four color wonders from another age. Titles such as The Black Terror, Fighting Yank, America's Best, Thrilling, Startling, Exciting, Wonder!

One of them, in particular catches his attention, and he carefully removes it from the box. On a blazing yellow cover, The Fighting Yank, a striking hero with a nifty tri-corner hat, flies high above Nazi Germany, preparing to drop a bomb labeled "Hitler Special" on an unsuspecting Reichstag.

The lanky wanna-be screenwriter gingerly turns the book over and examines the back cover. It would have been so easy to miss it among the grand exclamations about the long-forgotten product advertised there, but something draws his eyes to a small ink stamp just left of center. A cursive name, the first more difficult to read than the last, but he's seen the stamp before.

"Tom Reilly" he whispers under his breath. His last breath for a good minute, as his eyes wander back to the box, and the two large stacks of comics within. He quickly removes a random sampling, checking each for the same cursive ink stamp, and in most cases finding it.

"There's more where those came from", comes a booming voice from behind. The lanky wanna-be screenwriter turns towards the source of the voice, a kindly grandfather type in a blue flannel shirt and faded jeans. He gestures with a nod of his head towards the open garage.

Stacked there, next to a set of ancient encyclopedias, sit six more cardboard boxes. "Picked them up at an estate sale outside of Sacramento in the early nineties. Got 'em for a song."

The lanky wanna-be screenwriter struggles to speak, his mouth suddenly dry as Death Valley. "I'll take them. All of them." He reaches for his wallet. "How much are you asking?"

The grandpa stamps his work boot on a cockroach scurrying across the driveway. He grins. "How much you got?"

You tell a great story, nearmint! Have you ever considered a career in screen-writing?

who do you think wrote all those XXX flix you live for?

XXX :cloud9:

it doesn't mean 30 different forms of restoration all on one book, moe-ron.