• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank god for plastic - crucial water damage avoided.

15 posts in this topic

:o o my god

None of you people know who I am, so I'll explain. My collection consists of one long box with all my dearest treasures, and a short box with some junk I cant stand to get rid of. I know, I know, it pales in comparison to you big boys and your 100+ long box collections ;).

Anywho, tonight I had the urge to sift through my long box and take a look at some of my babies. As I went through the box, I was having some trouble pulling out individual books. They seemed stuck in between their neighboring books. I thought maybe the box was too full, so I took out a small stack and set it aside. Problem fixed, right? Not quite.

I pulled out a book that had a paper grading label taped to the bottom corner. To my surprise, the entire label was soaked, with the ink running amok. This scared the poop out of me, needless to say.

I pulled a significant chunk out of the box and examined the books. All of the sleeves were damp at the bottom, smelled kind of funky, and stuck together. I looked at the bottom of the box and the warped cardboard screamed WATER DAMAGE!

I don't know how in the world the bottom of that box got soaked. The carpet is dry. The top and sides of the box, both dry. Thank god my books are still dry too, by the way. :applause: The sleeves did they're job. I'm very pleased.

I went into my living room and laid every book on the floor to air out, and wiped them with a towel. That took a while, but it did give me a chance to take a picture of some of my comics. You can take a look here(terrible quality):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/joshsmith/COMICS/

Moral of the story: Don't take the sleeves for granted.

I had a similar thing happen when my wife (then she was my girlfriend) and I lived in an apartment. The problem was there was no insulation in the outside walls, so when it rained (which happens rarely in Phoenix), the walls would get damp and the boxes got damp in the closet. I had about 20 short boxes at the time.

Like you, I dried everything off and aired the books out. More importantly, replace the boxes. They will mildew. The cool thing is, here I am about 15 years later, and none of the books were damaged due to this incident.

Look at the location the boxes were located in and make sure the walls are insulated. If not, move the boxes.

Cool books by the way. Most of my books at the time were Valiant titles, Magnus, Solar, X-O Manowar, etc.

Oh yeah, gotta love steranko. =)
:applause:

:

. All of the sleeves were damp at the bottom, smelled kind of funky, and stuck together. I looked at the bottom of the box and the warped cardboard screamed WATER DAMAGE!

I don't know how in the world the bottom of that box got soaked. The carpet is dry.

Cat pee-pee (shrug)

(Glad your books are ok)

:

. All of the sleeves were damp at the bottom, smelled kind of funky, and stuck together. I looked at the bottom of the box and the warped cardboard screamed WATER DAMAGE!

I don't know how in the world the bottom of that box got soaked. The carpet is dry.

Cat pee-pee (shrug)

(Glad your books are ok)

:o

Saying that makes me think of the South Park homage to the Heavy Metal movie! :headbang:

MANY times when you believe there isn't any damage caused by a water incident, there actually is in the end. Many times the damage is basically invisible to the human eye, but has seeped into the pours of the pulp, started causing corrosion in the metal of the staples, and essentially has muted the books cover, and interior colors.

As a test, send one into CGC for grading, there is a VERY good chance it will come back graded lower than the book SEEMS to be, and upon calling in for notes, you will find there WAS water damage afterall.

MANY times when you believe there isn't any damage caused by a water incident, there actually is in the end. Many times the damage is basically invisible to the human eye, but has seeped into the pours of the pulp, started causing corrosion in the metal of the staples, and essentially has muted the books cover, and interior colors.

Exactly what I was going to say - whenever a comic book is exposed to a radial shift in water/moisture, no matter if the books don't get directly hit, there can still be significant effects.