• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: My friend got BURNED on his first ever ebay deal (I told him to use ebay)

20 posts in this topic

Long story short:

My friend needed a new charger for a laptop.

BEST BUY wanted $100.

I told him he could get it on ebay for $15 including shipping.

He has never used ebay before but gives it a try.

Seller we chose had 10,000+ feedback.

Seller sends him the wrong charger.

Seller refunds his payment and tells him to ship it back and he will send him the right one.

My friend spends $5 to ship it back and asks for the seller to reimburse his $5 in return shipping costs because this was seller's mistake.

Seller refuses to refund return shipping costs after several emails sent.

Seller also refuses to send correct charger until my friend pays him again.

My friend leaves negative feedback for seller due to seller refusal to pay return shipping costs.

I doubt my friend will ever use ebay again.

Fancy recommending ebay :/

What possessed you? :baiting:

The fact he can get a $15 charger there when BEST BUY wanted $100.

So who is the biggest thief here? Probably BEST BUY.

And I buy 9.8 Batman slabs on ebay all the time and have never had a problem.

So your friend lost $5 in return shipping? meh Sound like the seller was pretty reasonable. I would refund the shipping. Do you and he really consider as "burned" by a $5 deal gone bad?

So your friend lost $5 in return shipping? meh Sound like the seller was pretty reasonable. I would refund the shipping. Do you and he really consider as "burned" by a $5 deal gone bad?

The point is he will probably not use ebay again. Let's face it, this is 2009, it took him 13 years to give ebay a try.

And his first deal goes bad.

Not only does the seller send him the wrong item, the seller forces him to eat the return shipping charges for a mistake that was 100% the seller's fault.

It's not the $5 that matters.

It is the fact his first ebay experience was a bad one..... and he probably won't go back.

I'd be leery of any "new" electronics/batteries/devices that are listed on ebay for only 15% of what Best Buy has them for. I buy that kind of stuff online all the time (not just on ebay) and unless it's used - the discounts are generally not that steep.

Soon enough you'll have to buy groceries only online. lol

A charger you say...hey...well I've lost over $1000 and I'm still using ebay to this day. It's not stopping me...but those people will pay. It does suck losing that amount of cash but life goes on.

Maybe one day your friend will decide again...but I know that situation sucked.

Sheesh...tell your freind to try again...

I did tell him that.

But he's not the type to buy stuff online.

After this, I don't think he will again.

After 13 years of non-participation, sounds like he had grave doubts to begin with, and this little hiccup will probably re-inforce those doubts.

He probably would'nt have been a prolific buyer let's face it, so its no real loss to him.

Sounds like he's not a fan of the Internet so he will feel re-assured in that belief.

Always a positive somewhere. (thumbs u

Somehow, considering the title of this thread, I thought your buddy had really been taken to the cleaners. Absolutely, the seller made a mistake and should pay return shipping but $5 is pretty painless. If your buddy wants show that rotten Ebay seller his virtual middle finger he should march down to Best Buy and proudly plunk down his $100 for a charger.

When my Dell laptop charger cord quit working I could not find a replacement locally. A 30 second search on Ebay and $20 via Paypal and my charger cord was on its way. A hassle free, low cost transaction and I couldn't be happier. Ebay certainly has its flaws but it has its postive moments also.