• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT barrett jackson auctions

55 posts in this topic

Could have bought a Buick Stage III about 15 years ago for $3500.00 Covertible with a 455. I didnt have a bidders card.

I have loved the Grand National since I was a kid. The GNX version goes for a lot of money though.

I wouldnt take the stage in convertible. I like MUSCLE. Gotta be a hardtop if its gonna go fast!

And correct that. ALL grand nationals are expensive!

I shopped those when they were brand new. :cloud9:

Decided to buy a used L69 '84 Z28 instead.

I can't believe someone got a Copo ZL 1 Camaro for $300 K.

The sky is falling indeed.

This is why i love american muscle. This is my father's car. Original Owner, bought it in 66, still looks mint to this day.

Cerrito2.jpg[/img]

Quick car from the factory; faster with a little love.

:headbang:

If it didn't eventually have a torrid love affair with rust, I would have kept it even longer than I did.

Four barrel Rochester. :cloud9:

I really enjoy it, this was my second time attending the Scottsdale auction in person with my father. Got in a few bids on stuff I think were pretty good deals, my dad got in on a couple cars as well. Was a pretty good time, they treat their customers VERY well.

If it didn't eventually have a torrid love affair with rust, I would have kept it even longer than I did.

Got mine in 92, and still have it. I fixed the torrid affair with rust and flaking paint and made it even faster.

:devil:

Got mine in 92, and still have it. I fixed the torrid affair with rust and flaking paint and made it even faster.

:devil:

Got this pic online, but this was exactly the car. Same color, same ground effects.

Man, I loved that car. Bought it with 11,000 miles on it, and drove that 5.0 H.O into the ground. :devil:

250605_0071.JPG

I watched a bit of teh show, and Im puzzled. All these cars are absolutely perfect. And they keep saying all original with numbers and registered letters to prove their pristine virgin originalness. But they also tout the extreme workmanship to put them together with all original paarts etc.

Where do car collectors draw the line?

Are these cars "file copies"? Perfect limited production "trophy cars" that have never been driven except in and out of garages and trailers? Available originally only to connected car collectors? Or bought by shops new and accessorized privately with registered parts etc into limited editions of the normal dealer cars?

Or are they just dealer-bought cars kep well?

Or dealer bought cars rthat were pretty wll maintained but recently restored to their pristine shape?

If so, how much lesswould a car like these ('62 Mustang or Cuda etc) sell in just pretty nice condition? Im trying to understand the pricing--- is it the "car" itself, or the work done to it, or the cachet added by workmen that amps the values so high?

Also, there must be 100s of employees working these auctions!!! How much money are they making??

Sellers state what there cars are, its up to the buyer to be the expert and identify if the car is the real deal or a restored fake. Over the years there have been some confused and a little po'd buyers that were taken and refused to pay up for the clones. Its fun to watch on TV, enjoy it every year.

Just tuned in, thanks for the update guys as I didn't know this was on today.

I have a '68 Camaro RS convertible and a '67 Mercury Cougar in the garage, both California and 2'nd owner cars but high mileage drivers. The Camaro is in pretty nice original condition considering it has 225k miles on it though.

Glad to know there are other car guys out there in comic collecting land!

Sellers state what there cars are, its up to the buyer to be the expert and identify if the car is the real deal or a restored fake. Over the years there have been some confused and a little po'd buyers that were taken and refused to pay up for the clones. Its fun to watch on TV, enjoy it every year.

Cars can be the real deal, a restored real deal, or a restored fake.

But thank God for trim.

But thank God for trim.

goes w/o saying, but we're talking cars now.

I watched a bit of teh show, and Im puzzled.

Are these cars "file copies"? Perfect limited production "trophy cars" that have never been driven except in and out of garages and trailers? Available originally only to connected car collectors? Or bought by shops new and accessorized privately with registered parts etc into limited editions of the normal dealer cars?

Or dealer bought cars rthat were pretty wll maintained but recently restored to their pristine shape?

If so, how much lesswould a car like these ('62 Mustang or Cuda etc) sell in just pretty nice condition? Im trying to understand the pricing--- is it the "car" itself, or the work done to it, or the cachet added by workmen that amps the values so high?

interstingly, restored is not a dirty word like it is in our world, it is actually desirable. The Classic car markets loves restored cars ( done right, of course), because you have a 30+ year old car in 3 day old condition --- inside and out. The perfectly and insanely time consuming / professional / dillegently resotred cars can bring the big bucks =.

There are detailed records kept and that are public knowledge as to how many of each type of car was produced --- a 1971 Cuda with a certain engine, color, and tranny as an example. Then you have the level of documentation / provenance of the cars past ownership history and repairs. Want to get $500,000 for a Cuda? ... come up with a beautifully restored, high demand model with all orignal factory parts and options with matching numbers, ( production codes/dates on the chassis / engine ) with a combination of high demand features ( certain engine / tranny / color combo ) that verify there were only 12 models just like that made, with yours including a high level of documentation --- have the nicest known one out there --- and you have your Action 1 money ( or down payment, if its high grade :gossip: )

But thank God for trim.

I had a 69 cougar.. Was originally a 351W with a 9". My neighbor blew the windsor and built a 302 HO with some sweet add ons. I bought that car after it was quick, full leather interior, some pretty wheels. And it was wrecked because of a drunk driver... I still miss that car! That would be one of the few I would REALLY love to own again.

I watched a bit of teh show, and Im puzzled. All these cars are absolutely perfect. And they keep saying all original with numbers and registered letters to prove their pristine virgin originalness. But they also tout the extreme workmanship to put them together with all original paarts etc.

Also, there must be 100s of employees working these auctions!!! How much money are they making??

i know there is a 10 percent buyers premium on top of the sale price plus whatever it costs to show a car there...plus addmission..concessions...etc etc etc hahaha, i think they have a good racket going. i noticed way more chevys this year so far, last year was the year of the mustang

But thank God for trim.

It does.

Here's an example for you.

Yesterday someone paid $60,000 + for a 1980 Turbo Trans Am, because it could be documented that the car had less than 500 miles on it.

Someone else paid $80,000 for a 1969 Z 28, because it could be documented it was all matching parts, and had been meticulously restored.

Someone would pay considerably less than that for, say, a 1969 base Camaro that had been meticulously restored to LOOK like a 1969 Z 28.

Just imagine what someone pays for a rare 1969 Z 28 that actually can be documented to have less than 500 miles on it, and I think you get close to the upper 6 figures noted earlier in the thread.

But thank God for trim.

It does.

Here's an example for you.

Yesterday someone paid $60,000 + for a 1980 Turbo Trans Am, because it could be documented that the car had less than 500 miles on it.

Someone else paid $80,000 for a 1969 Z 28, because it could be documented it was all matching parts, and had been meticulously restored.

Someone would pay considerably less than that for, say, a 1969 base Camaro that had been meticulously restored to LOOK like a 1969 Z 28.

Just imagine what someone pays for a rare 1969 Z 28 that actually can be documented to have less than 500 miles on it, and I think you get close to the upper 6 figures noted earlier in the thread.

69 Z-28 all original, less then 500 miles and show room condition? I would imagine upper 6 figures. That is just something that is hard to come by. You really cant get a better model then that.

My neighbor coincidentally has a 69 z-28. He bought it original ages ago, and swapped out the motor and 4 speed trans for a 383 stroker and th-400. He bracket raced the car for years and then it sat. He just rebuilt it again from the ground up, and now has a 454 BB with a 6-71 blower under the hood, and a ton of other goodies, painted the clasic yellow and black, and topped it with 18x7 and 18x10 wheels. The chrome on that car is so bright. I am very very jealous.

My neighbor coincidentally has a 69 z-28. He bought it original ages ago, and swapped out the motor and 4 speed trans for a 383 stroker and th-400. He bracket raced the car for years and then it sat. He just rebuilt it again from the ground up, and now has a 454 BB with a 6-71 blower under the hood, and a ton of other goodies, painted the clasic yellow and black, and topped it with 18x7 and 18x10 wheels. The chrome on that car is so bright. I am very very jealous.

Maybe you could put on your fuzzy slippers and robe, go out and take a pic, and post it for us? :popcorn:

Maybe you could put on your fuzzy slippers and robe, go out and take a pic, and post it for us? :popcorn:

Garage kept (thumbs u

And next time he has it out, I will snap a pic.

The guy across the street also has a mid 11 second 93 mustang GT, that sounds ridiculous. My other friend has a 70 Mustang that I love. I am the only one with no toys right now :cry: