• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC round down the final grade of the 3 grader's average?

25 posts in this topic

I am under the assumption there are 3 graders on the average CGC book and each one assigns a grade.

Now if one says 7.5, one says 8.0, and one says 8.5 then the average grade is 8.0 and I assume that is the final grade put on the book?

But what happens if one says 7.0 and two say 8.0, meaning the average grade would be 7.67

Then what is the grade? Do they round the final grade down to 7.5? Or do they go with "majority rule" and give it an 8.0?

I really don't think anyone here (except for a CGC Grader) can specifically answer your question. Let's say the finalizer finds something the other two did not, I doubt they will take an average. So IMHO the answer to your question is 'Not necessarily, leaning toward NO'. You cannot apply a formula or exact science rules to grading.

The finalizer determines the final grade, hence their title.

So this "finalizer" is one of the three? Or a fourth?

Because once when I called CGC for notes they said

"All 3 graders said 9.2"

whereas another time I was told:

"One said 9.0, two said 9.2, and one said 9,4" (the final grade for this was a 9.2)

So are there 3 or 4 graders in total? Does the age or value of the book determine the number of graders?

There are three graders who submit their grades to a fourth grader (the finaliser), who takes their opinions into account when arriving at a final grade. (thumbs u

Nick I believe there are 3 graders total with an occasional 4th (extra opinion or someone being trained)...but the finalizer always sets the final grade.

R.

There are three graders who submit their grades to a fourth grader (the finaliser), who takes their opinions into account when arriving at a final grade. (thumbs u

Nick I believe there are 3 graders total with an occasional 4th (extra opinion or someone being trained)...but the finalizer always sets the final grade.

R.

I stand corrected and bow to your superior knowledge. (worship)

:foryou:

Well, until recently I hadn't heard this before but there is the pre-grader that does the initial data entry to start the process and have a record in the system that the "official" graders then complete. It made sense once I heard this, and it came from the CGC customer service desk.

You could ask Steve Borok since he is on the forum. But then again, that may put him in a tough spot as he could have been asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement on how the entire process works during employment or when he was getting ready to leave.

That may have been your 4th grader, or it was like someone stated concerning situations where someone is being trained and were asked to submit their opinion.

Since Borock (the finalizer) left, CGC has abandoned the "4 grader method", and uses the much more random "dartboard" method. However, they can't disclose this information since that method had already been patented by PGX.