• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Avengers Sketch Cover MEGATHREAD

1,808 posts in this topic

I keep scanning your list, and wow, no one on that list is super easy to get to. I guess Mike Choi would the "easiest" (and he's a nice guy with a growing line at every con he does) since he does a decent amount of shows, I think. Some of these guys do 1 or 2 shows a year, so they are only "easy" to get if you are at the show they are attending. I guess Bob Layton might be easier than the others, I've seen him at a few shows the last year.

What a list, though... :) I'd be in heaven after getting anyone on that list. I've gotten a couple of people on the list, but still... Happy hunting! :)

Joel

- Davind Finch- Congrats

- Chris Bachalo - Congrats

- Lenil Yu- I missed him at NYCC tough.

- Alex Maleev- Not so bad, does a nice amount of shows.

- Gabriel Dell'otto- Tough

- Marko Djurdevic- Expensive

- Steve McNiven- Very small sketch list, not as many cons as during civil war.

- Tim Sale- Tough, small sketch list. Good price though.

- Steve Epting- Same as Tim Sale

- Johm Romita- Does not like sketching at cons, sketches through special opps.

- Esad Ribic- Not so tough at NYCC.

- John Romita Jr.- Sketches more frequently than his dad but tough still.

- Adi Granov- Not sure

- Joe Quesada- Tough for a sketch

- John Cassaday- Not sure

- J Scott Campbell- Not sure

- Bob Layton- Easy and a pleasure @ the NYCC.

- Mike Zeck- Pay up to Par2ch!

- Billy Tan- Easy, get your moneys worth though!

- Jim Lee- Yeah right!

- Joe Sinnott- He gets big lines but bangs out sketches....Awesome Legend!

- Bagley- Not sure

- Todd McFarlane- TOUGH

- Kaare Andrews- I wish he would come to NY so TOUGH

- Mike Choi- I agree w/ what Joel said on this.

Hope this helps!

hey i had a question also who on my list is easiest to get too?
I'm no expert but I'd say Zeck.

Zeck I would not say is easy, he does not do shows but luckily he is very receptive to having private signings for SS. This was the first time that he allowed an list for headsketches, so in that sense it was a bit easier for some fans who wanted a quick headsketch to get one....but for a Fallen Son/Secret Invasion/Dark Avengers I would put him at one of the rarest since there is only 1 out there and he has no plans to do any others.

- Joe Quesada

- Todd McFarlane

- Mike Zeck

These thress I would be at the toughest, Quesada doesnt sketch at shows, McFarlane will if your lucky and Zeck is not taking comission/large sketch requests now as stated earlier

hey i had a question also who on my list is easiest to get too?
I'm no expert but I'd say Zeck.

Zeck I would not say is easy, he does not do shows but luckily he is very receptive to having private signings for SS. This was the first time that he allowed an list for headsketches, so in that sense it was a bit easier for some fans who wanted a quick headsketch to get one....but for a Fallen Son/Secret Invasion/Dark Avengers I would put him at one of the rarest since there is only 1 out there and he has no plans to do any others.

Gee, I wonder who it is that has the only one out there? hm

Thanks guys! and yea i agree with Dan Zeck will be improbable but its a wish list so a guy can wish right? i think the hardest will be djudevic just because like Sean said he's expensive! and i wouldnt be able to afford it, but Adam told me that at NYCC his prices were extremely lower and affordable

I talked to a guy at the CGC booth who was dropping off a sick Green Goblin head fully-colored done by Djurdjevic. I know his sign for commissions said $500, but maybe for the small area of the cover he charges less. The guy said he only paid $100. That's not THAT bad. I'd likely rather pay $100 and get right up to his table than stand in line for a few hours and drop $60 for a sketch. That extra 4 hours can be used to accomplish a lot at a show!

When I met him at WWTX last November he was just sitting there sketching up something to sell (not a commission) and no one seemed interested in talking to him. I chatted him up a little bit and found out he had scheduled signing times. When I went back during those times, I got my books signed, but he was doing the exact same thing. Had I known he did $100 sketches back then, it would have been a cakewalk to get one since he never seemed to be surrounded by fans. It was strange since he was literally the first artist you see as you walk into the show.

I already miss WWTX :sorry:

I'll put in my 2c on John Cassaday

I don't see him attending many shows for some reason. If anyone knows if this is normal for him, please post as it would be great to see him again and I'd consider planning for a show that he regularly attends.

HOWEVER, he was the Guest of Honor at WWTX last November. As he was the GoH, his lines were very long and were capped typically 30 minutes before the signing took place. Sally and I got in on the wrong side of the Cap for his 2-3 signing, but they said that he's a people-pleaser and they'd let us through if he had time. Unfortunately for us, the last 2 people before the cap took 15 minutes each :frustrated: (for details, see the "Signing Limits" thread.

In any case, John had a panel at 3 and another signing right back in the same spot at 5. 3 of us decided to wait it out so we could be the first in line. He saw that we were going to wait for his next signing and pointed at the 3 of us and said "I'll do sketches". I WISH I was more into Blank Covers back then!!!

It all depends on the type of sketches you want. I can't tell you how much he charges for detailed sketches, but he can bust out small ones quickly. This one took about 20 seconds:

AstonishingX-men1.jpg

This one took about 40:

LoneRanger13.jpg

And I asked him to add to my Spider-man sketchbook, and he did this in about 30 seconds.

CarnagebyJohnCassaday.jpg

I also hear that he's got one of the fastest page completion rates in the industry. I'm sure if you were at a show with him, you'd be able to get what you want. The trick is finding him.

I talked to a guy at the CGC booth who was dropping off a sick Green Goblin head fully-colored done by Djurdjevic. I know his sign for commissions said $500, but maybe for the small area of the cover he charges less. The guy said he only paid $100. That's not THAT bad. I'd likely rather pay $100 and get right up to his table than stand in line for a few hours and drop $60 for a sketch. That extra 4 hours can be used to accomplish a lot at a show!

When I met him at WWTX last November he was just sitting there sketching up something to sell (not a commission) and no one seemed interested in talking to him. I chatted him up a little bit and found out he had scheduled signing times. When I went back during those times, I got my books signed, but he was doing the exact same thing. Had I known he did $100 sketches back then, it would have been a cakewalk to get one since he never seemed to be surrounded by fans. It was strange since he was literally the first artist you see as you walk into the show.

I already miss WWTX :sorry:

I had asked Djurdjevic about a sketch at WWTX, and was told not by him but by the booth sponsor he was working on a few commissions but to check back later. The guy wasn't too encouraging and I took that to mean he wasn't interested in doing anything other than the high dollar commissions, but maybe it was the case if I had come back he would have done a sketch on a Secret Invasion blank for a reasonable amount. I guess I'll never know.

At WWTX, he was sketching a killer Spider-man piece on a Giant board, but when he finished, it was for sale, so I can't imagine he was commissioned to do it, but he was definitely always working on something. I never dealt with the booth sponsors, so maybe I missed something there, but I also didn't ask for a sketch directly either.

As far as the $100 sketch from NYCC, the guy may not have been telling the truth. Sometimes there are people who bend the truth to make themselves look/feel better at shows For example, there was a guy at the booth that was talking to Sharon and I. He told us that he went through the same Joe Simon signing as I did (we compared times), but he said he got about 20 things signed in the course of an hour and he just kept getting things signed about 4 at a time and he would just go to the back of the line and start again. Hard to do when I'm standing in line for an hour and a half and I get turned away when I'm 4th from the front (Sally was 3rd).

Normally, stories like that don't bother me, but I had JUST gotten out of the line and was still coming down from having to crack my Turner CGC SS to get Joe's sig on it. :frustrated:

- Joe Quesada

- Todd McFarlane

- Mike Zeck

These thress I would be at the toughest, Quesada doesnt sketch at shows, McFarlane will if your lucky and Zeck is not taking comission/large sketch requests now as stated earlier

quesada is harder than jim lee?