• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Avengers Sketch Cover MEGATHREAD

1,808 posts in this topic

The way I've been told by several people, Jim Lee is easy to get if you're willing to put in the time. He does sketches for the first few people in line, but people know this and get in line VERY early as a result.

Par2ch told me he waited in line for 13 hours for his if I remember correctly.

But everyone gives the same story: be the first in line and you'll get a sketch. While it may be long and boring to wait that long, it sounds much easier than those who won't do a sketch even if you are first in line.

Quesada is harder than Jim Lee... Quesada does NOT want to sketch for people anymore, and very rarely does he do a quick sketch (mainly for charity) As mentioned here on the boards, Jim will do sketches (personalization usually required) for his first few fans in line, depending on his mood, how much time he has, etc.

I agree with NYComics' assessment. Kaare Andrews only does 1-2 shows a year, he gets invitations but decides (based on work schedule) what he can do, and he doesn't plan out his cons. He'll get an invite, assess it, say yes/no, and move on. I was lucky to get him in Phoenix.

Joel

I spoke to Djurdjevic at the NYCC and asked what he would charge for a sketch on a secret invasion and he said $500 and up.

And I was on my way.

My suggestion is to not dress so nicely at the con's. You need to dress more like a bum like my partner chris so that the artist's think you dont have a lot of $$.

Quesada is harder than Jim Lee... Quesada does NOT want to sketch for people anymore, and very rarely does he do a quick sketch (mainly for charity) As mentioned here on the boards, Jim will do sketches (personalization usually required) for his first few fans in line, depending on his mood, how much time he has, etc.

I agree with NYComics' assessment. Kaare Andrews only does 1-2 shows a year, he gets invitations but decides (based on work schedule) what he can do, and he doesn't plan out his cons. He'll get an invite, assess it, say yes/no, and move on. I was lucky to get him in Phoenix.

Joel

I would Love to see your Kaare Andrews sketch. I have been itchin for one since Spiderman Reign.

At WWTX, he was sketching a killer Spider-man piece on a Giant board, but when he finished, it was for sale, so I can't imagine he was commissioned to do it, but he was definitely always working on something. I never dealt with the booth sponsors, so maybe I missed something there, but I also didn't ask for a sketch directly either.

As far as the $100 sketch from NYCC, the guy may not have been telling the truth. Sometimes there are people who bend the truth to make themselves look/feel better at shows For example, there was a guy at the booth that was talking to Sharon and I. He told us that he went through the same Joe Simon signing as I did (we compared times), but he said he got about 20 things signed in the course of an hour and he just kept getting things signed about 4 at a time and he would just go to the back of the line and start again. Hard to do when I'm standing in line for an hour and a half and I get turned away when I'm 4th from the front (Sally was 3rd).

Normally, stories like that don't bother me, but I had JUST gotten out of the line and was still coming down from having to crack my Turner CGC SS to get Joe's sig on it. :frustrated:

Hey, I think the guy you're referring to is me. :)

Djurdevic DID charge $100 for the goblin sketch; (when I get it back from Florida I'll post it). Honestly, no one was around him, no line whatsoever. He was charging $500 for a full body sketch. I can't afford $500 for a body sketch; and in hindsight I would have paid Finch before Djurdevic. I didn't know you were on the boards, I would've introduced myself.

At WWTX, he was sketching a killer Spider-man piece on a Giant board, but when he finished, it was for sale, so I can't imagine he was commissioned to do it, but he was definitely always working on something. I never dealt with the booth sponsors, so maybe I missed something there, but I also didn't ask for a sketch directly either.

As far as the $100 sketch from NYCC, the guy may not have been telling the truth. Sometimes there are people who bend the truth to make themselves look/feel better at shows For example, there was a guy at the booth that was talking to Sharon and I. He told us that he went through the same Joe Simon signing as I did (we compared times), but he said he got about 20 things signed in the course of an hour and he just kept getting things signed about 4 at a time and he would just go to the back of the line and start again. Hard to do when I'm standing in line for an hour and a half and I get turned away when I'm 4th from the front (Sally was 3rd).

Normally, stories like that don't bother me, but I had JUST gotten out of the line and was still coming down from having to crack my Turner CGC SS to get Joe's sig on it. :frustrated:

Djurdevic DID charge $100 for the goblin sketch; (when I get it back from Florida I'll post it). Honestly, no one was around him, no line whatsoever. He was charging $500 for a full body sketch. I can't afford $500 for a body sketch; and in hindsight I would have paid Finch before Djurdevic. I didn't know you were on the boards, I would've introduced myself.

Likewise. I look forward to seeing the book!

That Goblin Sketch was sick I saw you pick it up from getting colored, you also got it signed by a bunch of other people at the show IIRC

Thanks for the compliment. It's guys like you that keep me inspired; you guys consistently get sweet sketches!

Once it comes back from Sarasota, I'll show the multi-sigs. I got two done, the other was by Coipel.

I wish I would've known who my fellow boardies were. :( Next time we can meet each other.

Thanks; we should all get "CGC board member" buttons for cons, so we can identify each other. hm

Thanks; we should all get "CGC board member" buttons for cons, so we can identify each other. hm

thats a pretty wicked idea

Man that would look great on my wall, if you ever want to sell that Danny, this Danny would take it off your hands no prob
It's actually framed and hanging in my living room. I'll let you know if I ever decide to let it go ;)