• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Most of the value will come from the #1's in any print as it's easily the most recognizable and collectible of the run. The Turtlemania book and the magazine-sized books (#1-4 and Raphael) tend to go for the most. The Fugitoid book doesn't seem to follow the same trend, likely because there's no Turtle on the cover.

There are a few here on the boards that may be interested in the books depending on how old and how detailed the sketches are. Couldn't hurt to list them here before taking them to ebay.

Very nice! Keep it up!

I keep a spreadsheet of TMNT vol. 1. It shows me the issue numbers, the top census grade for each issue, and how many copies of that top grade there are. I was updating the spreadsheet for the first time in a few months earlier today and I noticed that submissions for the first 9 issues really went up. 9.8's for 2, 3, and 4 increased pretty drastically...about 10 each or so just within the last few months and there's even been a second Universal 9.8 #9 found. At the beginning of the year, there weren't any 9.8's, now there are 3!

There was a #2 9.8 at the beginning of the year that sold for $700 on Ebay. I think that spiked submissions at least for that issue. Do you think it could have caused increased submissions for some of the other early issues? Is there any other reason submissions may have spiked?

I hope...though I doubt....that CGC keeps census "snapshots" throughout time. It always fascinates me to see how many existed in what grade *at a specific moment in time*, and I fear that information may be lost forever, except for tiny spots here and there for specific books, like yours.

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/

I've never used that site before. It looks like it doesn't take into account SS books. Is that a fair statement or am I doing something incorrectly?

please just make sure you wear some deodorant and some clean clothes...

every time i go to some kind of comic / video game / hobby convention - i feel like i will pass out.

I take the train in New York every day and everyone pushes and is rude. People are packed in like sardines on a stuffy train with hardly any oxygen. Most of the time I find my nose within inches of someones armpit, and that person usually doesn't follow typical American hygiene, so, I get to smell what they ate for the past five days the whole train ride :o

I think I am well prepared for what you are talking about at a comic con :)

lol

please just make sure you wear some deodorant and some clean clothes...

every time i go to some kind of comic / video game / hobby convention - i feel like i will pass out.

I take the train in New York every day and everyone pushes and is rude. People are packed in like sardines on a stuffy train with hardly any oxygen. Most of the time I find my nose within inches of someones armpit, and that person usually doesn't follow typical American hygiene, so, I get to smell what they ate for the past five days the whole train ride :o

I think I am well prepared for what you are talking about at a comic con :)

Edited by proventheory

I've never used that site before. It looks like it doesn't take into account SS books. Is that a fair statement or am I doing something incorrectly?

That's correct - the CGC census analysis completely ignores anything that isn't an Universal label book :cry:

Where is Valiantman when you need him? The site belongs to him. I just can't remember why he did not include SS books. I hope he sees this thread and is able to answer this question.

Guys... big day for me as a TMNT collector. While I'm often known as a low grade SA Marvel key collector... the turtles were at least as big in my childhood as Spidey, Batman, and the X-Men (which is why I started this thread ;) ).

I have to give MAJOR props to my buddy Adam who pretty much supplied me with 3 out of 4 of the first 4 issues and coordinated the signatures and sketches of the 3/4 (with many assists by Kris/thecollector). Sorry if it's blurry but I wanted to get something up to show you all...

Photo6.jpg

What's even better? Adam sold me the #2 as a 9.2 NM- Universal. It came back signed, SKETCHED, and a 9.4 NM SS!!!

:whee:

#1 6.0 certified Eastman signature; uncertified (but noted!) signature and sketch from Laird

#2 9.4 certified Eastman signature and sketch

#3 7.5 certified Eastman and Laird signatures and sketches (would have graded 9.0 but it has a small price sticker on the cover)

#4 9.6 certified Eastman signature

Edited by Mac Man

They look great side by side...could use a Raphael, though. hm I'll be sure to bring one to NYCC provided that Eastman decides to show up.

I am going to pray to whatever Turtle god I can find on google that Kevin shows up.

Mr Palmer, I have a few questions, me being a comiccon noob and all, I've never been through the process of getting CGC, much less SS. But this year I am hoping to bring a ton of books, but I don't want to hog Kevins time, or hold up the line (if there is such a thing). SO I know absolutely ZERO about what to do and what to expect going through the SS process.

Can you lend a fellow Tortoise lover a hand, maybe a link that explains what I have to do/expect etc? Or if you don't know where to find that info share your experience(s) with me? I did read one post on another thread about how to prepare the books for signing, but nothing else, which is most of the process at the actual convention.

Only two weeks left, I am feeling excited/nervous.

No problem!

Preparation is key. Here's a link from the signature room on how to make window bags for books you want signed.

Window bags

Sometimes the Heavy Metal booth will be packed with a line that will get capped (no more new people in line), other times I've caught him just standing there with no people there. Luck of the draw, I guess.

In my experience, Kevin appreciates the fans of the TMNT as they've afforded him a pretty comfortable lifestyle. I've never seen him turn down signing some books for someone in his line unless he had a meeting/panel to get to, in which case, the line should be capped anyway. I've seen some decent sized stacks of about 30 or so books that people want signed and Kevin didn't even flinch. If you brought him a whole shortbox of comics or maybe had 20 of the same issue, it might be a different story. He'll typically do small headsketches if you ask him to, but don't expect many if you have a ton of books. He seemed very gracious the couple of times I met him. Nothing but good things to say. :)

As for the signature series side of things, the best way to do it would be to catch Kevin at his booth when there's a very small line. Go to the CGC booth and tell them you need someone to witness your books. They'll send an employee with you. You get the interaction and typically the witness will just stand back and watch. Once your books are signed, the witness will take you back to the CGC booth to fill out the forms. All TMNT books are considered modern comics as they are all post 1980 (CGC's cutoff). Keep in mind that magazine-sized issues will need to be submitted separately. These include issues 1-4, Raphael, and Fugitoid. Modern SS submissions at a show are typically $27/book + shipping. I don't know what magazine subs cost off hand.

If you're going to be at the show, another option is to take your books to CGC's booth (prepped in window bags-be sure to put contact info on the backer board) at the beginning of the show and tell them you want them signed by Kevin Eastman. They take them and will do their best (with a high success rate) to get them signed. This frees you up to have a little more personal time with Eastman as he won't be busy signing a ton of books when you meet him.

Here are a few other tips:

• Unwitnessed books will not be SS'd. New submitters will sometimes get stuff signed and walk it to CGC themselves only to find that they're going to get a green label. DON'T DO THAT!
  • When making window bags, use more than one backerboard. 2 minimum, 3 if it'll fit. This keeps books in great shape as some artists/writers aren't concerned with the condition of the books.
  • If meeting someone at the show is a major priority, don't put off the meeting. Schedules change all the time. Remember, Eastman is a business owner. If duty calls, he needs to go take care of it.
  • Have fun!