• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,384 posts in this topic

50 is indeed correct. As a point of interest, The Turtlemania Specials list Gobbledygook 1 and 2 has having a print run of 150 each. This is however, incorrect. This has been confirmed many times by Kevin.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Hello All –

I was wondering if someone could help me with a possible TNMT #1 Sale that is currently being offered. In particular, it appears to be a 1st edition (with the Goobledygook ad on the inside back cover and it doesn’t list Volume #1 on the inside cover and the overall dimensions match the dimensions listed in the OSPG). I was told that the Vol.#1 may possibly have a different address on the inside cover vs. the other Vol.’s??? Therefore, can anyone help me with this? In particular, I’m looking for any tell-tale signs that will irrefutably point to whether this book is the real-deal or a later Volume or counterfeit version. The book is in the 9.0-range per my estimation and it’s a steep asking price so I don’t want to be wrong on this deal if I decide to pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance guys; any feedback/insight you can provide is greatly appreciated!

- Dave

Hi Dave,

Where's the auction? Pictures will help. I have a counterfeit and can tell off pictures if it's obviously fake. Also you mention it's TMNT #1? The real one is named "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", not TMNT on the cover.

If there's no pictures (limited description), or it's super cheap, either may be a red flag!

-Pete

Thanks for the information. It's a local sale Pete so I do not have pictures at this time but the books title is "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"... I'll send you a PM but in the meantime, is there address differences on the inside cover?

Thanks!

I've never heard of a different address in different versions. However I know about 1% compared to the rest of the guys here. Learning a ton as I go along myself!

I guess I just know about the fake version of #1 a bit better than most, since I got stuck with one :o

-Pete

Hey Moe,

As far as I know, the #1 will have the Gobbelygook Ads in the back. I would have to double check for change of address (but I don't believe that is accurate).

I have pictures I can email you of my own personal copy. djb 085 @gmail.com (no spaces). Just send me an email.

Also, going average rate for something 9.0 RAW/Graded is around $1,800-2,200

I personally wouldn't pay any higher than $1,800 if you truly think it is a 9.0 .

8.0-8.5 usually fetch around the $1,500 +/- .

Edited by DJB

The address DID in fact change between the second and third printings. In printings 1 and 2 it's listed as Dover, NH and in the 3rd printing, it's Sharon, CT. It's on the inside front cover and helps when people try to white-out/eliminate the printing notation at the top. Of course, if you've got the Gobbledygook ads in the back, you should be good cover-wise.

From the Mirage Website:

1st print

first-inside-front.jpgfirst-inside-back.jpg

2nd print

second-inside-front.jpgsecond-third-inside-back.jpg

3rd print

third-inside-front.jpgsecond-third-inside-back.jpg

Oh yeah! Make sure the color on the 1st print is red--the parts with the blood, sunrise, etc. I have a 3rd printing of #1 in addition to my 1st printing (GOT to have a reading copy after all) and the 3rd print cover is more pink where as the 1st print is more red.

:)

And I hope you get it! TMNT #1 is easily one of my grail books that stands right alongside my SA grails (and frankly, even my GA books!).

Thanks Gents! Appreciate all the help and insight! I’m going to look at the book tonight and hopefully make a purchase if everything looks good (right address on inside cover, no tell-tale counterfeit signs as shown in this thread, no visible color touch along the spine / covers)… I’ll keep you guys posted and upload front-and-back cover pic’s if I do indeed purchase.

Thanks for the well wishes Mac Man, it’s appreciated!

Good luck, Moetown!

I posted this over in the OA section, but I figured it'd be appreciated here too.

My fiancée and I will be out of town for Christmas, so we decided to exchange gifts early. She really outdid herself this time by not only commissioning this at a show months ago and keeping in contact with the artist via email, but she also convinced him to do a group shot. Michael Dooney rarely does group shots because they feel "too much like real work". To say I was surprised to see this would be an understatement.

TMNTDooney-Team.jpg

Michael told me he'd likely be making a print of this for a show in 2011. I'm hoping it's a show I'm attending. :wishluck: